PC Audio won't play through TV

steve203

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
I have a Dell PC connected to Sony TV via 3.5mm audio cable. No sound through TV. However, if I connect my iPad with the same audio cable the sound comes through the TV as expected. On the PC's sound control panel there is only an option of speakers for the playback device. It is the default and when a video is playing on the PC I can see the sound level indicator going up and down showing audio signal. But, no sound through the TV. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by uninstalling/reinstalling the Sound card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics card driver.
- Once uninstalled, reboot the laptop and it should reinstall the driver automatically.
- After the reboot, do check the sound settings.
- Right click on the speaker icon and select Playback Devices.
- Once open and if your see your TV or speaker listed, right click on it and click Set Defaults.
- Click Apply and OK then test it again.

steve203

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

Thank you. After trying these and several other things the problem remains. I swapped out the PC for another (both Dell T5500s) The second PC has no trouble playing sound through the TV. In the 2nd PC the TV displays in the Sound control panel as a playback device. It does not in the original PC.

Thanks!

BZRKturbo

Commendable
May 10, 2016

try going to control panel and selecting hardware and sound, then select sound, then under the playback tab make sure you select your tv then select "set default".

Solution