Philips Unveils Ultra-Widescreen HDTVs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terjeber

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
[citation][nom]scryer_360[/nom]The thing about it is, 16:9 was adopted because it fit with how most filming would occur in the future,
And all movies being sent to screens today are 16:9[/citation]

I'm sorry but WHAT? I just checked a bunch of theatrical releases from bluray.com to see what aspect ratio they had. From the "Newest Reviews" I found the following (16:9 is 1.78:1):

Election: 2.35:1
Death Race: 2.35:1
Friday the 13th Unrated Delux Edition: 1.85:1
Alexander Revisited: The Final Cut: 2.40:1

OK, some of those are pretty old
Crash: 2.35:1
Dan in Real Life: 1.85:1
Mama Mia: 2.40:1
The House Bunny: 2.40:1
The Women: 1:85:1

OK, this is getting silly. Did I find any with a 16:9 aspect ratio? Sure I did. We have, for example, When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions, Category 7: The End of the World, Blackbeard. Do these have anything in common? Yes, they do, they are all made-for-TV releases.

Quite frankly I can not remember having seen a single made-for-theater release in 16:9 aspect ratio ever. I assume there are, but I do not recall having seen any.

terjeber

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
[citation][nom]pereirdp[/nom]2.35 to 1 just reduces the quality of the viewing experience.These changes are approaching the pt of absurdity.[/citation]

So you are saying that all movies made, more or less ever, are of poorer quality than what they should have been due to incorrect aspect ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.