Perplexing power issue of laptop in third world env't

huntfrank

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
Want a challenge? My laptop has a really weird power issue.

Randomly a few wks ago, when i turned my 3 or 4 year old toshiba satellite p745-s4217 (running Windows 10) on. Before windows ever loaded, it died.

I tried again, and tried to see if i can get into bios. It died before getting to that the first time. Then worked the second time. Date/time and everything was fine in there. I was in BIOS for a good 2-3 minutes before it died again.

Then after looking online for suggestions, i did the following:
- unplug battery and ac; hold power for over 1 minute, replug and turn on... same
- plug battery, unplug ac; hold power for over 1 minute... same
- did step 1 again... same
- took RAM out of one slot... tried. Then swap the slots... tried. Then took out of one and swapped... all same results (same as in it dies. However, it stays on for varying lengths of time: from 8 seconds minimum to max of 2 minutes)

Then i saw a suggestion to clean the laptop's end of the ac connection and pull the little tabs inside out a little to increase contact. IT WORKED! And it stayed on for as long as i wanted. (the battery was out)

The next morning, I plugged the battery back in and unplugged the ac to move the laptop. Tried turning it on. Back to same issue again. Tried a few more times, and tried power contact trick. Won't work. Groan!

Came back the next evening, unplugged battery and ac, held power for over 1 minute and pulled down contact points, kept battery out, and it worked for hours!! (The heavens opened up too... ok not quite.) I backed up a bunch of things. Turned it off and was careful to not unplug. Plugged in the battery. Now won't work. So tried simply unplugging battery to turn on, it won't work.

Strangely, roughly 50% of the time I can get this to work:
1) plug battery in, try to turn on, it dies after a few second, or it may stay on for literally 5 minutes.
2) unplug battery, try to turn on, nothing.
3) keep battery unplugged, unplug ac, hold power for over 1 minute, plug ac back in - now stays on.
4) as soon as i power off, it'll have troubles again... even w/ battery still out. So must do step 3 to get it to stay on.

Frustrated at it, I left it alone for a few weeks w/ the battery and adapter plugged in. Tonight I turned it on and it worked immediately and stayed on the whole time. Go figure.

Two last addendums:
1) The laptop’s original battery had no charge a year ago so I bought a generic one. It’s been working fine.
2) I work in community development and this laptop has been in a third world country env’t (i.e. more dust and humidity) for roughly three years.

Perhaps it’s either a battery or motherboard issue. Hardware geniuses out there... any ideas for this quandary????? =( On a non-profit salary, I’d really prefer not to have to buy a new laptop. Thanks in advance!

Solution
In the thirteen years I've beening fixing PCs I have never hgad two identical laptops in here. It would have to be the same make model and even then some model go through design changes in the name of improvement.

Good luck with that though - it would point to the real culprit.

Thought - where you live, do you have fused plugs at the wall socket and if you do, have you checked that fuse is working?
Does that new battery have exactly the same figures as the charger unit in that the Voltage and Amperage? It's those that, when muiltplied together should come out at the Wide Range Input figure. A simple example would be 13Volts @5 Amps would come out to 65.

Have you tried it on battery alone? It does seem likely that the power jack in the machine has gone West (South in the US) and that's a desoldering and resoldering job to fit a new one. Desoldering inside a laptop is a nightmare.

huntfrank

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016

Thanks very much for your idea! Here are my specs...
Replacement battery: 10.8volt 4400 mAh / 47.5Wh
Power Supply for laptop: Output - 19volt 3.42A

When I bought the replacement battery it had the exact model # of my laptop listed so I assumed it'd be compatible.

huntfrank

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016

Here's another data point... today, I was using it for 15 minutes or so without the battery (Just power adapter). Suddenly it dies. I got sick of it and didn't touch it for a while. After less than a minute, it booted back up as if it just went to sleep. I used it for a few minutes more, it did the same thing. However, on the third time, it stayed dead.

Does this lend support for the power jack theory?

huntfrank

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016

Last night I left the battery in all night w the power cord connected. Tried today to unplug but start w battery in. Died right away. (However I guess if it's the power jack issue then it probably wasn't charging well the whole time. Probably should try it out w a fully charged battery from another toshiba- if it runs fine then it's def the power jack. What do u think?)

In the thirteen years I've beening fixing PCs I have never hgad two identical laptops in here. It would have to be the same make model and even then some model go through design changes in the name of improvement.

Good luck with that though - it would point to the real culprit.

Thought - where you live, do you have fused plugs at the wall socket and if you do, have you checked that fuse is working?

Solution