People Returning the Galaxy Tab at a Rate of 16%

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Because it's not Apple. Why would anyone want to get stuck with an inferior second-class product when they can get the engineering marvel that is iPad for as little as $500?

dtm4trix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Because it's not Apple. Why would anyone want to get stuck with an inferior second-class product when they can get the engineering marvel that is iPad for as little as $500?[/citation]

Really? Is that why? Let the flame wars begin.

iPad=Big iPod touch .... and not much more. iPad2 could be interesting but we will have to wait and see.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Because it's not Apple. Why would anyone want to get stuck with an inferior second-class product when they can get the engineering marvel that is iPad for as little as $500?[/citation]The sarcasm is strong with this one...

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
because its so f-ing stupid that they took the most important PHONE function away from the US version of Galaxy tab.

before any of u say oh tab is such big piece why would I want to make calls with it ? because it can and I have been using the "unlocked" version for over a month, it comes with a handsfree, I just leave the thing in my bag and it works just like a regular cell phone with handsfree.

I was seriously consider buying it (cuz the galaxy tab is actually my friend's, he won it from a contest, freebie but he has like 2 phones so he lend me the tab) but I didn't buy it at the end cuz I have my own phone and Im not ready to get rid of it yet (just got it like 1/2 yr ago)

I know you can root/hack it to enable the function but its not even 100% working. its just a stupid move by T-mobile.

G

It is ludicrous that in the US the Galaxy Tab does not have a phone functionality. I have one and I live in Italy and I find it to be a great product. Yes, it is not as sleek as Apple products, the iOS is definitely much more streamlined and smooth operating but with a bit of fine tuning (easily done with the thousands apps downloadable FREE) it is a fantastic tool to work, surf or have fun everywhere. On top of that, think about it, if you have an iPad (500$) to make phone calls then you need an iPhone (another 500$ perhaps) to make calls. How much does a Galaxy Tab costs?
I think it is a good deal cheaper than iPad + iPhone combo...
And iPad and Galaxy Tab are two very different thing, probably not even comparable. The former is a Pad, the latter is a large Smartphone.

G

I think it is because people not in a reality distortion field realize that is not better then using a desktop or laptop for really anything besides lounging, and its more of a pain to carry then their already robust smart phone.

G

Im with stm1185, we have too many devices, and if u already have an android mobile, a netbook a laptop and a desktop, Having a Table makes no sense... And in addiction it is to expensive, think about it we pay 250€ for a netbook with a useful x86 cpu, with more horsepower a bigger HDD and the posibility to install different OS according with our needs. Should we pay twice for removin the keyboard, getting worse performance, and the only advantage, is that it is 1cm thinner... Tegra 2 will also make no sense (4 tablets) as long as intel, integrates they new graphic card on next atom gen.

snoogins

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I'd say it comes down the the fact that there isn't the same cult following that apple has. Add to that the fact that CES just showed us how many products that should be out this year that are way better than the original, and it makes sense.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
All Things D pointed to this? You mean those two people who don't know anything about technology that isn't from Apple's stable?

Yeah, i'm just going to ignore this...

G

16% returned doesn't seem very high for a tablet when Google said dont put this OS on a tablet yet.

The real thing might be worth waiting for...

wingman23

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
First of all the tab didnt sell 2 million units as they first reported, that was the number they shipped out to suppliers to sell, the number of units sold are much smaller than that.. Also reading around, the main reason that seems to be reported for the returns is to do with the operating system not being up to the job, and samsung should have waited for the new breadcrumbs. I actually like the galaxy tab it really has some great potential over the poorly decked out IPAD. All the Hype talked about the IPAD is ridiculous, how great it is, when it isnt, its just a big IPOD Touch and nothing else. Some people would buy a lump of excrement if it had Apple written on it. Ive used both the IPAD and the TAB and the Tab offers more for less money, Samsung just have to get it right and they will be onto a winner. I mean why should i buy an IPAD when i have the same in the IPOD TOUCH. makes no sense to me, I will be waiting for the TAB myself to sort itself out.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Both are good products.
I tested both and i really like both experiences.
I think Apple iPad is the main reason why this kind of products have now so much success. Apple products are very well accepted on the market and are seen as inovations. Its usage is pretty familiar or almost equal to most of other Apple products such as iPhone and iPod Touch.
Samsung Galaxy Tab is the alternative for those who want a great tab product but don't care to have Apple products. Also the Android platform is also a great alternative and have great applications available.
My 2 cents....

G

I hate apple and no longer use any apple products, even after having 2 iphones in the past. However I demo'd the tab and ipad together, and I must say the ipad was a much nicer experience. For starters, size still makes a huge difference. I think apple got it just right in terms of screen real estate, whereas the tab is just guessing that maybe people want something a little smaller. I think they guessed wrong. Also because the ipad is bigger, they can make it thinner. People like to hold sleek thin devices, they seem more high-tech and streamlined. The tab on the other hand is thicker, no doubt a result of it being smaller trying to cram all that hardware inside. As a result it feels more like a brick in your hand than a piece of paper like the ipad.

Lastly there was some UI issues compared to the ipad. Apple's #1 priority in developing software is to make sure it runs as fast as humanly possible. The tab had a lot of lag in launching apps, and sometimes the browser window would scroll a little choppy. Safari never has this issue, and webpages scroll silky smooth 100% of the time. This makes the tab feel inferior like it cant do what the ipad can.

I spent more time with the ipad in store than the tab simply because it felt better. However I will never buy another apple product again due to their arcane software policies and totalitarian control scheme. If I want to feel like I live in Pakistan then I'll move there thank you. Give me Android so I can actually do what I WANT.

G

I'm commenting on from a Tab. I purchased my Tab because of several reasons. I really enjoy having Flash in my browser. I have gotten better web content than my buddy has from his ipad. Second, most apps are free on Android. Yes there are more on Apple, but eventually they appear on Android. Of cousre tech develops faster than we can keep up. Back in November,if google would have announced the xoom, i might have waited. Another plus in my purchase, T-Mobile offers unlimited data plan, Att not somuch, my tab is not phone, which a good thing. Apple also has just announced a change in in app purchaseing restrictions, meaning this can be a problem of buying books from Kindle app. Not a problem for Android. Apple is a brand, which use to purchase back in the day,but they have become what they have always hated, another Microsoft. In a year or two I will upgrade to another tablet, and then I will see something better in 6months.

Sashmo99

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Everyone has made good, decent, and poor arguments for both sides. Why choose one over the other.

But remember, this article is about why people are returning the TAB. I think the winning argument is because there is no real need for it, YET!

Someone mentioned that Apple products are innovative, and another that they have a cult following. These are the two main reasons the iPad was such a success. It IS cool, and it IS nice to use. But in reality, there is no real world reason why anyone Needs a Tablet, yet!

The Tab is missing three things Apple's iPad is not:

1) First to market an innovative product (innovative in that it had never been seen, not particulary because it is a disruptive tech. like the original iPod)

2) Cool factor. Apple dominates in the "details" department, and those details are damn cool. The UI is always silky smooth, the screen looks nice, the device feels amazing to hold. It is almost as if functionality itself is a feature in Apple world, and no one else cares enough to make that happen. Whether or not that is technologically more advanced that Andriod is unclear to me, but it is also completely unimportant. Apple always wins the Cool Factor award.

3) Cult following. It is exactly that the iPad is a bigger iPod Touch that people want if. How many people do you know who have an iPhone, or iPo touch? A lot. And a majority of those people would not mind having a bigger version laying around. And even more so, a large majority of that sub-demographic specifically has the resources to buy an iPad without blinking twice.

The bigger question, in my mind, is whether or not Tablets can solve a real need. That is to be seen. Until then, no one will do as well as Apple in the sales department. FACT

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I still don't see a point to owning a tablet. I have a smartphone, a laptop and a desktop at home. Do I really need a Galaxy or an iPad? No, I don't.

There's one sliver of time that I'm resting at home or listening to music, and you want me to take up that time with another screen? That's stupid.

As for the Galaxy...it's been outmarketed. Android has inferior apps on average due to segmentation, hacking (openness) and a bad revenue structure. The uniform world of iOS is absolutely slaughtering the competition.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
People are asking what the real need for these devices is, and I had wondered that when they first started getting popular (iPad release).

But I'm starting to consider buying a tablet of some sort soon, because I study at university, and so far there have been 3 recommended books for the course, all about 1300 pages long, and about £60 ($97 us). But there are pdf versions of these books freely available on the internet, I have them on my galaxy s.

A tablet would be a perfect study aid, acting as any book I care to put on it, aswell as a calculator / MATLAB (on a win 7 tab) / Excel etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.