Solved! Pioneer sx-316 subwoofer channel fading

Sep 8, 2020
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and would like to get some help with fixing my Pioneer Receiver SX-316. I am not a champion in electronics but can get by with some help, and through step by step to hopefully have it resolved. I have been knocking my head around for the past weeks with this subwoofer issue. The receiver starts fine, but after 1 min or 2 it fades away with a light humming or static noise and not proper sound. All the other output works fine. Once you turn the unit off and on, it works fine for the 1st 2 mins then fades away. I have downloaded the service manual and changed all related capacitors for the subwoofer channel thinking it might help but the issue is still here. I have also gone through testing all the resistors and they all seems fine as per the service manual.

I am so stuck now and frustrated, I thought someone could help me please. Thank you

Solution
My mistake,
That AVR must have been part of a package system since regular AVRs don't have sub amps built in and have a line level sub output.
In that case there is a problem in the AVR built in sub amp not the speaker. That amp may not be compatible with either passive sub you used. Make sure that the sub is 8 ohms.
You did try the subwoofer with another source or another subwoofer on the AVR?
By your brief description I would have guessed that the sub has a problem not the AVR.
There's no amp in the AVR for the sub so if the sub out is "fading" the problem won't be a DIY fix. Something is heating up and cutting out. Could even be a circuit board trace.

Sep 8, 2020
Hi America, thank you for your reply.
I did try with another speaker and the same thing happens. The sub is a passive unit and it does sound that something is heating up and shutting down. Changed a few capacitors and resistirs but same thing. Perhaps it's the IC itself.

I am trying to figure out where could i get the pre amp output from the drawings and have an external amp hooked up to the sub through the existing cable.

My mistake,
That AVR must have been part of a package system since regular AVRs don't have sub amps built in and have a line level sub output.
In that case there is a problem in the AVR built in sub amp not the speaker. That amp may not be compatible with either passive sub you used. Make sure that the sub is 8 ohms.

Solution