Plasma TVs on the Way Out; Still Best

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"...who in the world really proofreads the fleetign comemnts they post down here?"

Well I think we all now know P05esto doesn't. :)

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Sony did nothing new with OLED this CES. I was hoping to see some new models that is more mainstream but it seems now it's still years off. But plasma was always better than LCD imo. Just use your eyes to compare tv's at bestbuy or anywhere else and I don't think you can argue otherwise. Though they do use a lot of electricity, it really not that much more than CRT's if you consider most tv's nowadays are way bigger.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Regarding typos, it depends:

One or two typos are forgivable. We all make mistakes.

However, if there are so many typos that your post is not readable, there's a problem...

dmccarron

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
demonhorde666

"2. I was not explaining radiation to every one here, I was only explaining it to the aformentioned idiot, so he would understand. So why dont you shut up dmccarron and quit being a smart a-- a-hole."

Haha - fair enough - far be it from me to think you or anyone would take any criticism sitting down - though as one much older and thick-skinned, I should provide you with a few caveats - things I learned the hard way too, for your edification.

1. Learn to laugh at yourself a bit. I do. While I wouldn't bother poking at your spelling mistakes (maybe if I were, say, 20 years younger), did you EXPECT others your age to leave that alone? If the shoe were on the other foot, YOU have done the same - don't argue - admit it.

2. Recognize the two-way-street - Telling others to "get a life" for that is silly - everyone here comments about things (frivolous or not) because they are enthusiasts about electronics technology and it is what they are into. Why did you waste two hours to post this epistle about the electromagnetic spectrum (as well as myriad follow-ups, and ostensibly SLEEPY no less)? For ONE dumb guy who obviously isn't going to read that much information anyway? Or to show off how much you know to the rest of us? The answer is...BOTH - you're an open book, dude, and your age is showing. I admit I may have done the same back in the day too - we all did at one point.

3. Protocol - if you give respect, you get respect. I never was profane with you, so your response is a bit out of line. I'm not really offended, so you know - if you think I'm a smart-a$$, ok - they say "with arrogance comes responsibility." I try to be as responsible as I am arrogant - all is then well.

So, before you then accuse me of doing ALSO needing to get a life, etc, remember, I should let you know - --->I

dmccarron

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
(oops - right - syntax - I'm an idiot)

**I** am a hardware enthusiast too, and a longtime Tom's reader (1996 - the day I got Daggerfall). looking for your opinions is a fine past-time. Plus, I also used black-metal-ish sounding screen names, so anyone with "demonhorde666" can't be half bad.

But seriously, people will back off if you learn to roll with the punches better - ironic but true.

Sorry to everyone else for the longish sermon to whom-it-may-be-concerned

Good Day.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
To add to the fray;)

Because of the high voltages involved, CRTs do emit x-rays. Basically, the technology is not much different than x-ray emitters used in x-ray machines. Newer technologies that are similar like SED/FED do not because they do not involve the higher voltages. Are those x-rays harmful? Who knows. It might be interesting to note if there are any studies of couch potatoes who have gotten cancer. LOL!

Of course, LCD does not suffer from x-ray emission. The technology is totally different.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Sony did show a 27" OLED at CES this year, although, it was not a production model. They also showed a stand-alone Blu-ray recorder prototype. Tom's, somehow (I cannot imagine how ;)) overlooked the 27" OLED set and the BR recorder prototype. However, there are other news sources that cite the OLED and BRR prototype. In fact, I posted a link in the discussion thread for Tom's "2009 CES review" "article" that claimed that there were no OLEDs shown.

Also, Panasonic revealed a plasma panel that consumes 1/2 the power of the past generation plasma panels. IIRC, it was similar in power consumption to similarly sized LCD panels. Perhaps, just perhaps, Panasonic will keep plasma alive, however, given that they will have a corner on the plasma market, they will face little competition and may outrageously price what they offer.

IMHO, OLED, is the way to go. Even LED backlit LCDs will look pale in comparison. In the intervening time before OLED, FED or SED may hit the market - if Sony can get its loan for the FED factory they want to build, or Canon can get over the "shame" of introducing a superior display technology like SED.

G

Working in the AV integration industry, we have found that most manufacturers are dropping plamsas even in the commercial ranges. NEC 60" are no longer in the distribution chain, 42" are in short supply but 50" are OK for the next couple of months.

My five-year-old Sony 42" needs replaced so I plan tackling her indoors about a 50" Kuros before they all disappear. We see all models come through our doors and I have yet to see an LCD, at any price, which can match the best plasmas.

Go off axis, and the picture deteriorates more easily on LCD than plasma. LCD is OK for one user positioned optimally but not for shared viewing. This is a must-have for shared video-conference use so my colleagues are having to rethink our offerings . . . now.

dmccarron

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
VC-indahouse:

"Go off axis, and the picture deteriorates more easily on LCD than plasma. LCD is OK for one user positioned optimally but not for shared viewing. This is a must-have for shared video-conference use so my colleagues are having to rethink our offerings . . . now."

Very good point.

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
The newest generation of LCD panels have very little off axis problem... quality units show no degradation until you're much farther off axis than you'd want to be for comfortable viewing of ANY screen.

dmccarron

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Dave K[/nom]The newest generation of LCD panels have very little off axis problem... quality units show no degradation until you're much farther off axis than you'd want to be for comfortable viewing of ANY screen.[/citation]

For PC screens 30" or less this is definitely true. But is this still true for such huge lcd's 56" or more? Just curious. They QUOTE a 175 or so degree viewing angle nowadays, but I've never seen one used beyond, say, 120 degrees practically. Then again, I have never seen in a wide conference room either. Maybe I'll stop in to look at a new one somewhere to see....

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Best Buy is a great place to check out the current offerings. I recall that the last time I looked I was actually pretty impressed with the wide viewing angle on the new displays. If you were sitting far enough off angle to actually see the drop off in intensity... you'd already have a really crappy picture from the poor angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.