Philips' LED Lightbulb Uses 17-watts as 75-watt Replacement

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
This LED is not really that energy efficient. CFL is better. An 18 watt Phillips Essentials CFL based lamp can replace 100 watt of incandescent lamp (that's what Phillips wrote on its package) :).

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
CFL's = bad. You know you are supposed to recycle them because they have mercury in them (not talking about throwing them in your recycle bin either). If one breaks, you are supposed to leave the room for 15 minutes. Read the carton.
I can't tell you how many people i've seen throw them away in the trash. Scary because it goes into the landfills, and then seeps into the ground, and into the water. Now multiply that by 6 billion people throwing them away.
I only buy incandescents. I'm all for led bulbs as long as they don't have poisonous materials in them.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Ahumado[/nom]I've stockpiled the incandescents cause CFL's are a hoax. As for LED's too expensive. Obama and his cronies want to change the way everyone lives[/citation]

Hmm a hoax. Well it dropped my electric bill instantly been 3 years now none have died and the nice 65000k white blueish light is much better to look at and doesn't look so dirty and crappy. A lot of people would like to see more efficient lighting used Obama might be one of them i don't know. But anyone who doesn't want more efficiency i question your sanity. I would love to buy a 1watt LED light to replace most of my lights but I'm not paying $40 to $80 for the luminescence i need. It might just last 10 years or whatever but it takes half that life to pay for its self. I just don't have the up front money to do that to my whole house.

[citation][nom]masterbinky[/nom]OK, so how many people know that when CFL's fail, they EXPLODE. It's all in the mercury and stepping up the voltage yadda yadaa....[/citation]

You say yada yada because you have no freaking idea what your talking about. My whole life i have never seen a CFL explode ever when it burns out. It just makes a pop like any other bulb and goes dark.

[citation][nom]masterbinky[/nom]I’m sorry if you’ve been misinformed about the risks. I've had the damn CFL bulb explode, nice little arc blast, melted, kinda scary really. The ballast is the part that heats up, most fixtures are designed to dissipate heat from the bulb not the base. If there is not adequate venting for the BASE of the bulb, it will hopefully just burn out quicker. Examples of bad fixtures are in ceiling fixtures, outdoor fixtures without ventilation, desk lamps without the vents at the base. It was even a GE bulb, I didn’t go out of my way to buy the cheapest one china makes.They say it’s misuse of the bulbs, but there is not a damn thing on the packaging to suggest they cannot be used anywhere a standard incandescent bulb can.http://www.wattworks.com/CFL%20Hazards.htmhttp://synergylightingusa.com/cfl- [...] fire-risk/http://edisontechcenter.org/CFLs-Rick.html[/citation]

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Sorry for double post but this site been just making posts for me before i am done.

Anyways i use my CFL in every fixture my old bulbs were in for years now with no issues. Sure ok they might burn out faster but its been 3 years and with how much my electric bill has come down switching to them they paid for them selves the first few months at the most. So money well spent imo. I'm not a fan of what is used to make them but they work perfectly for me.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
These LEB Light bulbs are expensive at $40, so there not too much sense in adapting it this early.
Hope some competition would step in to reduce prices below $40.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]NezzyMighty[/nom]May be a good time to purchase Philips company stock, especially if the rumors are true that the US is going to mandate consumers to change use to LEDs (I thought this was a free country)...[/citation]

Having a pulse-modulated primary light-source in the home is BAD for any generation not having grown up with them. An LED's flicker is far more severe than florescent lighting due to the high cyclic rate. It may be OK for developing children to grow up with, however it WILL alter their brain's development (just as cell-phones are now); heck, it will even modify cellular growth in plants. Getting a headache is the least of one's problems, 'cause these lights will CAUSE pre-mature Alzheimer's!
The US will be forced to sell "DOE Approved" lighting only, which is ridiculous because LED's are BAD, M'kay??

G

Like all cutting edge fledgling technology they do demand a premium. Strictly in terms of power consumption they will (assuming the meet their advertised life span) save money over years of usage. Another factor to consider is heat production that adds to your household heat load and impacts your A/C usage. This is not factored into their cost calculation but one could imagine a few hundred less watts of heat input per room during the summer would impact A/C run times significantly lowering power consumption. Then there is the short lifespan of incandescent bulbs, in my experience I'm happy to get more than a few months out of one. Ten lightbulbs at $2 ea or 1 that will probably outlast even that for $30 without accounting for electricity usage. It's a large initial investment but over time it makes sense. Prices will invariably drop, I remember a $25k plasma tv from 15 yrs ago that wouldn't fetch $500 today so just give it some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.