Pirate Parties Campaign on Behalf of Legit Megaupload Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
No shit the so called " good guys" are all greedy corporate brainwashed useless zombies thats only out for PROFITS.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
History portrays revolutionists the good guys and greedy people that try to stop them as bad guys. So by default greedy corporations and politicians are the bad guys and will allways be.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]No shit the so called " good guys" are all greedy corporate brainwashed useless zombies thats only out for PROFITS.[/citation]

I don't agree with the actions of the FBI, especially in projecting their "power" outside the US but... the comment about corporations only out for profits... that's just dumb. Of course they are after profits, that's their job. I do not agree that profits should come at the expense of personal liberty but come on... without corporations/companies making the "evil" profit, we wouldn't have jobs.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]waylander[/nom]I don't agree with the actions of the FBI, especially in projecting their "power" outside the US but... the comment about corporations only out for profits... that's just dumb. Of course they are after profits, that's their job. I do not agree that profits should come at the expense of personal liberty but come on... without corporations/companies making the "evil" profit, we wouldn't have jobs.[/citation]

Untrue. We would have more jobs without corporations. We would have less super rich billionaires.

G

QUOTE: Untrue. We would have more jobs without corporations.

What is your basis for saying that? and please explain in your system who would provide the funds to pay you and why would they do so?

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Little tip... if you're going to try to make a case for the legitmate users of megaupload... try not using the world pirate in your name? Next time think twice about storing your important data with a company who's founder legally changed his last name to DotCom....

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]just a question[/nom]QUOTE: Untrue. We would have more jobs without corporations. What is your basis for saying that? and please explain in your system who would provide the funds to pay you and why would they do so?[/citation]

A corporation and a business are two fundamentally and legally different entities. You would either work for yourself, or work for someone else, just like today. A corporation simply spreads and gobbles up smaller businesses in a market, it destroys competition. It fires as many workers as it possibly can to keep profits high. It uses the cheapest labor possible, the cheapest materials possible, and produces the cheapest product possible.

Instead of being beholden solely to returning profits to it's shareholders, it would be beholden to its customers. It would emphasize service over profit, or else it will go out of business. The scale of the business would have to be much smaller, because the owner is liable for the company's actions and debts. Nobody in their right mind would ever expand a business they are liable for to the scale of the current global corporate mafia. If business changed winds, they would be liable for hundreds of millions of dollars in debts and overheads. They would have to operate and expand much much more responsibly. This would leave much more room for competitive businesses across the entire world, which would keep prices down and keep people employed, which would mean more people had more money to spend on the goods being produced.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i stored backup data there, not important enough to burn but important enough to not get rid of.

none of what i uploaded was pirate material, but some of it could violate copyright law, but if ever tried for the things i solely uploaded, i would most likely fall under fair use.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
It can't be stopped... there are tons of other websites exactly like megaupload and they can't all be shut down.
I'm climbing aboard the pirate ship for this, Arghhh!
Who's with me?!

richboyliang

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
you know while this article stresses the presence of legitimate files on megaupload, we all know the vast majority of users and files are pirating.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mortsmi7[/nom]Is this an example of what may be in store for those who switch to cloud storage?[/citation]
Why yes, yes it is, which is why I have my own personal "cloud' in my house, a nice big NAS that I can access from anywhere anytime.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]A corporation and a business are two fundamentally and legally different entities. You would either work for yourself, or work for someone else, just like today. A corporation simply spreads and gobbles up smaller businesses in a market, it destroys competition. It fires as many workers as it possibly can to keep profits high. It uses the cheapest labor possible, the cheapest materials possible, and produces the cheapest product possible. Instead of being beholden solely to returning profits to it's shareholders, it would be beholden to its customers. It would emphasize service over profit, or else it will go out of business. The scale of the business would have to be much smaller, because the owner is liable for the company's actions and debts. Nobody in their right mind would ever expand a business they are liable for to the scale of the current global corporate mafia. If business changed winds, they would be liable for hundreds of millions of dollars in debts and overheads. They would have to operate and expand much much more responsibly. This would leave much more room for competitive businesses across the entire world, which would keep prices down and keep people employed, which would mean more people had more money to spend on the goods being produced.[/citation]

Yes a Corporation is a legal entity, its also made that way to separate the finances of the Business, from those of its owners. Without something like that in place it would be impossibly hard to get financing to pay employees, any lawsuit brought against your company means your family will also get boned over, and it also means that these businesses would take less risk.

Its not a question of how the business is structured be it a Corp, or a small mom and pops shop, the thing that's boning us over is the Business ethics these companies use. The practices of a business are a direct reflection of upper management. A Non Profit can be filled with just as meany pricks as a corp given the right environment.

G

Governments don't like competition, that's why they're attempting to shut down small(er) thieves.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]just a question[/nom]QUOTE: Untrue. We would have more jobs without corporations. What is your basis for saying that? and please explain in your system who would provide the funds to pay you and why would they do so?[/citation]
small businesses make up 40% of the jobs if you limit them at 20 employees or less
U.S. Census
http://www.census.gov/econ/smallbus.html
large businesses total 200 million jobs with small businesses totaling 140 million jobs

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]richboyliang[/nom]you know while this article stresses the presence of legitimate files on megaupload, we all know the vast majority of users and files are pirating.[/citation]

How do you -know- that? Please give me solid facts that back up your definite knowledge of the legality of every file on MU.

That isn't the issue. This is the government taking EVERYONE's property because SOMEONE's property is stolen. It's unfair to any user who has a single legal file on there. They are innocent victims. It isn't as if MU is advertised as a piracy site, the user cannot be held responsible for the site's actions. I really don't think this is a legal battle the feds will win in a fair court. Let's say you have some things stored in a public storage facility. Some people store stolen goods in that storage facility, but not in your storage unit. The government just came in and steamrolled the entire facility because there were stolen goods inside, and your property is now gone as well.

I kind of wish the Pirate Party kept their involvement silent though. It really doesn't look good when the site was closed due to piracy and pirates are supposedly standing up for the rights of non pirates. The media will spin this as "Piracy Party upset over pirate site being closed" for their corporate masters.

G

Yeah like I believe the "pirate" party is against this because it hurt legitimate customers, and not the pirates. I'll believe that when Obama delivers on that Hope and Change.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I had legitimate files there, and I am sad to see it gone. I understand taking down MU, but there seems like there should be a better way than to just take everything. It sucks that I lost some personal videos, archives, and various other things.

Next thing you know, carbonite is going to be taken down for storing illegal files from a persons computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.