Pilot Flew Passengers for 13 Years On Fake License

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

why - after 13 years didn't he take a break and take the commercial passenger licence. He must of made enough money over that time.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]rodney_ws[/nom]Gonna respectfully disagree on this one. A licensed pilot would likely have more emergency training... so although nothing has happened to this "pilot" yet... should something bad come up, it could get really ugly. It's still an interesting story and maybe someone will give him a second chance in a year when his ban is up.[/citation]

I have to disagree, in that an experienced probably been in more emergency situations than someone who just took some training courses, more over, I'm sure in his 13 years as an employee of the Airline he recieved more training on emergency situations.

A license just like a degree pretty much just says you've taken some courses, you've done some work, it has nothing to do with how well or conversely doesn't mean someone who doesn't hold a license hasn't done more or as much work. It's just confirmation. If this guy has 13 years and 10,000+ hours flying he is likely far more safe than any new pilot and just as experienced as someone with a license with similar amount of glying time, I'd absolutely, be on his flight, in a heartbeat, plus, he started out as a co-pilot like all pilots do, so he learned from an experienced license pilot while on the job.

slaphappy

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
There's a lot of learning that goes into getting your license than just learning how to control the stick people. Sure this guy is a natural in the air, and knows how to move a plane, but thats where his knowledge ends. He probably knows nothing about weight and balance, fuel concerns, max landing speeds, structural capabilities of the plane, icing conditions, etc etc etc. He is simply lucky none of these issues ever came up as a problem in mid flight where he would have no idea what to do. All this guy has is the hand to eye coordination to keep the plane moving forward, flying is actually a lot more than just that.

slaphappy

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
And people keep comparing him as an experience pilot to a fresh newb who just received his license and asking which they prefer; But lets not mix apples and orange people.

If you had some fresh graduate with his license and 100 hours of flight time, or this guy when he had only 100 hours of flight time, WHO THEN would you rather have flying you?

perpetual98

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]As a pilot, I am digraced. He should be thrown in jail for violating FAA standards and Forging certificates. This is to show you that the FAA needs to step up on regulation. I am sorry but, really, this is not good.[/citation]

Does the FAA extend to Sweden?

G

everybody hates his job and they have to work...

1 man loves his job and they don't let him work xD xD xD

scott_madison1

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]I disagree with the above posts about something going wrong. Pilot training would just be textbook about what to do in emergency situations, something this guy could of easily read on his own. Its the simulator that he got his training from. A flight simulator can easily be made to simulate emergency situations, better then any textbook or paper training. [/citation]

I was unaware that anywhere in that story it said he had done that in the flight simulator. You can't just assume that a guy that "faked" his license did the right thing and practiced emergency situations in a simulator...

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]A lot of job's on this planet require degrees, qualifications ect, but if you know what you're doing why not give it a shot anyway.[/citation]

Most of it's BS (scams) to make somebody money when you are well and qualified to do the job just fine.

G

All this shows is how much we rely on technology. Modern commercial passenger airplanes can fly themselves for the vast majority of every single flight, including takeoff and landing. Most do. The passengers were just LUCKY that this pilot did not run into an emergency situation, since he does not have the training to deal with one.

G

To the people saying "he already knew how to fly and had a lot of hours without crashing." ARE YOU KIDDING? WOW.

The difference between a flight license and a commercial airplane license are huge. Instrument training, night training, fog training, stall training, etc., etc.

This guy went from flying SINGLE PROP planes to JETS without the thousands of hours of in-flight training in between.

A pilots license is NOTHING like a driver's license. Your first pilots license lets you fly ONLY certain planes, ONLY at certain heights, and ONLY in clear conditions approved by the FAA.

punny_g

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
A bit of paper doesn't always mean anything... Experience Counts!!!
Who would you employ for a job, the guy with a degree or the guy who had done the job for several years before...

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]grillz9909[/nom]I guess it is kind of scary to think about at first... but if he flew for 13 years without crashing - I think it's safe to say he's not going to crash. May as well give him the license.[/citation]
i agree and jail time.

He risked 1000's of peoples lives not having an appropriate license. Granted he has over 10,000 hours now, but what did he have day one?! Also he forged documents....

While I do think he should recieve jail time for this i think they should also award him a license, which he will never be able to use because no one will hire him now.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I imagine his experience in maintenance helped him a great deal. If he had intimate knowledge of how the plane actually worked, he would have a much easier time adapting to the controls.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
ok ok ok ....
you get on a plane, they announce captain blah blah will be flying today, he has no proper training or a license but he does have over 10,000 miles under his belt.... enjoy the flight!

DO you :
A) say awesome! and proceed to have a beer?
B) say holy shit and run off the plane like a bomb is sitting beside you?
C) drink your beer down real fast... then run off the plane?

I choose C, everytime!

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I've been riding motorcyles for 10 years and never had an endorsement. Never been pulled over (knock on wood). Having a little piece of paper saying you can do something does not magically make you capable nor does not having it make you incapable.

G

Some people really are clueless. he went from a COMMERCIAL license (that expired) to ATP flights unlicensed. Commercial licenses are commonly commercial cargo jets (UPS, FEDEX, etc), not SINGLE ENGINE PROPS as one commenter stated. This means he already had 250+ hours of multi-engine turbine experience, night flights, and solo experience as required for a commercial license. Add in the additional 40-60 hours of simulator time (which is ALSO a requirement of ATP licenses).

An ATP license is only required for PILOT-IN-COMMAND in most countries.

In the US, you only need 1500 hours of flight time, including 500 hours cross country, 100 hours night, 75 hours instrument - actual or simulator. He more than passed requirements in the US.

Notice - he did this to apply for a CO-PILOT position. Most people trying to get an ATP do the same thing, they get a commercial license first, apply as a co-pilot to accrue the flight time, and then apply for an ATP.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]As a pilot, I am digraced. He should be thrown in jail for violating FAA standards and Forging certificates. This is to show you that the FAA needs to step up on regulation. I am sorry but, really, this is not good.[/citation]

This is why we have so many problems in the USA. People like the above poster failed reading comprehension in school and is most likely lying through their fingernails about being a pilot. This guy wasn't flying in the USA, he didn't fall under the FAA, not a ~single~ US regulation has any effect on him. He flew in Europe... but please go ahead and stand on your soapbox and rail against your fictional enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.