PC stereo sound not working

erichseebauer

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015
I've got a PC speaker system that has Audio In run to a subwoofer, and the subwoofer runs Audio Out to stereo speakers using your typical positive/negative speaker wire. The right channel is a much lower level than the left, so much so that you can't even tell there's any audio unless your press your ear to it. Plugging the right speaker into the left channel results in the speaker working normally. I'm not entirely certain whether this is a hardware issue or software issue.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, disabling audio effects, using the windows troubleshooter, switching to the Microsoft HD driver instead of Realtek, and using the balancing tool in the Properties > Levels menu, all no to avail.

One interesting thing though, is that the right speaker is unaffected by the balance slider in the levels menu, but does respond to the left channel slider. This is the reason I'm unsure it's a hardware issue.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
You can connect your phone instead of the PC into the speakers and see if the problem persists.
If it does then one of the amp channels in the speakers is bad.
If it doesn't then the problem may be the PC or the cable connecting the PC to the speakers.