Pad 3 With A6, LTE, Retina Launch Rumored to be March 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]Now, IF the iPad 3 has 4G LTE, that's awesome. But it's not the end-all-be all that some people make it out to be. If it was, speed wise, the proportional equivient of going from dial-up, to DSL, or even Cable.. Then sure.. It would be amazing..[/citation]

Original DSL was 512K and Cable was the same. Dialup was 56K. So around 10 times faster.

3G to LTE = around 3-4Mbps to 75Mbps in performance. That's ~20 times faster. So is LTE therefore amazing?

If you've used a 2G/3G/HSDPA+/whatever device and then used an LTE device for browsing/surfing/downloading/etc then you would know the difference is like night and day.

Am I correct in assuming that you have yet to truly experience LTE due to being stuck on an iPhone device?

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
As much as I hate apple, I like the idea of the double res monitor. It's viable now and for all those who say tat the res will make everything too small, just think that apple probably thought of that. Also, 4g is nice, as I have to buffer low def. videos on 3G on my phone.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Oh and people criticizing Apple devices criticize them because they're made for idiots (literally). The Interface is simplistic, though this is often sold as a positive aspect of i products, which leaves you with limited capacity for content creation. The irony is that the "Apple" types are the ones who claim to be "sooo creative".

Apple devices come with basic features, available on many other devices before them, but dumbed down for mass consumption and heralded/marketed as being "innovative" to the masses. Through this dumbing down process the individual using the device is compelled to de-evolve into something equatable to "pond-scum" in critical thinking capacities.

The Creative capacity, in the hands of the masses, is destroyed by this process. Rather than being content producers... individuals are relegated to being content consumers. It is akin to sitting in front of the TV watching Reality TV Shows. You don't control what goes on TV, you only can choose what crap to consume.

Apple is, in essence, Fascism.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]As much as I hate apple, I like the idea of the double res monitor. It's viable now and for all those who say tat the res will make everything too small, just think that apple probably thought of that. Also, 4g is nice, as I have to buffer low def. videos on 3G on my phone.[/citation]
Wait until you see the battery life on that screen when turned on and in use. Your opinion may change. Android devices have had to equip themselves with far larger batteries than their iPhone competitors in order to power their superior screens.

Apple appears to have opted to go the Android route and couple their device with a top-end screen (which was not always the case). They probably went with LG for the display so we can expect it to lose to Android Tablets in color reproduction capabilities.

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Now I love Apple... I love my iPad, and I would love to have such an impressive pixel density because it would mean I could read e-magazines without having to pinch-and-zoom every other paragraph.

BUT... if Apple did this, one or more of these would happen.
The battery life would plumet, that many pixels is going to suck power like crazy. The iPad would have to get thicker, going completely backwards to Apple's "Always thinner" mentality. The price would skyrocket even higher than it already is, which would be a terrible move in the face of things like the Kindle Fire. I don't think Apple should go for more than 1440 x 1080, that's still more than any other tablet has ever managed to get.

And yet I know, when the iPad 3 does come out everyone (including the stock-share owners) are going to bitch all the hell because Apple didn't release a piece of technology that CAN'T EXIST YET. It's f***ing ridiculous. AT THE MOST, I think they should go for 1600 x 1200, but beyond that is insane.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]PTNLemay[/nom]Now I love Apple... I love my iPad, and I would love to have such an impressive pixel density because it would mean I could read e-magazines without having to pinch-and-zoom every other paragraph.BUT... if Apple did this, one or more of these would happen.The battery life would plumet, that many pixels is going to suck power like crazy. The iPad would have to get thicker, going completely backwards to Apple's "Always thinner" mentality. The price would skyrocket even higher than it already is, which would be a terrible move in the face of things like the Kindle Fire. I don't think Apple should go for more than 1440 x 1080, that's still more than any other tablet has ever managed to get. And yet I know, when the iPad 3 does come out everyone (including the stock-share owners) are going to bitch all the hell because Apple didn't release a piece of technology that CAN'T EXIST YET. It's f***ing ridiculous. AT THE MOST, I think they should go for 1600 x 1200, but beyond that is insane.[/citation]

Actually that is why they went with Sharp on these displays. Sharp apparently had a way to do it without much power overhead. The device is supposed to be slightly thicker but I do not thing you have much to worry about on the power overhead. Might be slightly less life but not much. We will see though as I have put off purchasing of the IPad because I figured they would put the high pixel density display on it.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
22 Days till an event? So all the invitations to all the important media outlets must have been lost in the mail. Where it is being held must not have gotten the memo.

Seriously, if there was going to be an event you would think SOMEONE would be raising a flag about it. This is why rumors are usually a waste of time. There are a lot of details that need taking care of for an event. Credible rumors will have some kinda details other than tech specs.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]deanjo[/nom]You know there is some truth to that. Monitors, even the 30" ones could really use a much higher resolution. They have been stuck on the same old resolutions for a long time know. With higher res monitors of iRet pixel density you really wouldn't need to have to worry about AA anymore or hacks like sub-pixel hinting.[/citation]

Indeed, the 2560x1600 have been around for ages without any upgrades and i believe the old DVI-D have been the main issue where WQXGA (the real name of 2560x1600) is the maximum resoution @60hz. Display port on the other hand support up to 3840 × 2160 @60hz so where are the good monitors at that resolution?

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]unj008[/nom]Any hopes for gorilla glass?[/citation]
No, they installed it in the Foxconn "dorms" instead.

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
piff it's just another pointless tablet, to big to fit in your pocket to underpowered to be a useful portable computer unless all you want is a web browser and movie player but a phone does that just as well for when you are traveling.

The only interesting thing is the screen resolution, now that sort of density on a computer monitor would be awesome.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I'd still be happy with a 20" monitor at 2048x1536. The common 16:9 aspect ratio isn't optimal for my uses.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]ElMoIsEviL[/nom]Original DSL was 512K and Cable was the same. Dialup was 56K. So around 10 times faster.3G to LTE = around 3-4Mbps to 75Mbps in performance. That's ~20 times faster. So is LTE therefore amazing?If you've used a 2G/3G/HSDPA+/whatever device and then used an LTE device for browsing/surfing/downloading/etc then you would know the difference is like night and day.Am I correct in assuming that you have yet to truly experience LTE due to being stuck on an iPhone device?[/citation]

Firstly -

Real Life Speeds:
4G Speed, typically up to 10.34 (in USA)
iPhone 4S Speed, typically up to 5.17 (also in USA)

So, not 20 times faster.

http://phandroid.com/2011/02/10/4g-speed-tests-show-samsung-galaxy-s-4g-as-winner/
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/10/15/iphone-4s-verizon-vs-att-speed-test/

Theoretical Top Speeds:
4G: 42
iPhone 4s: 14.4

So, still not 20 times faster.

http://androinica.com/2011/05/t-mobile-4g-speeds/
http://www.techweb.com/news/231900353/at-t-brings-the-iphone-4s-swagger.html

Secondly -

Most of Europe and most countries outside of the USA (the majority of the world) do not have 4G support in their networks yet. So actually, the HSDPA of the iPhone 4S is FASTER than phones with 4G. Furthermore, this is exacerbated in the USA because USA doesn't support the much-faster-than-3G HSDPA (which is also why your comparison with 3G is flawed)

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?threadid=133497

Thirdly -

Dial-up is 56kbps = 0.056Mbps = ~7.1kilobytes/sec = 116 minutes for a 50MB file.

Typical SLOW DSL - 1.5Mbps = 192 kilobytes/sec = 4.3 minutes for the 50MB file

Which is 27x faster (not 10)

Fourthly -

As the speed you have increases, you get diminishing returns from even proportional increases to network speed. The majority of users who use their phone whilst out and about are browsing websites, streaming music, or rarely, video. Whereas dial-up could take 20 seconds to load a page, both HDSPA (iPhone 4) and 4G (assuming your country even has it) load pages in under a second. Similarly, both are fast enough to stream music or video with no difficulty. It's only in edge cases where you even see a perceptible difference.

Notes:

- The original poster didn't say 'original cable' he said cable, or DSL - so the fact that slow DSL was 512 at one point doesn't matter.
- The original poster was, in my view, justifying the lack of inclusion of 4G on the iPhone 4S - which is why this is the source of my comparison - not '3G'.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]helldog3105[/nom]2048x1536 sounds a little ridiculous for the size of screen the iPad has. Could you imagine trying to read non-scalable text on that? Yuck. So has there been any rumors about the graphics chipset in this one?[/citation]

There isn't any non-scalable text. Any websites you can zoom in on, any apps designed for the lower resolution will have everything scaled up automatically. Essentially everything will be just as big as before, but at a higher resolution (ie, sharper and higher quality). Where the image which has been scaled up does not have a higher quality version (which may have been what you meant by non-scalable text?), it will appear exactly the same as it does now on the iPad 2 (which is exactly what you would want).

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"Apple could put horse dung in the iPad3 and they would still sell a few million."

That is the advantage of having morons as your followers.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]ElMoIsEviL[/nom]Oh and people criticizing Apple devices criticize them because they're made for idiots (literally). The Interface is simplistic, though this is often sold as a positive aspect of i products, which leaves you with limited capacity for content creation. The irony is that the "Apple" types are the ones who claim to be "sooo creative".Apple devices come with basic features, available on many other devices before them, but dumbed down for mass consumption and heralded/marketed as being "innovative" to the masses. Through this dumbing down process the individual using the device is compelled to de-evolve into something equatable to "pond-scum" in critical thinking capacities.The Creative capacity, in the hands of the masses, is destroyed by this process. Rather than being content producers... individuals are relegated to being content consumers. It is akin to sitting in front of the TV watching Reality TV Shows. You don't control what goes on TV, you only can choose what crap to consume.Apple is, in essence, Fascism.[/citation]

Keep working on convincing yourself of what you wrote above. I think you failed and miss the point. So do a re-write with some new points you make up. Self dullusion is free so don't hesitate to spend lots of time on this.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]ElMoIsEviL[/nom]Oh and people criticizing Apple devices criticize them because they're made for idiots (literally). The Interface is simplistic, though this is often sold as a positive aspect of i products, which leaves you with limited capacity for content creation. The irony is that the "Apple" types are the ones who claim to be "sooo creative".Apple devices come with basic features, available on many other devices before them, but dumbed down for mass consumption and heralded/marketed as being "innovative" to the masses. Through this dumbing down process the individual using the device is compelled to de-evolve into something equatable to "pond-scum" in critical thinking capacities.The Creative capacity, in the hands of the masses, is destroyed by this process. Rather than being content producers... individuals are relegated to being content consumers. It is akin to sitting in front of the TV watching Reality TV Shows. You don't control what goes on TV, you only can choose what crap to consume.Apple is, in essence, Fascism.[/citation]

When I want to read my email, do I want to be 'creative' about it? Or do I want to read my email?

When I go to a search engine, do I want to be 'creative' about how I search? Or do I just want to type in a search and get a response?

Both are simply because simplicity saves time, and time saved is life gained. Phones are there to provide functionality, like checking email, browsing the web, that provided by various apps, take photographs, etc. Complexity isn't a function. It's a nuisance.

Your comparison to TV is alarming too. People who watch the news are effectively facists because they can't control what goes on TV? You sir, are a complete fanatic, with no rationality whatsoever.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Firstly - Real Life Speeds:4G Speed, typically up to 10.34 (in USA)iPhone 4S Speed, typically up to 5.17 (also in USA)So, not 20 times faster.http://phandroid.com/2011/02/10/4g [...] as-winner/http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/ [...] peed-test/Theoretical Top Speeds:4G: 42iPhone 4s: 14.4So, still not 20 times faster.http://androinica.com/2011/05/t-mobile-4g-speeds/http://www.techweb.com/news/231900 [...] agger.htmlSecondly - Most of Europe and most countries outside of the USA (the majority of the world) do not have 4G support in their networks yet. So actually, the HSDPA of the iPhone 4S is FASTER than phones with 4G. Furthermore, this is exacerbated in the USA because USA doesn't support the much-faster-than-3G HSDPA (which is also why your comparison with 3G is flawed)http://forums.appleinsider.com/sho [...] did=133497Thirdly - Dial-up is 56kbps = 0.056Mbps = ~7.1kilobytes/sec = 116 minutes for a 50MB file.Typical SLOW DSL - 1.5Mbps = 192 kilobytes/sec = 4.3 minutes for the 50MB fileWhich is 27x faster (not 10)Fourthly - As the speed you have increases, you get diminishing returns from even proportional increases to network speed. The majority of users who use their phone whilst out and about are browsing websites, streaming music, or rarely, video. Whereas dial-up could take 20 seconds to load a page, both HDSPA (iPhone 4) and 4G (assuming your country even has it) load pages in under a second. Similarly, both are fast enough to stream music or video with no difficulty. It's only in edge cases where you even see a perceptible difference.Notes: - The original poster didn't say 'original cable' he said cable, or DSL - so the fact that slow DSL was 512 at one point doesn't matter.- The original poster was, in my view, justifying the lack of inclusion of 4G on the iPhone 4S - which is why this is the source of my comparison - not '3G'.[/citation]

Your post, was 100% completely on point with what I was trying to get across. I remember dial-up days, where I was getting 3-5kbps average with download speeds.. And when I got my first taste of DSL/Cable, my download speeds where in the 200kbps. The difference between the 4S on connection speed and LTE, is as of yet, not that big of a deal. Definitely better to have, but not a "make or break" item when I am considering a purchase.

pc574

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
i live in a suburb just outside of DC. Using the speed test app on my girlfriends iPhone, I get an average of 3.5Mb. When I turn on the Wifi from my Galazy Nexus with Verizon LTE and connect her phone to this wireless network I usually get 20-22 Mbs. Once she found out how to actually launch a web browser on my phone, she never uses hers to surf the web anymore. She now uses her 4S to text/make phone calls and look at her Facebook page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS