PC slows after doing nothing!

boblalux

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014
Why, O why, O why?
My laptop (Windows 7, 64 byte, VAIO) is kept up-to-date and clean every so often using Malwarebytes, Spybot and Avast Free Antivirus.
When I stop using the PC, but leave it left on for an hour or so, then return to start something, it takes about 30 seconds to react. Has it been doing something during the last hour, tying itself in a knot or something? If so how can I find out what?

Solution
It could be a scheduled virus scan or scheduled defragmentation which runs at the designated time if your PC is idle.
Either of these processes take some time to stop when you want to use your PC again, they can't stop immediately (especially defragmentation).

Have a look in the Task Scheduler for confirmation of what it may be:

Control Panel >> Admin Tools >> Task Scheduler
It could be a scheduled virus scan or scheduled defragmentation which runs at the designated time if your PC is idle.
Either of these processes take some time to stop when you want to use your PC again, they can't stop immediately (especially defragmentation).

Have a look in the Task Scheduler for confirmation of what it may be:

Control Panel >> Admin Tools >> Task Scheduler

Solution

boblalux

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014
Thanks Phillip,
My Windows set-up is in French (I live in France) but I wonder if I right-clicked the task administrator bar at the bottom of the screen, whether I would then see what is going on.