Pink Screen

Trinket

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Hello,
I am using an HP Pavillion Entertainment PC. Last night I was online and everything was fine and suddenly the whole screen went bright pink. There was no other option but to force a manual shutdown by powering off. On startup, the screen had vertical green and blue lines. Recovery options are not working. Returning to a previous restore point isnt working. Startup repair is not working. Tried using repair disk. Didnt work. Memory diagnostics is 100% passed, as is hard disk test. Tried reinstalling windows 7 from the disk but it just goes to system recovery options again. Is there any way to bypass the BIOS and the recovery tools and simply reinstall? It has to be a system error and not the screen. The error message on system restore is 0x8000ffff.

thently

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Not so fast if you get a clear picture with a monitor connected the find the connector for your screen to the motherboard on you rlaptop. This is most of the time under the keyboard. Pop this loose and reseat it. If this does not help then most likely it is the screen.

Thent

Hi :)

Lol, you made that sound easier than it is for a non technical person..and there are two ends to that cable or 4 if you include the connections at the Inverter and screen itself...

Its RARELY the cable, around 1 in 100 at best...

All the best Brett :)

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
How soon after you press the power button do you start to see these lines? Do they appear over the HP logo on startup or only when Windows starts to load? If it's the former, it's not a driver problem, it's hardware.

If the external monitor is clear, you have a bad LCD. If lines appear on the external monitor, you could have a problem with your video controller.

Trinket

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
As I said, the screen had the same result. Just fine until it tried to start up past the logo, then it was covered in vertical lines. Startup repair cannot repair automatically. Repair disk isnt working. Using restore ponts also not working.

Trinket

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

They do not appear over the logo. The screen is perfect up until then. But once it tries to startup PAST the logo, the solid lines come

thently

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I would agree but getting the keyboard off is easy. anyway I would suspect the video card and double if its an nvidia video card. Seems odd that it does not have the issue on the post screen though ... Still not clear on what happens when external monitor plugged in.. If you get the same issue it is the video card and if this is built in it is new motherboard or laptop time.

Thent

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I definitely also suspect it needs a replacement motherboard for a failed video chip. If you want to make sure it's not a driver issue get a Windows install DVD and boot from that. It may well look fine on the default Windows VGA driver until you re-install the video driver (I've seen this also and it's a bad video chip)

Trinket

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Ok, so lets say it is NOT the nvidia video card, but the driver. How do I get past the startup repair screen to get the windows 7 disk to work? If I cant get in, I cant fix the issue

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Are you pressing the proper F-key to access the boot menu? On many HPs it should be F9.

Can you get into the BIOS at all? What are the boot settings and does it see the DVD-ROM drive? If the disk still doesn't work it's not hard to make a bootable flash drive with the Windows image (you need at least a 4GB flash drive)

Trinket

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Yes, I can get into the BIOS. Its F2 on this one. I ran the PHDST and the Memory test and both came back as 100%. No issues.

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Right, but there should be a particular F key you press to select the device to boot from (often F9 on HP laptops) or you can configure which order to attempt to boot from in the BIOS (put the DVD drive ahead of the HDD)