Palm Ditches Windows Mobile

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

they should have jump in with the android bandwagon :(
the more the merrier...

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I'd prefer its on WebOS. The problem with using a third party OS is that there can be compatibility bugs you just can't work out without going back to the developer. Which means time and waiting. That, or you can go and change your hardware.

Its simply much easier to control both pieces in terms of overall quality control. Ask any computer technician: people rarely see a difference between software and hardware bugs/damage, they just want it fixed or working the way they thought it should.

G

I've had my Palm Pre for about two months now. I absolutely love it. Besides a few little annoyances, it is a fantastic OS. The annoyances can be easily fixed by Palm in the future, and most can be fixed right now in the home-brew community. WebOS is light years ahead of PalmOS, and is infinitely more stable than WinMo. I think Palm set out to copy the iPhone, succeeded and then one upped Apple. With the app catalog growing as fast as it is (would have to say 75 to 100 official apps and over 250 if you include home-brew apps and that isn't counting the Linux apps), I am hoping people will start embarrassing it as they do Black Berry and the iPhone.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
This may actually hurt Palm in the corporate arena. WebOS does not support Exchange very well. That's a deal breaker for many companies I know. There is no mobile OS that pairs with Exchange like WiMo.

Status
Not open for further replies.