Pavilion zv5000 Power??

stephenstud

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I have this unit, and its pretty odd. I bought a new power supply, and all I get is either a blinking lighting bolt. Sometimes it will stay solid, but not when I turn it on. When I power up the laptop, the lighting bolt goes away. Then it tells me that its not plugged in when windows boots. Every once in a while I can get it to show that its plugged in(in XP), when I movie it around in the right spot. Is that a bad AC jack on the motherboard? Thanks for any input!

Solution
Yes, it seems like it could be a bad AC jack or potentially a bad PSU. I'm leaning towards the bad AC jack. It can be fixed with a little soldering. Do a little searching around Tom's here and the net for how to do it (if you want to). If the computer is under warranty, just send it in.
Yes, it seems like it could be a bad AC jack or potentially a bad PSU. I'm leaning towards the bad AC jack. It can be fixed with a little soldering. Do a little searching around Tom's here and the net for how to do it (if you want to). If the computer is under warranty, just send it in.

Solution