bkistler

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014
I had a couple hard drives short on me which led me to buying new ones, and a new power supply. I reinstalled Windows 7, updated it, and installed all the necessary drivers. My only issue right now seems to be my sound. With any speakers or headphones that I plug in, they lead to static coming from my speakers. When I plug mics in, Realtek audio manager acts strange and says that I've plugged headphones in, but sometimes recognizes the mics.

I've verified that my speakers and headphones do work by plugging them into a different device, and they worked perfectly.

The short in my system worries me that it may have damaged my motherboard to where it has effected my audio. However, I plugged a different HDD into my system to test if it was the hard drives that were bad, and the sound seemed fine.

Could it be that the drivers I'm installing are acting odd? Or possibly the short that caused this? Any help would be great.

Thanks

if you continued to have the audio issues across both hard drives then i might have said yes, perhaps you damaged the motherboard.

however, since the sound seems fine it might just be a case of buggy drivers. realtek drivers do tend to be like that sometimes.

if you continue to have problems you could always purchase a cheap soundcard and install it. just make sure that it has a front panel audio connection on it.

bkistler

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

I didn't have any problems originally. I get static out of the speakers. I planned on getting a soundcard if I can't find any help.

bkistler

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

No. Before the short in my hard drives, there were no issues. After I reinstalled Windows on the new hard drives is where the issues arose.

well if the power supply damaged the hard drive then it could have damaged the motherboard as well potentially.

it would make sense that your motherboard would be working fine and you would have no issues with sound before you started having incidents as your computer was perfectly healthy then.

however, if you currently are not having issues on your new hard drive and new install then i would likely say that its probably not a hardware issue but you were just having windows or driver problems/glitching. if you did a complete format on that other drive and installed windows then the drivers you may note that it goes away and acts like this current drive. if you still have trouble and it seems tied to the drive... i'm not sure, perhaps something glitching with the drive

if you currently have no issues with your current hard drive though.. why dont you just keep that one installed for the os?

bkistler

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

The drive I'm using for my OS is a SSD now, so I already planned on keeping it solely for the OS. I may just have to pick up a sound card.