Palm Unveils Unlocked, But Pricey Treo Pro Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Great but why windows mobile? I wish phones would go the way of PCs - install any OS on them. Hopefully mobile variants of linux and symbian and android will fix this problem soon.

G

Palm=junk Windows mobile=junk. pull email=junk. poor reception (i live in NE)=junk crappy touchscreen=junk. The only reason palm has made a surge latly is because they charge 50bucks for the Centro. Oh and where does palm get off pricing there phones so expensive (besides the Centro) 400 retail for a 700w. get real no one wants that brick.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Problem is that smartphones don't really have a unified architecture, and hardware can vary widely. Also, space is limited, so you can't just have a large selection of drivers available with the OS, you need it specialized and streamlined for the application. Windows mobile is an attractive base because its one OS and is easy for hardware and software developers to develop for because they already have experience with it, so they aren't starting from scratch each time they make a phone and they don't have to deal with the added complexity of supporting every (or even several) OS's that all behave differently. Palm has been having this problem trying to support both Windows Mobile and Palm OS based smartphones, and from my experience at least, the Palm OS phones are prone to malfunction as they age. But who really wants to use Windows Mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.