Gremson

Estimable
Feb 5, 2017
Hello everyone,

I had my laptop for more than 4 years now.

A few month ago, when i was playing, sometimes there were random fps drops, like if the computer was unplugged, that lasts for a random time. I wasn't able to figure out why at this time, it wasn't a big deal.

It happened more and more often as the time passed so i started to look further into it and i found that my cpu was running at about 95°C (203°F) when i was playing games such as GTA V for more than 30mins.

After trying the intel diagnostic tool (all the process goes well), searching on Google and asking some friends, it turns out that the best thing to do was to change the thermal paste and see if it could solve the problem.

I bought the Noctua NT-H2 (not conductive) and applied it on my CPU and GPU.

I was very careful during the process:
I grounded myself and i followed the instruction to apply the thermal paste.

When i booted up the first time, the pc went up to the Windows login page, and then suddenly the screen became black.
I tried to boot again a couple times but the screen stays black..

When i turn it on, the fans and HDD are starting, the keyboard lights too, but no screen, it stays on for about 30 seconds and start again. It's an endless loop.

I can't access BIOS.

There are no beeps at startup (only if i plug or unplug the power cord).

By following the many threads on the web i tried the following solutions:
  • cleaned again the motherboard
  • reapplied thermal paste (2 times for a total of 3 new applications)
  • tried to boot only with HDD CPU and GPU, with and without power cord
  • tried to put the ram in the other socket (there's 2)
  • tried to plug an other screen (i only have an HDMI port)
  • cleared CMOS
Nothing worked.

I can't take off my CPU or GPU as they are welded to the motherboard.

As i disassembled my laptop a couple times to clean the dust i'm sure that all the wires are plugged correctly.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire V Nitro Black Edition VN7-791G
Intel Core i7 4710HQ
Nvidia Geforce GTX 860M
8GB RAM
HDD 1To
SSD 128Go

Did anyone already had the same issue ?

Maybe a miracle solution to make my laptop alive again?

Thanks

Last edited:
Then the problem isn't the computer not working but the display being an issue. Try the following to determine if it is a driver, the display itself, or the GPU.

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

rico57

Great
Aug 27, 2019
hi
did you remove your battery to do this repasting ?
try to boot without battery.
may be changing and reprogramming Bios Eeprom would help (keep original ship in case...and beware of pin 1 position)
if you have access to a thermal camera, you can check for shorts on MB.
(both sides)
good luck

Gremson

Estimable
Feb 5, 2017
So you tried all the options listed? If that is the case then the GPU, possibly even the motherboard, will need replacing.
Yes I tried all the options, none of them worked..

hi
did you remove your battery to do this repasting ?
try to boot without battery.
may be changing and reprogramming Bios Eeprom would help (keep original ship in case...and beware of pin 1 position)
if you have access to a thermal camera, you can check for shorts on MB.
(both sides)
good luck
Yes i unplugged all the components and took the card out of the case.
I did the bios reset with the cmos battery trick, I don't have the little pins to reset it.

I will try to find a thermal camera, I'm not sure that one of my friends has one but thanks for the advice!

I'm wondering if I'm not going to order a new one on AliExpress, the references aren't exactly the same but the motherboards are identical and there are the same components and ports on them

rico57

Great
Aug 27, 2019
hi
if you have all voltages, and no short, try to change Bios chip, replace with new chip with correct microprogram on it.
keep original chip in case ...