Pebble Time Watch Unveiled: Color ePaper Display, New OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I feel like Pebble is the only company who can get it right... long batter life, waterproof, above all, it is a watch. Other companies seem to be trying to do too much with their iWatches.

bungalowbill2

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
As an owner of the first Pebble, I wish they would get that right first - buggy software on the phone, frequent Bluetooth disconnects - and not just me, the Pebble forums are awash with people with similar complaints. Let's hope the new product doesn't mean early adopters are left with expensive but less than functional junk on their wrists..!

lourson

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
I've got a Pebble Steel and I don't experience any issue with the software. From what I read in forums, it's more likely to happen with 3rd parties apps, which can mess with your watch. I was a bit skeptic at first because for sure it looks much less sexy than a Moto 360, but actually I feel that the features usability outweight the cons right now

MyDocuments

Estimable
Jun 21, 2014
A friend has one of the original (plastic) ones and also complained of the Bluetooth disconnects. He also incidentally would have liked it to be able to store more than one connection-profile for Bluetooth devices as he regularly swaps betwen a company phone and his personal one (the Bluetooth pairing precedure can be a bit tiresome).

I looked into one for myself, read a few user reviews and ended up actually thinking it would be cool for my elderly father who wouldn't need to reach for his phone to see alerts & messages but instead just lift and tilt his wrist. An elderly lady mentioned just such a use case. I could then keep in contact a bit better and set his phone/calendar-alarm to remind him to take his medication, and other such ideas.

I also read one such case where a guy connected his young son's Diabetes monitor via a mobile phone to the Internet and then back via his Phone to his Pebble so that he could remotely monitor his son's sugar levels. With the capability to write your own apps that is some smart thinking.

A very real, and not exaggerated, 7 day battery life would help me decide sooner on such a device, I guess I'll await the reviews to see if the marketing lives up to it's promises.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I really like this.
Not into smart watches, so I wouldn't buy one, but at the same time I probably wouldn't return it if it were a gift.

lourson

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
On my Pebble Steel I've got 7 days battery life if I shut it down at night. If not, it's more like 4 days. For elderly I'm not sure it's that great because the screen is small and the buttons might not be that easy to use. Not sure about this use case.

Ravi Palwe

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
I would like to see, how pebble integrated new OS for older version watch (Pebble Steel). I still like my watch design and loved new OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.