PC to AVR HDMI Pass-through isn't working

xwickedywacko

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Hello,
I was just given an A/V receiver and some speakers for Christmas. I'm very new to AVRs. I got ARC to work after a while of fiddling and it was just a setting on my tv. I have The Yamaha VX-681 and it has 1 ARC HDMI Out and 5 HDMI In ports. When I plug in my Xbox One into the receiver, it works great, the audio and video are both great. When I Plug my PC in it is a different story. My TV just says no input on HDMI 1 which is where my receiver is plugged into.

A few weird things with that. If I set the receiver to an empty HDMI than the TV will display the receiver screen. The Receiver screen basically just says the HDMI is empty. When I'm on the HDMI with my PC, then the TV (not the receiver screen) will display "No Signal Found" whereas for an empty port on the receiver will display that.

Also if I turn on my computer from an off state it will display my ROG logo with the windows circle loading below it. As soon as it gets past that the TV will display that its HDMI is empty (not the receiver screen).

I thought it was an HDCP issue because of how it will display until it gets passed the windows turn on loading screen. From what I can find, and I double and triple checked, My PC which has a 980ti, my Receiver, and my TV all have HDCP 2.2; I mention it because from what I know everything has to be the same HDCP version and they all do. I checked in Nvidia control panel and all it says is HDCP ready.

And again, my PS4 and Xbox One both passthrough fine.

I'm really new to the world of receivers and I'm still trying to learn. I would really appreciate any help and I apologize if I had poor formatting. I'm just not sure how that really works. Thank you!

kango69

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
Make sure your refresh rate is set to 60 Hz

This is a list of compatible resolutions:

•VGA
• 480i/60 Hz
• 576i/50 Hz
• 480p/60 Hz
• 576p/50 Hz
• 720p/60 Hz, 50 Hz
• 1080i/60 Hz, 50 Hz
• 1080p/60 Hz, 50 Hz, 30 Hz, 25 Hz, 24 Hz
• 4K/60 Hz, 50Hz, 30 Hz, 25 Hz, 24 Hz

As stated above your PC resolution may not be compatible with the receiver or the TV.
Did the PC work with the TV when connected directly?
If it did try turning off any video processing that might be in the receiver. Check the receiver manual for compatible inputs via HDMI.
If it doesn't work direct to the TV then you will have to change the resolution or refresh rate to be compatible with it.
I would suggest that you set the receiver/TV as a second display so you can change that without disturbing the settings for your main display.

xwickedywacko

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Thank you for the speedy and well-explained responses. My PC does work when connected to my TV directly. In fact, it works well that way. I did also check on my computer for my graphics card's adapter settings and it said that it's doing 4k@60hz and 32bit true color. I changed video processing from "processing" to "direct" on the receiver. I also should mention that I am using new and high bandwidth HDMI cables. Theses nothing in the manual that would suggest to me that it wouldn't work to have my PC plugged in. All it mostly says is that you can do audio and video through the HDMI or you can do a few AV options for sound and do just HDMI for video.