PlayStation 3 Shipments Exceed Xbox 360

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]Good for Sony, bad for gamers... Sony's library of games is garbage, and great it has blu ray... a techinology that wont be around long cus physical media is a dying breed[/citation]

Agreed, even though the PS3 does have blue ray every year that goes by that counts as less and less of a bonus.

Blue Ray (and any other physical format) is going the way of the dinosaur. Anyone noticed how much floor space has been reduced for physical media lately? Go into any Best Buy and you will quickly see that floor space for any physical media is now about 1/3 of the size it used to be.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Oh noes this is like when Latinos passed African Americans for the numger 1 minority!

It really just leaves XBox fanbois nothing to brag about! Now they can't say they have better games, they can't say they have better hardware, and they can't say they have a bigger install base! Maybe they can brag about Windows phone or something...

G

I still think 1 universal console that connects everyone is better than 3+ platforms, everyone ditch your consoles and play on a PC.

neotechi

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
[citation][nom]asdas[/nom]I still think 1 universal console that connects everyone is better than 3+ platforms, everyone ditch your consoles and play on a PC.[/citation]

Definitely agreeing with you on this one. I've been saying for years that all a console is is a PC with severely limited functionality.

backlashwave

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2005
I am new to console gaming, I bought an xbox 360 but returned it just after 2 days, the graphics were terrible compared to ps3. I agree it depends on the game. But after playing killzone 3 and god of war 3 I simply love the ps3 graphics. My reasons for returning xbox 360 are the external power supply, noise and the need for batteries for the controller.

G

just buy all of them..
i have wii, 4 xbox 360 (for gaming and netflix in every room that I have a tv), 1 playstation3 and an alien pc..

there is no reason to limit yourselft

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]The notion that motion sensing is the future of gaming makes me sad. Same with 3D. Call me a traditionalist, but I'm happy with my controller and ordinary flatscreen.[/citation]
I agree and like my PC, prefer a mouse keyboard for any FPS game. The consoles are good for sport games and others. Ratchet and Clank is a riot. If you do not already own a bunch of 360 games it would be a much more logical choice to buy a PS3, Blue Ray player, user replaceable HD and so on.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]backlashwave[/nom]I am new to console gaming, I bought an xbox 360 but returned it just after 2 days, the graphics were terrible compared to ps3. I agree it depends on the game. But after playing killzone 3 and god of war 3 I simply love the ps3 graphics. My reasons for returning xbox 360 are the external power supply, noise and the need for batteries for the controller.[/citation]
PS3 graphics better...uhhh...sir. there is absolutely no difference in the graphics between xbox and ps3. maybe you should try Crysis 2 on the 360. I hate idiots that try to differentiate graphics on the two systems..

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I really hope nintendo puts out a HD console this year. I would be all over that, a 2D HD mario and donkey kong. Would be amazing. They would also get the jump on 360 and PS3 for a hardware update and like the 360 take the lead as they got in the game first this generation.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I agree that the PS3 has better features (bluray, hdd, etc.), but if you're using it for the main purpose, gaming, the 360 is a better system. 360 games are simply better in many cases. And no, I'm not talking about exclusives. Most games that are on both systems were designed for the 360/PC, since they're both MS and almost interchangeable, then ported to the PS3. I'm sure most of the readers of this site know all about bad ports. Black Ops on PS3 have massive frame-rate issues for months before Tryarch finally released a fix. And that's a AAA, massive game studio.

As far as the comments on America go, America's probably the single biggest consumer of video games, so it's probably a valid point to bring up.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Yes do look at PS3 exclusives to see the very noticable difference in superiority in graphics compared to the nearly obsolete 360. Despite what the 360 fanboys want you to believe Blue ray is doing well. But Microsoft will keep adding junk to the 360 to prolong it's death hoping that on-demand can ever get fast enough for th masses so that they dont have to face a very embarassing situation of having to adopt to Blue Ray. Good luck Micro$oft! :) I'll keep enjoying my far more future proof PS3.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
This article still needs some sort of comment added about the whole "installed base" figure and how they came up with it. As far as sales/shipments, the 360 is still in the lead and will be probably until the end of this year when I imagine the PS3 will take over (which really depends on the future sales and games of the Kinect though).

The heading for this article is flat out wrong as well.

I question the whole installed base figure as well since Xbox games and accessories sell more than PS3 on average. So either Xbox has a larger installed base or they buy more games. Either way, Xbox has the lead at least until the end of this year.

G

MS has higher sales but lower install base, which makes sense. With 15%+ failure rates, people buy a new console to protect their video games libraries, hence higher sales for the console

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]But how many PCs were shipped in that time frame (or better, how many graphics cards better than what is in the consoles)?[/citation]

Not about the supieror gaming graphics it's about the affordablity, game titles and gameplay itself. Which draw many casual gamers to consoles.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]kiniku[/nom]Yes do look at PS3 exclusives to see the very noticable difference in superiority in graphics compared to the nearly obsolete 360. Despite what the 360 fanboys want you to believe Blue ray is doing well. But Microsoft will keep adding junk to the 360 to prolong it's death hoping that on-demand can ever get fast enough for th masses so that they dont have to face a very embarassing situation of having to adopt to Blue Ray. Good luck Micro$oft! I'll keep enjoying my far more future proof PS3.[/citation]
funny you say this, because while you hold on to your PS3, microsoft will be rolling out a brand new xbox system with all superior hardware. then Sony will be wondering when they'll have time to play catch-up and make the same product with a different name. oh, but with BLU-RAY!..not that it will matter by then.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
MS has higher sales but lower install base, which makes sense. With 15%+ failure rates, people buy a new console to protect their video games libraries, hence higher sales for the console

There is some truth to this; however, not all of the failures are sales since repairs are not counted in sales measures. Also, that neglects the large amount of PS3 users that use it only for Blu-ray. I have several family members and friends with PS3s and only 1 games with it and the other 4 use it for Blu-ray and netflix. While this isn't the norm, there is a large percentage of PS3s only being used for Blu-ray which is not part of the true installed base (same is true for 360s only used as a media center extender).

Status
Not open for further replies.