PC audio when using 3 displays

Dhennings

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
5
0
10,510
0
Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Have a great PC in the livingroom. I have 2 PC monitors i use for gaming/web browsing, both plugged in via DVI. I also have a 5.1 speaker system i use for gaming.

I also have my living room TV plugged in via HDMI (all 3 connected to my GTX 780), and here is where it gets tricky for me.

Lets label the screens (1 and 2 for gaming, 3 for the TV)

My goal is to have the ability to put video on 3, the TV (using the TV audio output), while playing games on screen 1 (using my PC speaker output).

I haven't a clue what the best setup would be here... I'd say 70% of the time ill be playing a video through VLC and the other 30% will be a web page that i drag over to the TV (netflix, hulu, comcast, youtube, etc.) Id like to be able to choose to play these over the TV without also forcing my game audio or whatever else im doing on the computer to come over the TV audio output.

Am i missing something simple? Thanks again!


UPDATE: Any other options other than Chevolume? Looking for a free alternative possibly? Or maybe a few options to choose from if I have to drop some cash. Their can't be only one option out there for this right? I've searched using "per application volume control" and found indievolume (bad reviews) and Chevolume.
 

getochkn

Splendid
Moderator
This may do what your asking

http://www.chevolume.com/

From the website

"Per-application volume control. You want to have music on your speakers ? A good game in your headset and maybe a movie on your TV connected by HDMI? The 3 at the same time ? CheVolume is there for you and provide total control over your audio devices. Handle the volume and the sound exit of all your applications.
Try it !"

I have nothing to do with the software, just one I came across a while ago.
 

getochkn

Splendid
Moderator
This may do what your asking

http://www.chevolume.com/

From the website

"Per-application volume control. You want to have music on your speakers ? A good game in your headset and maybe a movie on your TV connected by HDMI? The 3 at the same time ? CheVolume is there for you and provide total control over your audio devices. Handle the volume and the sound exit of all your applications.
Try it !"

I have nothing to do with the software, just one I came across a while ago.
 

Kondorr

Estimable
Mar 10, 2015
1
0
4,510
0


I love it! Really good soft doing stuff Windows should do out of the box!
 

ccoo84

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
8
0
10,510
0
Hi after reading this post, I downloaded chevolume and had been using it for the past few months- then I installed windows 10 and now it doesn't work, is there another program like this I could download?
 

Dhennings

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
5
0
10,510
0
Unfortunately I'm back in the same boat now as well. Windows 10 broke chevolume for now at least. The company that makes it doesn't seem to have any sort of response or an update any time recently. Can't believe this is the only program out there top do this
 

Venae

Estimable
Aug 8, 2015
1
0
4,510
0
Hiya.

Although CheVolume broke with Windows 10, it can still work!

Tested it on Windows 10 Pro Build 10240, always running in Administrator mode seems to do the trick. The trick itself forces CheVolume to transfer the selected applications audio to your desired device. This won't be helpful to people who change audio devices very frequently over a short period of time.

E.g. You have two sound devices, A, B. A is set as default in Windows for this example.


    ■Open an application, start playing audio, using Google Chrome as an example. Then run CheVolume as an admin.
    ■Transfer Google Chrome from A to B in CheVolume.
    ■Set B as the default playback device.
    Google Chrome is now pending transfer to B, but doesn't show it in CheVolume.
    ■Set A as the default playback device.
    ■Google Chrome now be should as transferred onto B in CheVolume. It basically gets carried and dropped off. This also works whenever you simply change the default audio device, any device.


Of the alternatives I've tried nothing really beats it (At least when it's not broken!)

The combination of Virtual Audio Cable and CheVolume is just great and imho worth it for the cost.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY