Picking up radio station signal through my speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have atsacly the same speakers and am having the same problem, it is NOT the PC as i get the same thing through my PS3 using the speakers as well.

G

It's probably being caused by poor screening of the amplifer circuitry or by a dry solder joint on the circuit board.

starboy

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Wow, you guys are all something special. Speakers are built using electromagnets. The frequencies produced cause the magnets to attract the radio frequencies and produce them back. That's why you're hearing radio signals. I just changed your lives...

Arrogant much? Your simple explanation of how a speaker works is not enlightening to anyone. Furthermore, it is not the magnets in the speaker(s) that are attracting the signal, they are merely transforming an already picked up signal from something within the device acting as a makeshift antenna. THAT is why all of us are here to work out a solution.
Try THINKING before you speak next time. Everyone is talking about a SINGULAR frequency and your talking about plural...that too on your part is very inaccurate.

starboy

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

THIS IS A TOTAL LIE. YOUR TRYING TO MANIPULATE VULNERABLE PEOPLE INTO PUTTING YOUR MALICIOUS SOFTWARE ONTO THEY'RE COMPUTERS. ITS NOT A SOFTWARE ISSUE TO BEGIN WITH. ITS SICK PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT ARE SCREWING UP THIS WORLD TODAY.

starboy

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Geographically its people who are located near broadcasting stations/antennas whom seem to have as you pointed out poorly shielded cables. Normally it is one frequency but sometimes can be multiple. (Everyone keeps talking about some conservative christian radio station that is comming in but in my area it happens to be a very specific MUSIC station.) I have been reading from other viewers that whether or not your hardware is properly grounded can be a contributing factor in this signal recieving anomally.
Do NOT use aluminum foil to try to create a blocking barrier as for this is good for blocking static electric or magnetic interferences.....this is a matter of radio waves and aluminum foil is a conductor...remember how they use to add them along with coat hangers to bunny ear antennas on the old televisions.

There are some other good ideas brought up by intelligent people on this site like: shortening your wires if u have too much slack, strap them together yet try to keep audio away from power, properly ground your devices electrical, try monster cables or other BETTER INSULATED cables than just your standards....and if all else fails your device either needs to be dragged out back and gotten the crap kicked out of it for not obeying you OR it just might need an exorcism lol.

O the electromagnetic amplitude....being your speakers basically is not the cause of this matter yet only the symptom. Speakers are just doing what they do, they are not whats picking up the "white noise frequencies" they are simply the messenger.
Physically speaking....literally its the combination of poorly insulated wires connected to a device that happens to be in an area containing a strong ressonance frequency or more. Shortening the slack of these poorly insulated wires obviously reduces antenna qualities but purchasing a cable that comes with electromagnetic, and RADIO WAVE shielding insulation (like monster cables) should eliminate the problem. If the problem only deminishes and doens't go away all together after these steps then it must be internal (unshielded) wiring within the unit itself that is also acting as a conductor. This is not likely but is possible.
This commonality is sporadic.

G

I am having the exact same problem with my speakers too. I pick up a faint radio station when the volume is down. Only thing different from what everybody else is saying is that I am picking up a pop/rock station and not a religous one.

camelinahat

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I'm in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia Canada, and I also get radio waves, both short and long wave, intercepted by my pc speakers. Unlike most however I am interested and intrigued by this rather than put off and am curious if anyone has any suggestions on enhancing or even 'tuning' the broadcasts being picked up.

This evening I confirmed that I am picking up a broadcast of CRI-English, and after testing verified the same feed on their webcast of their AM 1008 reportedly from Beijing is the same station that my speakers are picking up. I have contacted the station to see if they do have additional relay points for their broadcast or of that is the only Am broadcast location of that feed. Numerous other times I have picked up russian stations, as well as CB radios used by local cabbie's.

In anycase I'm interested if anyone has thoughts on what can be done to improve the signal my speakers are picking up or tuning it. Or if it'd just be better to invest in a longwave radio specifically. Thanks.

G

Well, I was going to say you might as well invest in a radio (shortwave) and a better pair of speakers and kill two birds with (er...) two stones.

This whole thread has me bemused.

It's basic that a sound system should not be subject to RF interference -- it's almost always poor design or a construction fault (usually the latter because design part is relatively simple). RF can be carried through the power lines -- but, again, the power supply section of the amplifier should eliminate this.

I've rarely suffered the problem. Once when a taxi firm constructed an antenna immediately opposite my home and I was using a very redundant tube hifi amplifier. More recently on a Chinese made bedside radio/alarm when taxis park opposite my home.

G

I don't think the quality of speakers could make a tremendous effect on the RFI. I am rocking Behringer truths B2031A speakers and I am receiving the same problem. I have gotten this problem in several cities as I have moved over the years. The speakers I am using are self powered and directly plugged into the wall, while the out is being fed by an Mbox 2 (external sound card) which is hooked up to me laptop. I have tried using a surge protector that acts as a power filtration system, as well as another plug that goes into my speakers plug to bypass the ground. Neither has worked. A college professor had told me to cut the ground off the cable but I'm not sure how safe that is and I have already bypassed the ground with no success.

Has anyone tried to use the power strip with the ground that annonomous was talking about? Don't just go buy expensive speakers it seems like there is a good chance you will go home and get pissed off with the same problem. Get back to me when you can all.

G

All the reports here relate to purpose built amplified speakers (as used for computers). I suspect that it still comes down to poor design and/or construction.

Personally I use an old and but originally expensive hifi amp and separate speakers. This is an integrated amp that has inputs varying in sensitivity from tuner and tape deck (low sensitivity) to phono (which is very sensitive).

Turntables involve fairly long and partly unscreened wiring -- thus a hifi amplifier has to have good rf interference rejection. In most decent hifi amps the case is metal -- actually diecast zinc in this instance.

No evidence of short wave or medium wave radio interference that people here reported.

Wetmelon

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I tend to hear radios coming through my bass amp on occasion. Very rare, though. However, it's quite amusing to stop playing a song then still hear music :p

Sandaura

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
It may the one out of Nashville, Tennessee. WWRC. I pick up a religious station on my wireless headphones. I traced it to Tenn. Also I pick up American Voice Network that transmitts from the same place. From 1am to 4am they stream to ham radios.

It is travelling on the phone line itself. I have been able to pick up for years and it was not until last month I was able to trace. I called Verizon and they came out. But they have done nothing about it.

What can legally be done? Does anyone know?

Sincerely,
Sandaura

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mLtygxIaFs

Dr Robert O. Becker, M.D.
twice nominated for Nobel Prize of this research.

"I have no doubt in my mind that at the present time, the greatest
polluting element in the earth's environment is the proliferation of
electromagnetic fields.

I consider that to be far greater on a global scale, than warming, and
the increase in chemical elements in the environment."

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
fihart is right. The problem is not the speakers. The problem is poorly shielded consumer (including computer) electronics.

One of the problems is that it is just too expensive to build things in well shielded, metal boxes. Injection molded plastic is much cheaper.

These interference problems can be reduced or even eliminated. Unfortunately, most of these solutions do not lend themselves to aftermarket retrofitting.

westom

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009

Technically, WWCR (a radio station paid to broadcast other's programs) is responsible for controlling their interference. Many an AM radio station solved that problem on so many nearby homes. But good luck getting that TN international broadcaster to do that.

First do you know part of the circuit includes the phone line? Yes, circuit. To have that reception means both an incoming and outgoing signal path.

If it is on the phone line, then a DSL filter will block it. That is what DSL filters do. DSL is also a radio signal. So that other POTS devices (phone, fax machine, etc) do not 'eat' the signal, a DSL filter is installed to block that signal. WWCR is on even higher frequencies. The filter would be even better. But only if that is that is the only incoming (or outgoing) signal path.

The reason for interference is typically the same concept that makes crystal radios work. Knowing that goes a long way to determining the entire problem. All problems are solved first by learning what and why the problem is. Fixing comes later. Does disconnecting the phone line eliminate the signal? Before it can be solved, first, the incoming and outgoing signal paths must be identified.

G

haha wow thank you guys for these posts..
I've heard the voices and the random music now for some weeks, usually late at night, and have literally began to question whether or not i'm going insane, as no music was playing on my computer.

I was having paranoid delusions at one point that my PC had been hacked, and for whatever reason my speakers were playing bits of music from the person operating the PC on the other end, bringing up 'netstat' and doing a whois on every IP connected to me, port scanning my PC, checking what random open ports were doing. LOL.. Googled "i can hear music coming out of my computer speakers" on a whim thinking i'd never find an answer and saw this thread.. I have the Logitech X240 speakers by the way..

Cheers for clearing this up for me lol

It really comes down to two or three things, and it is NOT fixable by system cleaners!
1. The speakers are bunk, try another type of speakers, or headphones, is the problem still there?
2. The radio station is splattering from the transmitter, causing interference all over the place. Call the radio station's engineer, or call the FCC and file a complaint. This has happened many times before, where the station is not being maintained properly. Raise Hell.
3. There are RF interference filters which install on the power line between the power and computer, or between the power and the speakers. You can buy them from radio shack and other vendors.
4. There are FM traps which install between Cable TV line (are you using cable internet?) and the internet modem. If the cable is disconnected from the modem, is the interference still there?
5. If the interference goes away after disconnecting CATV from modem, it's a cable company problem, which would not surprise me at all.
No you are not insane, this has happened lots of times, to lots of people. Test as above and post back to me. Work through the possible sources one at a time, until you determine where it comes from.

G

haha wow thank you guys for these posts..
I've heard the voices and the random music now for some weeks, usually late at night, and have literally began to question whether or not i'm going insane, as no music was playing on my computer.

I was having paranoid delusions at one point that my PC had been hacked, and for whatever reason my speakers were playing bits of music from the person operating the PC on the other end, bringing up 'netstat' and doing a whois on every IP connected to me, port scanning my PC, checking what random open ports were doing. LOL.. Googled "i can hear music coming out of my computer speakers" on a whim thinking i'd never find an answer and saw this thread.. I have the Logitech X240 speakers by the way..

Cheers for clearing this up for me lol

I got rid of this issue by opening the volume mixer in Windows 7 and muting the sound of the windows media center. I couln't imagine that WMC was getting the radio stations while connected to internet. I ended up by disabling Media Center.

Good luck to everyone...now I know it is not about the quality of the sound system but more a PC & internet issue !

The broadcaster would not be responsible for interference on devices unless they are shown to be operating out of their alloted wattage and frequency. If you read almost every single electronic device, there is a little sticker that states "this device must accept all interference" as part of the FCC approval.

There are 2 solutions that apply to every single post here. Replace the PC audio card (or add one if you are using the built-in audio) or replace the speakers. Actually there is a 3rd, line your room with aluminum foil.

G

It's nice to see so many users of logitech on this thread :lol: , i have the same logitech speakers and also recieve radiowaves through them but only when the volume is set to the lowest setting.

it seems that when the speakers are plugged into a device (any device) which has a power supply attached to it, the speakers will receive the broadcasts. if the speakers are plugged into the device which is running on battery power, then no radio is recieved.

I was reading on another forum of a user having the exact same problem and they described that it's a combination of:

1. Changes in the earths ionisphere: at night radio waves are reflected for further distances which is why we can only hear the frequencies at night

2. Speakers are prone for Radio Frequency and Electro Magenetic Interfearence: poor quality speakers and wiring tend not to be sheilded from these so the interference is picked up. Audio systems with higher quality cable and components tend to better insulated against these frequencies being picked up

if you have purchased speakers which do this recently, i would suggest either exchanging them or getting a refund. otherwise, i think the only other option is buy a new set (probably something other than logitech)

Cheers
~a

Status
Not open for further replies.