PICTURED: Official Shots of PS3 Slim

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
It looks like the shape of a laptop to me. If they were going to pick this un-ergonomic shape, they should have added a screen.

Laptop makers have severe limitations since they need a screen, and a keyboard. Sony should have done better without any.

The glossy finish shows scratches and wear more than a matte, so I prefer the matte.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
First I must state that I have a PS3, I use it 99.99% of the time, I also have an Xbox 360 which I bought 5 months before my PS3 but rarely use now. The PS3 is just a better user platform for me and is my sole Blu-ray / DVD player for my HDTV. I use it to browse the net, watch youtube or other such sites on my HDTV. However, George Foreman grill is right, "cut out the class" should be the catch phrase *shakes head*. I love my original PS3, I just recently replaced my original 60GB HD with a 500GB 7200RPM Seagate drive. I'm not getting rid of my original release PS3, period.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I for one think it looks a lot better than the original PS3. I only wish they would have just made it less curvy than it is and more in the shape of one of their standard BD players. I have no desire to have it sitting out on display in the living room.

I would much rather it blend in with my other AV equipment, which have a more uniform width but varying heights and depths. I have a Sony receiver, Sony BD player, Dish HD DVR receiver, Roku player, Psyclone HDMI switcher, and PS2 on a semi-hidden support system that makes them almost appear to float on the wall next to my Sony HDTV. This look, with the sony name on the left from edge fits into the stack a lot better than the original unit would.

If console makers are going to push their creations to be the center of a HD media experience in the living rooms of the world and not just game systems in the kids bedrooms then I wish they would just stop trying to make them look like art projects and just make them fit in with the other media equipment that is required to make that experience happen.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
LOL, a VCR?

I personally, haven't really paid to much attention to the consoles of late, and finally saw a PS3 @ Walmart a week or 2 ago. I thought "Man that this is huge, ugly and looks like a VCR"

I think they look very similar, and both look like VCR's. I also thought the Original Xbox looked ugly and was huge.

Don't get me wrong, my Desktop is huge as well, not as ugly, but I also didn't plan on moving it around much except the occasional LAN Party.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]esquire468[/nom]Sony is bringing Sexyback with the PS3 slim.[/citation]

dumbest thing i ever heard

LOL

how is a nerd toy sexy ?

Hot girls , sexy

Fast overpriced gas guzzling sports cars, Sexy

hot bad ass girls , sexy

Guitars , sexy

Cute girls with big eyes , Sexy

Bass guitars , Sexy

hot Girls in thongs , sexy

Drums, Sexy

hot Girls with nothing on , sexy

Consoles, Not sexy

PC gaming machines , Not sexy

Consoles that look like miniture goerge foprman grills , Not sexy

Pc,s that look lik ll manner of non pc realted objects , cool, but still not sexy

tech stuff jsut aint sexy , ntoeven those ugly apples , theya re all nerd toys and nothgin is sexy about nerd toys period , and this is comign from an avid pc/console gamer

elbert

Distinguished
The price is starting to look reasonable for a console but major compatibility loss kills the ps3 slim. No linux or ps1 kills the deal. Knowing I could always use the ps3 as a linux box made it worth a bit more in the long run. Being able to play all my old favorite ps1 games would have been great. These things aren't a source of revenue but they do keep your old customers. I would have expected ps2 compatibility from this new version.

snarfeck

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
it sorta looks like a kid at a prom without a date and it obviously can dance but is waiting for the right moment. don't punch me but it sorta looks like my macbook. minimalism will never go out of style.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
"As with all hardware (and most things in life), it's what's on the inside that counts. But now that the PS3 has lost a lot of weight, are you any more attracted to it?"

Yeah, the inside counts, but the outside has to be hot too, otherwise you miss out on the package deal. It's all about the "full package". If I'm dropping alot of coin (or time), I want it to not only be able to perform well, but also look good, like a porsche or a young hottie. :) Heh.

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I like the way it looks. It doesn't have tacky spiderman font plastered on it, so I think that's already a step up.

As for changing the hard drive, on the bottom there's a little switch that's covered that you pick off, and the hard drive bay releases from the side, so you don't have to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS