PlayStation 3 Outsells Wii... in Japan

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]PS3 would be dominating 360 if developers put better care in ports. PS3 has some annoyances that simply shouldn't have ever happened.1) no rumble support at launch2) removed backwards compatibility3) the controller sucks and needs a redesignOtherwise, it's been a good system so far and I think it's superior to the 360 in terms of graphics, features, and value. I guess it just suffers mostly from lazy ports.[/citation]

Do you not think that sony thought the controller design was good enough to carry over from PSONE to PS2 to PS3???
Do you own an Xbox? Most people who play more xbox prefer the xbox controller. I still prefer the ps2 controller over the xbox controller.... that's right- ps2 controller. I have a ps2, no ps3, but play xbox 360 more than I play my ps2... PS2 still has the nicest controller design imo.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
The next gen will be interesting… I don’t think Wii has a chance.

I can see PS4 and 720 (whatever they’re going to b called) adopting some of Wii’s simplicity but have the advantage of already having the superior graphics. I fully believe Sony/M$ can duplicate the SHIT motion controls of Wii quickly. I think it will be far more difficult for Nintendo to gain graphic power at low costs.

The present race is fully determined by the following:
-Low cost of the Wii make it #1… Mom & Dad aren’t spending 500 bucks on a game console. (I paid just under 1k for my PS3 on day1)
-The discrete titles of the 360 and the year early release over PS3 make it #2
-The price gouging of Sony and also the lack of discrete titles for Sony make them #3.

I think if PS3 had the same titles as 360 then PS3 would be the better console. In fact I like PS3 the most anyhow….

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]Do you not think that sony thought the controller design was good enough to carry over from PSONE to PS2 to PS3???Do you own an Xbox? Most people who play more xbox prefer the xbox controller. I still prefer the ps2 controller over the xbox controller.... that's right- ps2 controller. I have a ps2, no ps3, but play xbox 360 more than I play my ps2... PS2 still has the nicest controller design imo.[/citation]

You are the only person I have ever heard say that the PS controllers are equal to or better than the xbox ones. Most of my friends' own PS2s and 3s and don't own xboxes and even they admit that the M$ controller is better.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]The next gen will be interesting… I don’t think Wii has a chance. I can see PS4 and 720 (whatever they’re going to b called) adopting some of Wii’s simplicity but have the advantage of already having the superior graphics. I fully believe Sony/M$ can duplicate the SHIT motion controls of Wii quickly. I think it will be far more difficult for Nintendo to gain graphic power at low costs.The present race is fully determined by the following:-Low cost of the Wii make it #1… Mom & Dad aren’t spending 500 bucks on a game console. [/citation]

I think you have this backwards. Considering that the graphics chips are taken care of by someone else its actually the motion controls (and patents) that take the most R&D time for a console manufacturer to generate. How much horsepower they want to put under the hood is pretty easy to adjust right up to the point that you are finalizing your software developement kit so that programers know what their limitations are etc.

Nintendo will likely go for a small footprint and reasonable price again. They already have experience with working with the motion controls, they now have massive market pentration and name recognition as well as many companies willing to make software for them. Upgrading the graphics hardware by comparison is pretty damn easy.

People can call it a toy and bash the wii all they want. But anyone that's played RE4 wii edition likely understands all too well how great an already decent title becomes with the wii's controls added to the mix.

If nintendo launches their next gen around the same time as MS or Sony and its backwards compatible with graphics upgraded enough to allow the majority of titles to be released for its platform along with similar size and price it will likely continue to dominate.

G

I have all three consoles and I prefer the PS3 controller. It is small and the joysticks are in the right place, IMO. And the d-pad is 10 times better (for the rare times when that matters, but still) than that crazy Microsoft one. That said, I find the new xbox controllers much better than last generation, and except for the d-pad I barely notice a difference from a PS3 controller after a few minutes.

eraigames

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
As someone who lives in Japan, I would like to dispell the myth that Japan is the land of videogames. That was once true but it is no longer that way.

Actually the numbers reported in this article seem very skewed to me. From what I have noticed, the Xbox360 has been doing REALLY well in Japan. Also the only reason for the surge in sales of PS3s is that the two new games released this month are better than most of the crap that has been out for the system. Still though, there are hardly any games out for the PS3 in Japan. Even here in Japan, the xbox360 has FAR more titles out than the PS3 OR the Wii.

Most Japanese people are either busy with their mobile systems or their Wiis or still pluggin away with their PS2s. The few people I know here with nextgen systems have Xbox360s and sadly, I am the only person I know with a PS3... ugh.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Yeah, no kidding. Who cares about Japan's games and things that effect them. They have tons of games you never see. It's like hearing a release date and then realizing that's the Japanese release date and you have to wait a long time before it comes to america (if at all). A good example is FF13... I am just happy we've got a few good ones here in the US.. (Blizzard, id Software, valve and EA games to name a few)[/citation]

you are FORGETTING A TON OF COMPANIES

thaere are many many gme developers in the US (NOTE NOT PUBLISHERS, EA is jsut a publisher)

developers i know of that have bases in US or at elast ahve a mjor part of their developing done in the US

1. bioware (offfices in canada and Texas)
2. Obsidian entertainment (main office in texas secondary in canada)
3. Aklaim (californa offices)
4. Midway ( based from austin)
5. 3d realms/ aka. aspyr ( based out side of dallas texas)
6. Id (cali based)
7. Valve (US based not sure what state)
8. Every game studio that is onwed by MS (there are 5 i think)
9. Bungie (canada and cali based)
12. Most developer studios owned by EA (there are like 12 t think)
13. Monolith (us based but not sure what state)
14 . Bethesda (washington D.C. based)

and i'mm sure that's not all. It can be hard to gauge just how many developers are based in the Us as many developers hold offices in and out side of US, to make matters worse MANY nim rods only hear about publishers and get the two mixed up (like people saying EA makes games , when EA hasn't been a developer since 1996, they onlyu publish games now, they dont make them them selves any more)

to further confuse the issue many developers are also publishers such as 3d realms , some games they publish but didnt developer (Prey) while other times they develope games and use a different publisher to publish it (the duke nukem forver ,which still hasnt seen day light). and of course ther are those that publish ALL thier own games and NO one elses nor do they ever get an outside publisher to publish for them (bethesda / AKA Zenimax media inc.)

point being , ther are just as many if not MORE US based developers than there are japanese based developers. for this reason alone is why the US market is really the most important market to catch. geting the us market on your side (as aconsole maker), is like having 10 extra friends show with you for the fight after school. (those friends being the developers).

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]belawrence[/nom]The primary purpose of the three consoles are to PLAY GAMES, which to me, translates into, ALL CONSOLES ARE TOYS! Heck, I even consider my quad-core gaming rig a toy. Saying the Wii is "just a toy" is just as fanboyish as saying "the PS3 is just an overpriced Blu ray Disc player
". Both devices primary function are GAMES which makes them both TOYS, period.[/citation]

A-fing-men to that bro !!! .. the way i figure, if it can be played with it's a dang toy LOL , that includes every thing from my bass guitar collection , to my PC , to my freaking mediveval sword collection (granted the swords are NOT to be taken lightly especially since they are all sharp and functional swords LOL :p)

and lets face it ,e ven at teh "un-toy" pricing of these consoles their cost doesn't come any where NEAR the cost of my music studioa dn bass guitar collection i got back when i had money , which was quite a few years ago from now ( long story short step dad's life insurance only went so far, and now i don't have hardly any cash ever for any thing :( )

P.S. may my step dad rest in peace , and yeah if i could trade all the crap i've collected for him to be alive , i'd do so in a heart beat

but ahh damn got into a reminiscant rant sorry , back to topic , yeayhn consoles are toys most every thing any guy get's into screwing aroudn with is a freaking toy ( except women of course)

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]Do you not think that sony thought the controller design was good enough to carry over from PSONE to PS2 to PS3???Do you own an Xbox? Most people who play more xbox prefer the xbox controller. I still prefer the ps2 controller over the xbox controller.... that's right- ps2 controller. I have a ps2, no ps3, but play xbox 360 more than I play my ps2... PS2 still has the nicest controller design imo.[/citation]

control design is such an opinionated thing ... fact is that is your opinion , it doenst actually make the controller nicer, jsut nicer for you. me personally i think both the ps2/3 and the 360 controllers suck , the best damn ciontroller i ever used was the original xbox's conroller (not the redesign but that big honking beautiful control they had first) and again this is my opinion , i got big hands , and i hate tiny controlers that cram all the bvuttons so close together that it pains my hand durring matches in soul calibur and or other fighting game series. so also in this regard i think 360's are nicer than PS2/3 controllers cos to me the PSstyle ones are much smaller and even more cramed than the 360's controller. but again this is my opinion ... get the point ? every one has an opinion don't state yours off like it's a fact.

G

Just to prove that idisarmu isn't alone, I also prefer the playstation controller.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Don't really blame JP for not liking MS, even america doesn't like MS. And definitely the blu-ray player makes a big impact on their decision since it's convenient and saves from buying a separate player, and that FFXIII fits on 1 disc.

plbyrd

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]Don't really blame JP for not liking MS, even america doesn't like MS. And definitely the blu-ray player makes a big impact on their decision since it's convenient and saves from buying a separate player, and that FFXIII fits on 1 disc.[/citation]
That's just a bunch of nonsense. Just because there is a small, but loud group of Microsoft haters doesn't mean you can extrapolate that to the whole country.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I amazed the 360 has sold 1/3 as many consoles in Japan as the PS3. I always figured it was way less. MSFT is making some serious inroads in the home country of super gamers.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]plbyrd[/nom]I was KMart the other day and they had a rack full of Wii's. They had lots of emptly slots where X360 units go, with one single Elite in stock. What does that tell you?[/citation]

That the Kmart just got a restock of Wii units.

You're anectdotal observation has no weight other than being a simple one-time picture of one Kmart. btw, do people still really shop at Kmart?

plbyrd

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Mach5Motorsport[/nom]That the Kmart just got a restock of Wii units. You're anectdotal observation has no weight other than being a simple one-time picture of one Kmart. btw, do people still really shop at Kmart?[/citation]

Lots of people shop at KMart. Go look at their stock since they merged with Sears. The KMart experience is constantly getting better to the point to where my wife finds it a viable alternative to Wal-Mart again.

And I was in Best Buy recently and saw nearly the same thing as I saw in KMart, but they had a few more Elites, but were out of Arcade and Pro systems.

Remember, retailers are reporting that the Wii is no longer having out-of-stock issues. Maybe because the area of the country I live in (Tennessee) isn't as rabidly anti-Microsoft that the XBOX sells better than in places where it's passe to hate on anything coming out of Redmond.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]plbyrd[/nom]Lots of people shop at KMart. Go look at their stock since they merged with Sears. The KMart experience is constantly getting better to the point to where my wife finds it a viable alternative to Wal-Mart again.And I was in Best Buy recently and saw nearly the same thing as I saw in KMart, but they had a few more Elites, but were out of Arcade and Pro systems.Remember, retailers are reporting that the Wii is no longer having out-of-stock issues. Maybe because the area of the country I live in (Tennessee) isn't as rabidly anti-Microsoft that the XBOX sells better than in places where it's passe to hate on anything coming out of Redmond.[/citation]

People have been saying the "Kmart experience" is better for the past decade. ;) Where are they again?

In the US, the Wii is still tops as is the Nintendo DS for hand helds.

plbyrd

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
"People have been saying the "Kmart experience" is better for the past decade. ;) Where are they again?"

All of their shelves now have inventory. That's a huge improvement over five years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.