Phone getting ghost calls?

Genralkidd

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
I have an HTC EVO V 4G (EVO 3D) on Virgin Mobile. Recently, my phone's been doing a lot of weird stuff. It started when every day I'd get a call from one of my friends on my contacts list. However, my friends claim they never called me and it happened once when my friend was with me and his phone wasn't doing anything. The pattern I get calls from my contacts seems to be based on who I text the most. When I answer the call, it's just absolute silence, no sound at all. After a couple seconds, the call gets disconnected. It does show up in my call logs, but everyone's call logs shows that did not call me at all. All my friends are on different carriers. Just the other day, I received a text message from 9355 and it seems to be a bunch of random text that appears to be an encrypted URL. Almost as if it was trying to obtain a text message or something like that.

Can anyone explain what's happening to my phone with all these random ghost calls or even the mysterious text message?

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Sounds like your friends might just be screwing with you to be honest :p Aside from that explanation, I've got nothin'. Have you tried calling your carrier to ask them about it? They may have a better solution.

Also, only certain companies can send SMS messages from numbers with less than ten digits. Like your carrier. For example, I'm with Telus Mobility here in Canada. Every 30 days I get a text from "9999" telling me my bill is due. Or I'll get a text when I'm about to go over my data limit.

Other companies can include payperuse services, like surfpin purchases. Surfpin is a company that allows you pay for things like game membership to certain MMOs via a premium text message. They typically do these in two's - one message asking if you want to accept the charges, and another confirming your acceptance. The charge would go straight to your phone bill should you accept.

Not all too sure why it's appearing as "gibberish" but the best explanation I can give is perhaps someone is trying to use your number to pay for something online, hoping you'll get charged on your cell phone bill. The company in question could be foreign, and your phone may not be able to render the foreign language. Russian, Mandarin, etc, would probably all show up as random characters if your phone isn't set to that language.

Genralkidd

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013

Nah I know for a fact it's not my friends pulling a prank on me since it happened while one of them was right next to me and his phone was clearly doing nothing yet I was still getting a call from him.

Jut

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
This is also happening to me. About two weeks ago I started receiving missed calls from a number identical to mine excluding the last four digits. Each time I return the call the person unknown to me denies having called me. One person said they had actually received a call from my number - which I never did. I have contacted Telus twice and was told it is a coincidence? I don't think this is the case at all and I am getting frustrated with the situation.
If you are having this issue- I strongly urge you to contact your carrier immediately to report the issue so that technical support can investigate further and hopefully resolve whatever is happening.