PDF reading,Internet browsing and Videos

Shekhar5

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Hello friends,

First some of primary info about my quest..

1. Is This Your First Time Buying A Tablet? Yes.

2. Do you already have an operating system in mind? iOS, Android, Windows 8

3. What screen size do you have in mind? 8 inches or bigger, don't know much about resolution in case of Tabs, I mean how much difference would it make.

4. Preferred Brand :- No preference

5. Brands Not Preferred (specify why) :- Never used a tab before.

6. How much do you want to spend on your tablet? Around $300

7. Do you have cellular service? Or do you want the tablet to be WiFi only? WiFi and 3G, No cellular.

9. Do you want the tablet to be a full laptop replacement? No

How I want to use it : Right now I have a Windows PC. My primary use of this tablet would of reading a lot of PDFs and internet browsing and videos. Specific requirements relating to my use are listed below.

1. I want highlight, strikethrough and add notes functionality in PDFs.

2. A very good support of dictionary with convenience.

3. A feature like in Safari browser (in Mac) to export any webpage as a PDF to local HDD.

4. There should be no problem watching videos online.

5. This Tablet should be connected to PC for easy data transfer, videos,music,pics etc...

6. Webpages and PDFs should be displayed good so I can read them easily.

So I am confused between iPad Mini (16 GB) Wi-Fi and Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Inch and Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 T 311 there could be more but I don't know. I don't know which one of these would serve me best as three of them use different OS and I have never used a Tablet before.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated friends.

Solution

Haven't had any experience...

Shekhar5

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Thats good but you know what, it is India and Nexus 7 costs $350 here. I am not sure when will Nexus 8 be available here and at what price. Meanwhile I watched some videos and Kindle HD 8.9 seems to be a good one.

Username101216

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014

What I don't like about Kindle HD is their FireOS, if you can get used to it it's a great choice. I personally don't like the interface. To me they modified everything good about the Android experience

Shekhar5

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
I can understand your point as FireOS is not an open world like Android. Android lures me a lot but I am inclined towards Kindle because its size, good resolution and it is inherently an ebook reader. Another thing I found today is side loading apps in Kindle, so I thought if I don't find any app in Kindle store I can side load it.

If you have had any experience with Kindle HD, would you please tell me that if it would be good from reading ebook/PDFs point of view? I mean do we feel tired after reading some time? or do we need to zoom again and again to see texts clearly? Or any other problems one could face when reading for 6 to 7 hours a day on it?

By the way thanks for kind response.

Username101216

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014

Haven't had any experience with it but I found this review : http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2013/12/21/amazon-kindle-fire-hdx-8-9-review-an-unmatched-hardware-experience/
Excellent battery life, and Amazon promises a 50% increase in longevity during times when you're reading in the Kindle app
You can look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZbRd93f7p4 , consider buying Amazon Kindle Paperwhite if your main purpose is reading.

Solution

Shekhar5

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
OK we can end this conversation here as we haven't received many diverse opinions. I am going for Kindle.

Thanks for the input Username101216. Take care...