Pirate Bayers' Appeal Rejected; Fines Increased

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
time is money, less time but more money. personally i with they got more time and money.
better idea, base the time to serve on the hours of video downloaded through torrents and fines on how much cash worth of products were pirated. they tracked how many time things were downloaded, right?

G

I hope they are prepared to guard against butt pirates. They dont believe in sharing!

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
lol 6.4 million dollars for what? Hosting a site among 30 other sites that allowed people to download files which allowed people to connect to other people to share stuff illegally?

How does that crap hold up? That's like going after glass pipe manufacturers because they allow people to do illegal drugs.

eloplayspolo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Borisof - think of it like this... Pirate = place to grow your weed, Users = smokers
Pirate is the greater of the two evils.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I am pretty sure they would not be prosecuted if this was in the States. US Law works differently, and the prosecution would have a hard time proving they had willingly aided in the theft of intellectual property. Making a search tool that finds .torrent files is no different then Google search engine. Depending how its used, it can be used to facilitate intellectual property theft.

G

at falchard's comment.... you're right and wrong. In the US the penalties would have gone down a lot differently... the owners of pirate bay would have gotten 20+ years, possibly life in federal prison and it would have been like 200 million in fines. RIAA and MPAA are notoriously cutthroat and have dropped multi-million dollar lawsuits on *users* let alone bigger organizations and charged people with major federal felonies, notice the FBI anti-piracy warnings in front of most American films.

formin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Only 8 moths of jail time is pretty good for start a revolution.
Look at how many years Gandhi was in jail for his cause.

and they are never going to get $6.whatever million. wheres it going to come from?

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]I hope they are prepared to guard against butt pirates. They dont believe in sharing![/citation]

one of the best quotes ive seen on here

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
When it comes down to it, Pirate Bay is simply a tool. Its not like the 4 on trial went to movies or bought games, ripped them, then distributed them on the internet. They created a tool to find .torrents. By US law they would have to prove that the owners of pirate bay partook in distribution and theft. This is not what they were on trial for in Sweden. When you put it in this term it would set a bad precidence to charge someone with a crime in this circumstance.
They could easily convolute it to prosecute pry-bar manufacturers because their tool was used in theft. Or charge convenience store owners because they allowed a robbery to happen on their premise.
This is why ISPs don't worry about RIAA demanding them to monitor users, they cannot hold them accountable in court.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
They willingly profited off of intellectual property theft (hosting ads, etc) and they'll get what's coming to them.

You can whine all you want about how they 'only provided a tool,' but their site is called The Pirate Bay. They knew what they were doing. You complain if the website hosts are persecuted, and you complain if the pirates are fined. How would you go about cutting down on piracy?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Whats next ? Google allowing searches for illegal pages/downloads and provide links to them much in the way TPB does, only difference is that its magnet links on TPB and not html links - Is it the protocol used thats the crime or what? Google provide a service just like TPB do, its the users of that service that are conducting the illegal activity.

With this logic above why not shut down the electricity companies while at it since the power their service provides can be used for illegal activity like playing pirated MP3's. This is starting to get ridiculous and have to end. Hope NO ONE ever will purchase a CD from a RIAA brand since its clear where the money goes and its not to the artists!

G

It's not about piracy it's about money and money only..Just like wars...
If Pirate bayers will have to pull all that money for their little site then what will google have to pay? Cause google does the same job pirate bay does..But since they can't do shit against google they make others pay for it..
Is it about piracy i don't think so.
Our freedom will be taken from the big corporations and in the future we wont be able to do anything about it...

rede

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Google removes links to illegal content when notified of them. By contrast, the pirate bay posts the takedown notices on their site and ridicules them. I hope you can see the difference in attitude there.

I don't begrudge anybody a piece of software for personal use that is way beyond their means. The developer doesn't lose money from people who are incapable of affording their software, and the world actually benefits from people who exercise their creativity and learn new skills on that software. I do begrudge people downloading movies and games which they could easily afford to buy. Piracy damages the industry and negatively impacts all of us as consumers. We have to wait up to a year before games are released on the pc because of piracy. We face increasing intrusion and spying from the government because of piracy. ISPs are capping bandwidth and blocking ports due to piracy. Don't ruin things for everyone.

G

falchard - are you nuts? They would never see outside of the prison for the rest of their lives if this was in US. Still believe you live in a free country? Grow up...

Status
Not open for further replies.