PlayOn Streams Netflix, Hulu to Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It should be noted that these people are only after your money. A "Lifetime subscription" not not what most of you would consider Lifetime, it actually means you will always have access to the version of the software you purchase. If they ever add something new (New Channels) be ready to pay another $39.99, for the privlage of upgrading. If this sounds dirty...... It is and they have already done this.

silmarilwest

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Not really interesting when I need a separate PC to use. This is like the headlines saying "run Windows 7 on the iPhone" and it turned out to be a VNC client.

seeit360

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Funny. I never had to pay any more and keep getting new channels and capabilities. Sounds like sour grapes Nexis99.

seeit360

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Funny. I never had to pay any more and keep getting new channels and capabilities. Sounds like sour grapes Nexis99.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I won't be buying another Android if Google can't figure out something to make Netflix streaming happen. I like the OS but it really isn't anything special compared to the competition. I use Netflix streaming all the time and a WP7 or iOS device will be my choice if Google can't figure it out.

seeit360

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I won't be buying another Android if Google can't figure out something to make Netflix streaming happen. I like the OS but it really isn't anything special compared to the competition. I use Netflix streaming all the time and a WP7 or iOS device will be my choice if Google can't figure it out.[/citation]

You understand it's a copyright thing not a google thing, right? It's all about the lawyers, which is why PlayOn will get huge and avoid the issue. They figured out how to stream this web content after it arrives in your PC's browser, so they are like an invisible HDMI cable to your device. That's really smart and legal fair use. This is what net neutrality legislation is trying to protect.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]seeit360[/nom]You understand it's a copyright thing not a google thing, right? It's all about the lawyers, which is why PlayOn will get huge and avoid the issue. They figured out how to stream this web content after it arrives in your PC's browser, so they are like an invisible HDMI cable to your device. That's really smart and legal fair use. This is what net neutrality legislation is trying to protect.[/citation]

No, it's a Google thing because they aren't enforcing standard content security like the other mobile OS's are. Windows Phone 7 has been out for all of two months and it had a Netflix application on day one. This is Google's fault. Some of the phone manufacturers are taking content security into their own hands because Google won't or can't figure it out. It's ridiculous really.

seeit360

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]No, it's a Google thing because they aren't enforcing standard content security like the other mobile OS's are. Windows Phone 7 has been out for all of two months and it had a Netflix application on day one. This is Google's fault. Some of the phone manufacturers are taking content security into their own hands because Google won't or can't figure it out. It's ridiculous really.[/citation] Good Point. I've Noticed something I don't see discussed much though. Some content you find on the Web and PlayOn versions of Netflix is missing in the device offering of Netflix (e.g. Documentaries > Independent), I've also noticed PlayOn gives you the web PC version of the Daily Show too, not just clips like you'd find if you browse directly to the page via Android (Google TV and handhelds) or iPhone or Windows Mobile. This decision seems to be driven by either Lawyers, Marketing or simply greed by the content providers part. So PlayOn is still a great deal as all end devices are treated equally to those offerings you'd find on a PC. I think saying Google cant or won't stream video is not true. They are simply being asked to pay for it because they have money others want.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]seeit360[/nom]Good Point. I've Noticed something I don't see discussed much though. Some content you find on the Web and PlayOn versions of Netflix is missing in the device offering of Netflix (e.g. Documentaries > Independent), I've also noticed PlayOn gives you the web PC version of the Daily Show too, not just clips like you'd find if you browse directly to the page via Android (Google TV and handhelds) or iPhone or Windows Mobile. This decision seems to be driven by either Lawyers, Marketing or simply greed by the content providers part. So PlayOn is still a great deal as all end devices are treated equally to those offerings you'd find on a PC. I think saying Google cant or won't stream video is not true. They are simply being asked to pay for it because they have money others want.[/citation]

The essence of licensing. Also keep in mind that there many be some unrealistic price tags attached to to some of the licensing deals to keep certain players out of the market, give others a chance to catch up and get their own products out. NBC/Comcast wants to get their own streaming products out there. Content providers might be stalling or asking for too much so they can get their own service on the market.

G

Why buy PlayOn for ps3 when I already have Netflix and HuluPlus on it? Hmmm.... PlayOn should be ashamed of themselves.

G

This is a sad and sick joke. In using PlayOn on your mobile device you'r enot completely mobile. Unless I'm doing something wrong, a subscriber is still tethered to their WiFi. Meaning one cant really leave the house very far and still be able to use. I just tried this and was so excited only to be terribly dissapointed. Writers need to look up the word, and more importantly look up the intent of the word, "mobile" If one has a large HD tv (or more) in their house, why would they submit to the comparative inadequacy of watching movies on their mobile device only meters away from their entertainment systems. I'm sure Netflix is ecstatic about this as they may have received an increase of subscribers that have been waiting to hear that they're "available" on android phones now. On a good note, I can now freely roam 15 feet around my 52 inch LG television while watching "Shutter Island" on my DroidX.

G

I absolutely love Playon’s Xbox integration, and have been using it for years. I hope to see some improvement in their Android app. As a DISH Network employee, I believe it lacks features that I need. Right now, I use the DISH Network Remote Access app to stream live TV, on demand content, and all of my DVR recordings. I do have high hopes for Playon, and I am very glad to see them expanding.

G

Hey Radyor, it's not joke. The mobile really means mobile, because I have a droid incredible, and it works great over 3G. Must be a config issue on your side.

Status
Not open for further replies.