Paramount First to Sell UltraViolet Movies Directly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Tried it when it shipped free with a Harry Potter 7 Blu-ray. The reason I bought the Blu-ray with digital edition was to allow our kids to watch it on their iPads during our trip overseas. Guess what? You can't. I called and complained, and they provided me with an iTunes copy.

Bottom line: do they really think people are so stupid to purchase movies on UltraViolet ? They'll try it once, and they will complain like I did.

These studios don't get it. You cannot force us to use your product the way you want it to be used (I can only watch it on my iPhone when I am connected via wi-fi)! You want to, but we will not be fooled!

G

MPAA and other organizations just need to come out and be honest. They want to make it illegal to make digital copies of their products. Jump through this hoop, that one and the one we haven't thought of yet, and maybe you can kind of watch it on this device, but only in this format, but not that device unless you sign up for this account on that system so we can monitor all your other actions on your pc and mobile device so we can find a way to sue every customer who will ever buy a product from us.

G

[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]I can't see UV. lol[/citation]

Best comment! I'm not even looking for it!

From the moment I first heard about UV, I had pretty much made up my mind that I didn't care for it and didn't plan on using it.

Moving forward, it looks like you'll need one app for every movie studio. So if I were interested, I'd first create a folder called UV, and then wait to drag and drop shortcuts for each studios' apps into it lol.... bleh

I'm soo laid back I never feel any sort of urge to see a particular movie as soon as its available. When its available through the typical means I employ (netflix streaming / free on-demand / hbo and hbo on-demand) then I watch it.

I own a smartphone with 16GB internal memory, and a 32GB MC added. It's capable of displaying many video formats. I don't feel a sense of entitlement to the tune that I expect every movie I ever purchased to be available on the device. It has the capability, not a guarantee. I can make any movie I own playable on it if I like. I just don't care that much about watching movies on portable devices.

So to summarize, I don't care about UV. The initial concept was intriguing but it stopped there.

This comment may appear lengthy and at the same time stating a lack of interest, but that is the irony that is Tom's Hardware News Article Comments.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Simple wins the hearts of customers. And Paramount just made it anything BUT simple.

BitTorrent is simple. I don't agree with it being used for movies, but its simple and therefore loads of people do it. If you want to stop pirating, make watching the movies I paid for SIMPLE.

Why is this so freaking hard for Hollywood to understand?

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Astounding. They took a system that I would seriously consider supporting and blew it up before our very eyes, just like in an action flick - body parts flying everywhere.

Did some big studio fatcat, who understands technology as clearly as a pre-schooler understands quantum physics, decided that a protective delivery system (highly DRMed) was to loose, so it needed reigning in. They are digital Puritans.

The definition of a Puritan - one who lies wake at night worrying that somewhere, someone might be enjoying themselves.

All I want as a consumers is to buy their digital product and then use the digital copy on the digital players of my choice. Apparently this is a concept beyond the grasp of studio fatcats.

G

I have to say the Paramount/Ultraviolet initiative is a massive failure. Apparently Paramount has been so covered up in consumer complaints they shut down the complaint department and quit corresponding with complaintees.

I get better service from a one-armed paper hanger. At least he calls back.

Status
Not open for further replies.