Panasonic Shelves Its Portable Gaming Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
That was smart to cut their losses. The mobile/mobile gaming/mobile entertainment market is changing rapidly and is a huge gamble at this point if your device can't do everything and be cheap.

unlicensedhitman

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
It better not be those portable gaming system where it claims, "comes with over 100 games!", but really it only has 10 games with a maxium of 10 levels each.

dco

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Hopefully they do bring one out eventually competition is always a good thing and panasonic make quality products. Not that I'm a console gamer but hey I'd love to find a product that good to would make me turn.

G

They'd be wise to forget about this completely, in my honest opinion.

Aiming a console at MMORPG gamers is a pretty limited market. The small proportion of those gamers who'd be half bothered about playing their games on a tiny hand-held device makes for an even more limited market

chrisjust98

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]im_caius[/nom]Wrong title?Panasonic didn't shelve the console.They suspended it.Completely different things.[/citation]

The titles right. The last time I checked, to shelve something means to put it away for a later time.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I didn't even know they had a portable system. Good thing they abandoned it. The portable space is so crowded you can't go in there half assed like they were obviously doing.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
A decent 3G/4G connection, QWERTY pad, completely designed for online games. Sounds like something I'd actually be interested in. Sure, the games would be limited, but that doesn't mean they won't be fun. I'm sure they'd sell quite a few even if it was just a mobile device meant to play Maple Story or Runescape...

scott_madison1

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]alexkitch[/nom]They'd be wise to forget about this completely, in my honest opinion.Aiming a console at MMORPG gamers is a pretty limited market. The small proportion of those gamers who'd be half bothered about playing their games on a tiny hand-held device makes for an even more limited market[/citation]

I take it you have never heard of World of Warcraft? Even if you only sold one to a quarter of the population for this "one" MMORPG that would be 3 million units. I'm pretty sure I could be ok with that!

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Anyone remember the Panasonic 3DO console? It crashed and burned.[/citation]

i remember that they were the only console that had super street fighter 2 turbo back then. and panasonic wasn't the only company that made a 3DO console sanyo and gold star(now LG) are others that made it too

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]scott_madison1[/nom]I take it you have never heard of World of Warcraft? Even if you only sold one to a quarter of the population for this "one" MMORPG that would be 3 million units. I'm pretty sure I could be ok with that![/citation]

Just because its popular does not mean that will translate into sales to Consoles. MMOs ported to consoles don't tend to do the best. Even big name ones tend to creep in a bit, and then dwindle out.

Ironically, it might be fruitless to try launching a console (portable or otherwise) version of WoW, because most people prefer working on a PC based system for controls and typing. The weight of the current user experience in the market might mean it very hard to change people over to a console version.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean you can get people to move from one type of gaming interface to another. Look what happened when they changed SOE:SWG?

Status
Not open for further replies.