Palm Pre Launching on June 6 for $199

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I've been pre-ing all my life, why should I pay money for that?
Wait did I say that out loud?

The phone looks killer but I hate mail-in rebates. Here's to hoping it kicks the iPhone's ass.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I used to be Palm fan, but the last few years were painful to watch as the innovation fizzled quickly and was virtually absent for at least 2 years. I seriously don't trust they will gather the support the iPhone has. Software is what makes it useful, and the old Palm had lots of useful stuff. The new OS looks nice, but resets the available Apps as well. Good start, but unfortunately way too late!

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I used to be Palm fan, but the last few years were painful to watch as the innovation fizzled quickly and was virtually absent for at least 2 years. I seriously don't trust they will gather the support the iPhone has. Software is what makes it useful, and the old Palm had lots of useful stuff. The new OS looks nice, but resets the available Apps as well. Good start, but unfortunately way too late!

And yes, now I am in the iPhone camp and looking forward to v3.0, but as it seems the only concern that's not addressed with the new OS is the lack of a usable Organizer (ToDo, Calendar and Contacts integrated).

G

i highly doubt it comes with the data plan if it did I'd be all over it but there is little to no mention on the web.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
1) Places like Radio Shack offered instant $100-off rebates for the Samsung Instinct, and I don't think it'll be any different for the Palm Pre.

2) iPhone has got competition, and I think that's a good thing.

3) ATT's iPhone plan is friggin' ridiculous. Sprint's customer service is inept. Pick your poison.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]theuerkorn[/nom]Software is what makes it useful, and the old Palm had lots of useful stuff. The new OS looks nice, but resets the available Apps as well. Good start, but unfortunately way too late![/citation]Not true, actually. At launch, the Pre comes with an old Garnet PalmOS emulator, so you can still run most older Palm applications, even complete with an emulated button bar at the bottom for 5-way navigation.

Meanwhile, though I'm leaning towards iPhone if the Pre doesn't work out, I want a hard keyboard (I hate on-screen keys), I want multitasking, and I have a strong aversion to iTunes. I'll be getting my hands on a Pre in-store before deciding if I will buy one, and iPhone is my backup plan, but it does have features I want.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]tofuc[/nom]i highly doubt it comes with the data plan if it did I'd be all over it but there is little to no mention on the web.[/citation] You have to buy at a minimum a $70 plan to use the Pre. It requires a data plan to even activate the device, so you may not buy voice-only for the Pre.

[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]ATT's iPhone plan is friggin' ridiculous. Sprint's customer service is inept. Pick your poison.[/citation]I've actually had good luck with Sprint service. Twice now I've used online chat with Sprint to discuss my bill, and both times they made changes without hassling me. One time I had a technical problem, and that too was solved over the course of 15 minutes on the phone. I even get better signal (more bars) than my friend with AT&T. I'm all for hating Sprint like everyone else does, but sadly, they've actually been good to me.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]tofuc[/nom]i highly doubt it comes with the data plan if it did I'd be all over it but there is little to no mention on the web.[/citation]Sprint's Everything Plan is $99 for unlimited minutes, data, text, and includes features like GPS and SprintTV. Sprint's Everything Data Plan for $69 includes everything in the Everything Plan except, instead of unlimited minutes, you have 450. The ATT equivalent of the plan is $97 for Everything Data, $28 difference... You might as well switch to Sprint with the Everything Plan for $99.

However, Sprint also has a referral program that gives you a $10 discount.

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
The clamshell look, small screen, Java based games, tiny button keyboard, being on sprint, $100 more than iPhone up front, the iPhone 2009 coming a few days later with better specs, lack of apps initially, unproven OS, unproven reliability, won't compare to app store or itunes, Palm going almost bankrupt so enjoy your warranty a year down the road, unproven screen, futurue lawsuit with apple.....

who would want this thing?

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]rexoverbey[/nom]The clamshell look, small screen, Java based games, tiny button keyboard, being on sprint, $100 more than iPhone up front, the iPhone 2009 coming a few days later with better specs, lack of apps initially, unproven OS, unproven reliability, won't compare to app store or itunes, Palm going almost bankrupt so enjoy your warranty a year down the road, unproven screen, futurue lawsuit with apple.....who would want this thing?[/citation]I think that's a matter of opinion. Who would want an iPhone when they first came out, with unproven reliability, being shackled to AT&T, not having Copy/Paste, lack of apps initially, a ton of other competing phones on the market with longer track records, no keyboard, and an boxy form factor? You're arguing largely that it's unproven. So, no one should buy anything if the competing product is already out?

But there are differences in features. The Pre is designed to fit better in your hand (rounded instead of rectangular), designed for people that like physical keys (like me), is a new web-centric model (time will tell if that works), and is there for people that just don't WANT an Apple product (those people do exist). And remember, this is the Pre 1.0. The next Pre is out later this year, and soon may be a parity with Apple's phone. Or it may die like the PS3. Who knows? But it's a valid product for people who want some competition in the market.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Two weeks from launch and not a single review anywhere. I don't know what Palm is hiding, but I find it odd that they refuse to send out review units to even the most critical tech experts.

G

That means the Palm Pre competition over at PalmGoon.com ends June 6th too!

Get posting - http://palmgoon.com/goon-giveaway-free-palm-pre/

G

Keetch, are you an idiot? Theres been nothing BUT reviews since Jan of this year, Toms Hardware, Ars Technica, Gizmod, Engadget, etc. Pull your head out of your bum and LOOK

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]FlayerSlayer[/nom]Not true, actually. At launch, the Pre comes with an old Garnet PalmOS emulator, so you can still run most older Palm applications, even complete with an emulated button bar at the bottom for 5-way navigation.[/citation]

True, though I will have to see how pen based programs really WORK with the new interface emulating the old. Of course, the eye candy is certainly amiss in the old Palm apps and it still would feel alien even if it runs. So it's really not the same.

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
FlayerSlayer: I think that's a matter of opinion. Who would want an iPhone when they first came out, with unproven reliability, being shackled to AT&T, not having Copy/Paste, lack of apps initially, a ton of other competing phones on the market with longer track records, no keyboard, and an boxy form factor? You're arguing largely that it's unproven. So, no one should buy anything if the competing product is already out?

But there are differences in features. The Pre is designed to fit better in your hand (rounded instead of rectangular), designed for people that like physical keys (like me), is a new web-centric model (time will tell if that works), and is there for people that just don't WANT an Apple product (those people do exist). And remember, this is the Pre 1.0. The next Pre is out later this year, and soon may be a parity with Apple's phone. Or it may die like the PS3. Who knows? But it's a valid product for people who want some competition in the market.

Apple has a track record of good operating systems and products. The last Palm phone had a buggy OS and had hardware problems. Being tied to the nations #1 U.S. network is not a bad thing either. Plus who says the Pre will fit better in your hands, especially with the keyboard out? The form factor is also thicker since it includes the physical keyboard (which will also wear out like every other physical keyboard). Even if it did fit better in your hands (which I doubt), I would give up comfort any day for a bigger screen. Also the Pre just won't take off like the iphone because A) Limited to certain Walmarts B) No Apple following and/or additional stores like the Apple stores C) Less Sprint stores than AT&T stores. D) Less advertising budget (how many iPhone comercials have you seen in the last month?) E) No track record like previously stated. F) On Sprint like previously stated. A smaller carier wich no one will leave AT&T or Verizon for. Plus its reviews on Consumer reports and others make it a joke. G) Previous Palm phones sucked (Centro) F) iPod touch apps compatiable with iPhone make its store even more potent. All pre apps will be slow web based including games. That to me is the worst feature of the Pre. F)Like previously stated Palm is almost bankrupt so if any recalls are made.... GOOD LUCK.

I could of also mentioned the 1000s of acceries for the iphone. Docks, Stereos, Car Stereos with ipod controls. Pre has no built in storage so more up front costs on top of being $100 more than iPhone. There are multiple features for iPhone 3.0 that won't be on Pre also (adhoc Wi-Fi, Plus iPhone already has name recongnition and is a household name. Also why won't any Pre fans compare the Pre to the new iPhone 2009?

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
rexoverbey, you have me for most of that. Granted there's a significant following for Apple that Palm doesn't have (no question there). Granted Apple products are known for quality that Palm isn't known for (though I've had a couple iPods die on me). But you lost me when you said "Pre has no built in storage", because last I checked, it does have 8 GB storage. Admittedly, though, that's less space than the higher end iPhones, and there is no SD card slot. iPhone is a powerful competitor and deserves the market share it has. I still want a Pre, strictly as a personal opinion and based on the features I've compared in my research.

Now why don't we compare the Pre to the new, unannounced iPhone that rumors say will be mentioned next month? Because we know nothing about it, at all, except rumors. Because even when they DO announce it, it still won't be out at the time the Pre is out, so the Pre will be competing with the 3G. Because it's hard to compare revealed specs with speculation of future features for an unannounced phone.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Here's to hoping it kicks the iPhone's ass.[/citation]
That would be such an accomplishment, especially since the iPhone has been around how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS