NickBrahz

Estimable
Oct 4, 2014
For years i have used a HDMI cord to watch movies from my PC to my TV, last week it all of a sudden stopped working, i have tried getting it to detect in NVIDIA control panel and in screen resolution options but it still does not detect the TV.

I have fiddled around with some stuff with my TV to find out the cause but it has me most puzzled.

All 4 of my HDMI cords work perfectly with my Xbox 360 in all 3 of my TV HDMI ports, meaning it can't be the ports on the TV or the cables.
None of the 4 HDMI cords work with my PS3 on any of the 3 ports but all 4 HDMI cords work on a different TV which means again not the cords and my PS3 is working.
None of the 4 cords work with my PC on any of my 3 ports either yet my HDMI cord and HDMI PC port work fine with a computer monitor.

So my TV ports are all working, all my HDMI cords are working yet for some reason it is only picking up my Xbox 360 and not my PS3 and PC for some reason, i've gone through my TV settings a half dozen times even restoring to factory settings with no luck and i am very confused as to why all of a sudden only my 360 works with my TV, any help is wanted.

Cheers, Nick.

Solution
Just for giggles, are you trying to use the PC or PS3 WITH the 360 still connected? Have you tried it with it disconnected. Just a thought.

I'd try disconnecting ALL devices from the TV. Unplug ALL devices from power for about three minutes. Reconnect all power to all devices. Turn the TV back on and reset all settings to default using it's settings menu. Reconnect the HDMI cable to the PS3 and then then the TV, or the PC to the TV, whichever. If there is still no change, then I'm at a loss as to what the issue might be.
It's possible you have devices/cables with different HDMI versions. I'd double check those standards to make sure your computer, PS3 and Xbox 360 all have the same generation of at least compatible generations of HDMI. If you have an older (Or newer) standard on one both not the other, the cable might not be compatible with the PS3 and PC and yet be fully compatible with the Xbox. This is uncommon for the most part these days, but I suppose it's possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Versions

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/123891-13-hdmi-cable-works-xbox

http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/ps3-hdmi-black-screen/

If the connection has been working, exactly as you are trying to use it now, for years as you say, but suddenly does not, then there has either been a :

1. Driver change (PC)

2. HDMI cable failure

3. Settings change on the source or target device . (Perhaps without your knowledge)

4. Damage to the pins on the HDMI cable or socket.

5. A firmware upgrade problem

6. A PC board failure on the console or the television.

If you can eliminate all but one of those items, however unlikely, it would be the probable although not necessarily the only possible, cause. Something HAS to have changed been when it worked, and when it didn't. Since smart televisions and consoles don't generally update their firmware without your knowledge, this is unlikely.

NickBrahz

Estimable
Oct 4, 2014
Think the source of it is to do with the TV some sort of setting but i cant seem to find it, i tried using PS3 with old composite cables and it worked but then when i tried to change it to the HDMI it would be a black screen, though my TV recognized something being plugged in because it was coloured in the HDMI 2 port which it was in ( which they are usually dull grey if there isn't something connected and turned on). I have tried restoring default settings on TV and nothing happens and to reply you your things.

1. Yes there was a driver change but that wouldn't account for PS3 not working.
2. All the HDMIs work perfect with my 360.
3. Think the TV as stated above.
4. HDMI cables are undamaged and it is unlikely that both my PC and PS3 which are stationary somehow got damaged at the same time, and also the PS3 works on a different TV an my PC HDMI port works with a PC monitor.
5. Have not updated any firmewares of the sort.
6. Can't be either of those for the reasons above.

Edit: the TV model is LG 42LG30D-AA

Just for giggles, are you trying to use the PC or PS3 WITH the 360 still connected? Have you tried it with it disconnected. Just a thought.

I'd try disconnecting ALL devices from the TV. Unplug ALL devices from power for about three minutes. Reconnect all power to all devices. Turn the TV back on and reset all settings to default using it's settings menu. Reconnect the HDMI cable to the PS3 and then then the TV, or the PC to the TV, whichever. If there is still no change, then I'm at a loss as to what the issue might be.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS