Solved! Pioneer vsx-522 help

Apr 11, 2018
I recently got a pioneer vsx-522 and have sony surround speakers hooked to it. I believe it is hooked up correctly to my tv via HD as i used the method explained in these forums hd/arc on back of tv to sat/cab on back of reciever. (I came here for ALOT of help).

So my problem is this... I have no remote to access the settings ir anything and my rear speakers aren't working. I will add a pic of my display just in case. I believe it is on dolby and hdmi. I purchased it used so idk how it was set up before. But i believe the speakers and everything is hooked up correctly. Just don't understand why I'm not getting aound to rear speakers.

If this helps when i ran the test the rear sounded like it came from front speakers. Tried factiry reset without unhooking anything and didn't reset. And when i was hooking up my sony speakers i removed the connector plug to use the bare speaker wire to hook up to reciever since i had to. Would that be an issue? I'm sorry I'm kinda new to 5.1 surround. I normally used 2 channel. Lol any help is much appreciated

Sorry for writing a book there just trying to provide every detail. Also have a GE universal remote if anyone knows how to program to use on this

Solution
If ypure usimg the internal tuner on the hisense or smart apps then they are likely limited to stereo - 5.1 terrstrial broadcasts are few & far between

When I said connect external sources to the reciever , I mean cable boxes, consoles , pc's etc.

Connect them directly to the reciever & use the reciever to pass the signal through to the TV.

That way you get full uncompressed digital audio from the external devices to the reciever (once youve set the audio settings up on the devices)

Prologic settings on the reciever should fill all 5 speakers though even with a stereo source.

Have a good read of the manual I linked to , you can access 90% of the settings with the front panel buttons.
1. You ought to try & buy a pioneer remote , thats a fairly advanced receiver & there are a lot of options you cannot select without one.

2. A lot of tv's will only pass a stereo signal out from arc from external sources connected to the tv.
It depends on your tv model itself , both my shark & lg sets will not pass dolby digital out from external dources , only from channels built into the tv tuner which broadcast with surround sound.

If possible , external boxes should be connected to the reciever directly.

3. Downloadcthe manual from here
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-522-K

Pages 25/26 give details on using the front buttons on the pioneer to use simulated surround modes .
That will at least let you know if all your speaker outputs are working.

Apr 11, 2018
I've tried other surround modes. I am getting sound only from the front two speakers. No center or rear. I plan on buying a remote when i have the $.

But i have a hisense hdtv. If the sound won't pass threw arc connection then how should i do this? And what did you mean external boxes ahould be connected to reciever directly?

If ypure usimg the internal tuner on the hisense or smart apps then they are likely limited to stereo - 5.1 terrstrial broadcasts are few & far between

When I said connect external sources to the reciever , I mean cable boxes, consoles , pc's etc.

Connect them directly to the reciever & use the reciever to pass the signal through to the TV.

That way you get full uncompressed digital audio from the external devices to the reciever (once youve set the audio settings up on the devices)

Prologic settings on the reciever should fill all 5 speakers though even with a stereo source.

Have a good read of the manual I linked to , you can access 90% of the settings with the front panel buttons.

Solution
If you can't access the menus from the front panel of the receiver you can't tell if the speaker set up menu is set for correctly. If it's set for front only you won't get anything out of any other speakers in any mode.
Follow the set up in the manual linked to above.
As for the remote you would have to search with the model number to find the owners manual. That will contain a list of numbers that refer to the internal list of IR codes in the remote. Even if you find the right code to operate the receiver it might not include all the functions of the original remote.

Apr 11, 2018
Americanaudiophile, i was thinking that. I kno there are alot of settings i can't access as of now. Getting a remote asap. But my display says its on hdmi with adv sur on but there is a letter H on the right top side. The friend i got it from said it worked perfectly for him. And i haven't adjusted remote settings since

And i found codes for my universal remote but none really worked. But not sure if this model is audio, htib, or what category i should be using. Lol. Sorry im a noob it seems.

Apr 11, 2018
Madmatt, like i said i tried a dolby 5.1 surround test on YouTube and the rear and center came from the front. I kno i probably need the remote just wondering if i set it up correctly. I'm gonna try switching from arc and using different speakers to see if that helps.i have a range of 6-16ohm and have 3ohm speakers connected

Apr 11, 2018
Ok i now have 6ohm speakers hooked up. So I'm thinking it's definitely a settings issue. Speakers work when hooked to front but not rear channel. Using it on stereo for now until i get a remote to access settings for surround

May 28, 2018
Hi mate, you firstly need a video cable to connect to your TV as the OSD won’t disply via ARC. Then you can actually flick through that menu using the receivers front controls. You will need to turn on surround LR speakers to make it work as they will be switched to off!