PlayStation 3 Outsells Wii... in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Well, with the X360 basically not even able to compete in Japan, it seems that only time until PS3 catches up because I'm very sure that the market for the Wii in Japan should be completely saturated by now. So people who may want more than a Wii would also pick up a PS3 to compliment their Wii.

This is indeed a good and welcomed step forward for Sony.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Way too many good PS3 games aren't translated into English and that's one reason why 360 are selling better than PS3 in US (don't know about EU).

It also doesn't help that most non-Asian aren't very gadget savvy.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
It’s because everyone already owns a Wii LOL

Don’t get me wrong i love PS3 the most of all the consoles and i own all three. It’s just a matter of time before 360 and PS3 start catching Wii because everyone has a Wii already.

foxyg

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Wii is not targeting same audiance as Xbox 360 and PS3. Wii is more of a toy than video game console, its graphic technology is 10 years old, the selling point of Wii is nothing but the motion controller.
PS3 is doing ok in Japan, but I don't think it can catch Xbox 360 over all this generation. Xbox 360 is too damn good atm.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
this simply doesn't mean that ps 3 will now go on up from now on and become the number one console. the video game business is a complementarity business, that is that not only is it hardware but software. if you look at what the games were being released for the ps3, you can probably assume that japanese gamers like those games and since those games were particularly released only for ps3 and those who want to play it will likely buy a ps3. however, if those games were to be released for both ps3 and wii, you'll more likely see that the ps3 would have stayed stagnant while the wii would have gone up.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]And yet, I don't care.[/citation]
Yeah, no kidding. Who cares about Japan's games and things that effect them. They have tons of games you never see. It's like hearing a release date and then realizing that's the Japanese release date and you have to wait a long time before it comes to america (if at all). A good example is FF13... I am just happy we've got a few good ones here in the US.. (Blizzard, id Software, valve and EA games to name a few)

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]I am just happy we've got a few good ones here in the US.. (Blizzard, id Software, valve and EA games to name a few)[/citation]

EA Games? Good?? Ahahahhahaha!!! The only good titles owned by EA are ones created by other companies and then bought out by them.

belawrence

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I've been gaming since before the Atari 2600 - remember those handheld football and baseball games by Coleco and Mattel. News Flash: ALL CONSOLES ARE TOYS! Their primary purpose are to play GAMES. I even consider my quad-core gaming PC a toy. It's like saying "I'm not a trash collector, I'm a sanitation technician".

belawrence

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
The primary purpose of the three consoles are to PLAY GAMES, which to me, translates into, ALL CONSOLES ARE TOYS! Heck, I even consider my quad-core gaming rig a toy. Saying the Wii is "just a toy" is just as fanboyish as saying "the PS3 is just an overpriced Blu ray Disc player". Both devices primary function are GAMES which makes them both TOYS, period.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
PS3 would be dominating 360 if developers put better care in ports. PS3 has some annoyances that simply shouldn't have ever happened.

1) no rumble support at launch
2) removed backwards compatibility
3) the controller sucks and needs a redesign

Otherwise, it's been a good system so far and I think it's superior to the 360 in terms of graphics, features, and value. I guess it just suffers mostly from lazy ports.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I'd love to see the PS3 gain some share and even catch up, but I have to agree that if it's only Japan that sees more PS3 sales, then only Japan will see the PS3 games to go along with it. Even if it were to outsell the Wii, even if it hit 80 million sold in Japan, the US would see almost no new imports. As far as Sony is concerned, the US is an underserved market and should remain such. (Much like Microsoft feels about Japan.)

belawrence

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
sorry for the double post - my quad-core computing "toy" crashed during the first post which wasn't visible after reboot, so I assumed my first post didn't get submitted.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
There are two kids of gamers, hardcore and kids. Xbox360(come on MS come up with something easier to type next time I swear we won't care) and PS3 are sharing the same audience... Combine PS3 and X3(!) sales and you get a pretty good idea of how the market is split. The only good news for Sony and MS is next generation they get another huge market share because Nintendo will try to do the same thing again and it will fail. The good news for Nintendo is the generation after Next they will be kings again... Sega was too impatient and tried to straddle the line too many times. Make sure to save all this cash Nintendo, you gonna need it!

foxyg

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]PS3 would be dominating 360 if developers put better care in ports. PS3 has some annoyances that simply shouldn't have ever happened.1) no rumble support at launch2) removed backwards compatibility3) the controller sucks and needs a redesignOtherwise, it's been a good system so far and I think it's superior to the 360 in terms of graphics, features, and value. I guess it just suffers mostly from lazy ports.[/citation]

PS doesn't have better graphic than Xbox 360. Time and time again, it has been proven they both are capable console have strength and weakness of its own.

Sony shot themself on the foot with Blu-Ray. Because of Blu-Ray, PS3 came out 1 year after xbox 360, and double price of xbox 360.

plbyrd

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
The only advantage the Wii has had was pent up demand from word of mouth. That has now been satiated and either the Wii gets a new Killer Game that can re-spark that WOM, or it will finally succumb to the X360 as Microsoft's numbers continue to climb and climb and climb while the Wii has definitely plateaued if not flat out started declining.

I was KMart the other day and they had a rack full of Wii's. They had lots of emptly slots where X360 units go, with one single Elite in stock. What does that tell you?

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
[citation][nom]belawrence[/nom]sorry for the double post - my quad-core computing "toy" crashed during the first post which wasn't visible after reboot, so I assumed my first post didn't get submitted.[/citation]
what a bad toy you got there! :D
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]PS3 would be dominating 360 if developers put better care in ports. PS3 has some annoyances that simply shouldn't have ever happened.1) no rumble support at launch2) removed backwards compatibility3) the controller sucks and needs a redesign[/citation]
About the controller, I am completely agree with you!
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i still dont consider the wii a console. its a toy[/citation]
no, it's a console, and a console is a toy! get it?
I hope ps3 get more games, I mean exclusive games! they are losing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.