Phenom II or i3-330 ???

Hau5fly

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Hi everyone, i cant make my mind up, my dilema is which processor do i go with, my choice is either one of these:

Asus K52N
AMD Phenom II N660 3GHz
3GB RAM
320GB HDD
15.6" HD LED
ATI Mobility Radeon HD4200

OR

Asus X52F
i3-330
2GB
320GB DVD-SM
Intel HD Graphics Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0

Both are £300, but which one should i go for??? (its the RAM that is confussing me, do i go for more on the Phenom? or less on the i3?)

any help is appreciated, cheers

G

i3 would be more battery effecient choise over the AMD.
On some light gaming prupose go with AMD, cuz i3/i5 has a really buggy 1st gen Intel HD GMA video adapter.

cptpoppinfresh

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
You wont ever be doing any gaming on these computers, so you might as well get the battery life with the I3. the only problem I have with the Intel is the terrible 2gb of memory. If you can ( it requires no technical skill at all) you should look into installing 3-4gb.

Hau5fly

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
briliant guys, cheers.

i wont be doing any gaming but will do some light work with photoshop/illustrator...nothing substantial enough to demand a larger budget,

batt isnt much of an issue as i will be plugged into the mains mostly.

will upgrading RAM myself be expensive or hard to do? will it be noticeably better?

cptpoppinfresh

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
upgrading ram is just about the easiest thing you can for your computer. I highly recommend it if you're doing any photoshop, video editing, etc.

You'll notice a considerable difference in the speed of browsing the internet, photoshop and other memory hogging programs.

Aside from that, It'll just make your computer feel more responsive all around.

Its about a 25 dollar problem. The great thing is if you dont have the money at the time you can do it whenever you want.

cptpoppinfresh

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011

He's buying a notebook.

Hau5fly

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Cool, i dont think i can afford a new i3, but are we agreed that an old i3 is better than said Phenom?? : S