Question Parental Control - need advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2019
Hello, I am new to this forum and I am desperately seeking help and advice about parental control apps. I need to install something on my sons phone that will allow me to block certain numbers from calling , texting , messaging both ingoing and outgoing. My sons phone is on my contract (Vodafone UK) , I have spoken to them and despite reading about their Vodafone safeguarding feature, which would have done exactly what I wanted, they tell me they no longer offer this service and to get an app to do it. Most of the apps that I look at seem to be around screen time and tracking and I am having some difficulty working out what is the best solution for our problem. I need an app that he cannot delete. Can anyone help us, we are desperate to block contact from and to these numbers.

May 22, 2019
You should be able to have the phone company setup a block for numbers, but I think that is an extra paid service for them. You should be able to block calls from just the phone options https://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-block-a-phone-number-246484/ For controlling applications you can set things up using the google family option, which you probably already have run across.
You should be able to have the phone company setup a block for numbers, but I think that is an extra paid service for them. You should be able to block calls from just the phone options https://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-block-a-phone-number-246484/ For controlling applications you can set things up using the google family option, which you probably already have run across.
Hi, thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Vodafone tell me that they do not offer this service any longer and that neither do any of the other phone companies. I would happily pay for it if they could provide it. The trouble with blocking from the phone is that my son could easily unblock if he wanted, and its important that once we have blocked contact he is not able to bypass the block. Vodafone tell me that there are apps that I can get that will allow me to block all contact to and from numbers and that my son would not be able to delete the app without know the code. I have been through all of the apps I can find listed and cannot find anything that actually does stop contact both in and out . If you know any I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. thank you .

There are a dozen other ways to call someone other than the phone number, you can use Skype, any number of texting apps, VOIP calling like Google Voice. Trying to block things for kids these days is not much more effective than telling them not to go to the party 20 years ago. They are as likely to sneak out at night, lie about where they are as they are to listen. #1 way to keep bad influences from kids is to explain why they are bad for them, and then leave it to them to deal with the consequences. If they get in trouble with the police because some kids talked them into doing stupid things, they are the ones in trouble.

My sister once took the car in a snow storm when she first started to drive. Parents said not to since she was a new driver, she did anyway. 1,000 feet from the house she crashed into a tree, had to pay for repairs. Best lessons are learned on their own.

May 22, 2019
Thanks for taking the time to reply. This is a serious safeguarding issue, the police are aware of the situation. The people contacting him are not his friends , it is with his full understanding that he wants them blocked and also has asked that we block him from making any calls or messages. i have now found an app that does what we need, its just a shame that phone companies do not take their responsibilities for safeguarding more seriously then we would not have needed to go to these lengths .

Status
Not open for further replies.