Pebble Shows First Smartstrap Prototypes for Watches

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Quick question: Why not use the strap in the header image (square chunks with two links) as extra batteries inside those square chunks?

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Why not use a classy mechanical watch and use your already expensive phone ? People wanted QHD resolution big screen, colors, powerfull CPUs in their phones just to use it on a tiny idiotic ugly watch, WHY ? A watch that will loose it`s value in less than 2 years, while a fancy mechanical watch will keep it`s value for ages.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Dude, shhhhhh! Why are you talking so much common sense? I'm trying to convince myself that a smartwatch actually has a good use case for me! Unfortunately I haven't quite done it yet...

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
There are dozens of synergistic possibilities that come to mind immediately when you consider the ability to pair a smart watch with a smart phone. For instance, instead of using a Bluetooth earpiece, you can go full Dick Tracy and do a facetime with your watch. Or if you lay your phone down somewhere and forget about it, rather than spend the next five minutes trying to find it, you can use your watch to ping your phone. Or have a proximity alert that goes off when your phone moves a certain distance from the watch. That would keep your phone from casually walking away from you in someone else's hands. Being able to casually see who is texting or calling, and pass it off as just checking the time. Very useful in a meeting where you don't want to look like you're bored to tears or completely distracted.

Mike Andronico

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks for the responses, guys. An Apple-owned Pebble would certainly be interesting, but it would move Pebble out of the affordable smartwatch range that makes it so popular. The general skepticism towards smartwatches is certainly warranted, but at the very least, there seem to be more options for both big spenders and budget shoppers who just want a nice watch that happens to provide notifications, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.