Plasma TVs on the Way Out; Still Best

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My god someone give demonhorde665 a spellcheck. I feel dumber even reading that pile.

G

Panasonic still makes a great high end TV, their high end is still half the price of Pioneer's high end, and very close in picture quality.

G

Sad news. I love my Panasonic plasma, and I had wanted to eventually upgrade to a Pioneer Kuro. LCDs have notably improved over the last few years, but I still wouldn't buy one over a quality plasma.

iron-e

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
My 7 year old 57'' Rear Projection Hitachi has a better quality picture than 90% of the same size LCD's. If you want to lament the loss of an excellent technology, RPTV's were and still are the best solution for the majority of home theater instillations- low cost, big screen size, proven long-term reliability, and incredible picture quality.

G

This isn't entirely new news or 100% accurate either. Pioneer is selling their intellectual rights and all of their plasma technology to panasonic. It is fesable to see kuro quality panels in the near future.

Josh

G

well, its a bit different story I guess. European union is on the way to prohibit the sale of plasma TVs. Its been argumented that plasma TV is consuming in some cases two times more electricity then equivalent LCD (and that is not including LED backlighted LCDs), second argument is that is far easyer to recycle a EOL LCD then plasma screen. Well Europe is going green, I guess that this might be one of the reasons why some producers are ditching plasma technology.

dmccarron

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
"My god someone give demonhorde665 a spellcheck. I feel dumber even reading that pile."

-yes, even if everything were spelled correctly, it would sap the intelligence from you - guaranteed.

"Pleez rereed waht you tpye beefor yuo hit teh submiit butten "demonhorde665"."

- LOL!

demonhorde665, all your spelling aside, just because there's an idiot here who believes the hokum about cell phones and CRT's nuking his brain, does not mean the rest of us who know better need your first-grade-level explanation of the arbitrary classifications for ranges in the electromagnetic spectrum. Also, whether your father is an electrical engineer, a garbage collector, or a string theorist is irrelevant. This information is common knowledge to most of us and doesn't need HIS authority for us to believe you.

In other words, not to be rude, but if you are not going to stop talking down to us, please shut up.

G

When you compare a gen 5 LCD to a Gen 11 PDP, you will notice the price point is similar. However... If you compare a Gen 11 to Gen 11, you will quickly see how much cheaper Plasma is to LCD. 120hz LCD's do not compare to (randomly choose 480hz) plasma. The refresh rate of a good plasma is not noticeable by the human eye. I don't think 120hz would be noticeable by 99% of people either if the pixels really did refresh that fast. Unfortunately, that is not how they respond. Black to White may be 120 if the manufacturer isn't just making things up (since it is after all a self measured statement,) but color to color frequently falls well out of 120hz. Power consumption is a problem on Plasma, but they did address that on upcoming models at this years CES. The new units should rival LED LCD, which is often nearly equivalent to power consumption of halogen backlit LCD. What ever happened to Carbon nanotube? OLED doesn't suffer from short green life span, but to get long life accurate green, it is currently extremely expensive. This is the real reason Pioneer is pulling out of the TV market. They entered when they could sell 40" displays for $40,000, yet less R&D cost, they were manufacturing for under $2k. Now they can't sell quantity of the Best 60" display in the market for under $6k. The profits aren't there like they are in the other markets in which they compete. It's not that LCD or even other PDP manufacturers beat them out, they just don't see taking the risk for small returns. They are better off investing in other products.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
1. I was terribly sleepy when I wrote those other posts.

2. I was not explaining radiation to every one here, I was only explaining it to the aformentioned idiot, so he would understand. So why dont you shut up dmccarron and quit being a smart a-- a-hole.

3. bad/sleepy typing does not equal bad spelling.

4. If you really need to waste time in your day telling some one how they need a spell checker on a posting board (when this web site doesn't even offer one), then you seriously need to GET A LIFE.

Now, you folks have a wonderful day. I'll be busy doing something that is acutally more important than wasting another minute on this board explainging to you all what jerk offs you are.

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
yeah i know some radiation can be blocked by lead but who wears fully enclosing lead shields all the time? and yeah i know that radiation doesn't necessarily kill you instantly; it kind of makes you older as far as i understand.

garydale

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
I've got both plasma (42" Panasonic) and LCD (37" Sharp and 32" Sony) to compare at home. The 37" Sharp is the only 1080p of the lot but my favourite is the Panasonic. No LCD that I've seen can get the deep blacks yet without them the picture doesn't look right. Moreover, the LCDs (probably avoided in the 120Hz sets out now) have a problem changing colours rapidly.

re. the comments on 120Hz. This has nothing to do with what the human eye can see. Video has usually been at 30Hz while film has used 24Hz. 120Hz accommodates both (5 frames of film or 4 frames of video from each incoming frame). However an LCD that can do 120Hz should have no trouble keeping up with fast motion - something that cheaper LCDs have problems with.
Anyway, my take on pricing is that plasmas are less expensive than LCDs (when comparing sets with similar specs) as well as offering a superior picture. Yes, they do use more electricity, which ends up as heat in the room, and they are heavy. This merely goes to show that nothing is perfect.

garydale

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
to demonhorde665: Rather than comment about the lack of a spell checker, why not upgrade to Firefox? It automatically checks my spelling as I type.

G

Not to mention he got his facts wrong. Big CRT tvs use voltage high enough to produce X-Rays.

Conductors, like metal, REFLECT electromagnetic waves - due to the currents that appear in them when they're "hit", they act as wave emitters and generate a new, inverted wave.

And some other things I'm not getting into. :p

So... if you're gonna lecture people, get your facts right first. ^_^

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]ram1009[/nom]They don't mention how hot the plasmas run or that they consume almost twice the power for a given screen size. Also, I don't know where some get the idea that plasmas are more expensive than LCDs. Where I shop they are at least 25% less than equivalent LCDs. I guess I'm not much of a purist.[/citation]
Plasmas sell fewer and reailers are trying to getrid of their supplies.
btw,
Check the specs. Some of those plasmas at bargan prices offer minimal features like input/ouput options. And yeah, they consume more electricty that the same sized LCD.

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I've seen a small OLED demo unit... 15" diagonal playing a dvd. Damn thing looked AMAZING. I know we tech geeks like to argue about the relative merits of LCD vs. Plasma, but this screen blew them both so far out of the water with it's image that you'll never think there's any difference between the two again. Black levels were BLACK, and colors were crisp and vibrant (of course a good black level makes your colors look better).

And one more big check on the cool factor... the screen was less than a centimeter thick, it looked like a plate of glass with a beautiful bright image suspended in it. I'm sure they'll eventually sort out the problems with OLED displays and when they do these will quickly take over the high end of the market.

quadibloc

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
I do remember seeing an inexpensive plasma TV at one discount electronics store, but when I took a close look at it, it turned out that it wasn't even a 780p set, it only had 480-line resolution; it was a regular TV, not an HDTV. It was cheaper than 780p LCD screens of the same size.

Studly007

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
I think the Samsung 8000 series can hold its own against a Kuro Elite (pretty even matchup, though).

I'd like to hear a collective review (not just one - possibly biased - HDTV enthusiast/critic) provide an intensive, detailed comparison / breakdown of the similarities and differences.

OLED is still way too young. Ridiculously overpriced (and I mean, Ridiculously). I'll preach it, 'til I'm blue in the face:

SED !!! SED !!! S - E - D !!!!! Get back in the game !!!!

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I'm on your side demonhorde665. I thought your response was much nicer than most of the stupid posts here. I can live with some spelling mistakes, who in the world really proofreads the fleetign comemnts they post down here? If you have that kind of time and think it matters you are too into yourself. demonhorde665 is my hero!

Status
Not open for further replies.