PlayStation 4 to Focus on New Gameplay, Not Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Whats the point if your going to play the next gen of games why not have the top hardware available at the time of manufacture or are you trying to save a buck there Sony? My current PC already outshines those rumored specs, they can do better.

dudewitbow

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Whats the point if your going to play the next gen of games why not have the top hardware available at the time of manufacture or are you trying to save a buck there Sony? My current PC already outshines those rumored specs, they can do better.[/citation]
consoles generally have the game software optimized for performance, so its pushed to the limit. the PC is a stronger system when it comes to part choices and availability but in the end, consoles decide the entry market and well, most of the gamers would not be in their place if they hadn't had a console for themselves.

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Isn't this the same kind of "home entertainment hub" drivel we were heard about the PS3 before it's launch (with added social networking)?

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Thing is you have to expand beyond just specs, even ATI and Nvidia new this over time. Everything must expand, that's why Nvidia and ATI focused on adding functionality, multiple monitors, 3d, computing and expanding the GPU role in as many fronts as possible besides just raw horsepower. Yes the PS4 should have at least a 7870's worth of a GPU inside to be fair, it will most likely be not, which is a bummer but a large issue you have to realize is that consoles are evolving and must expand and I applaud that.

They are trying new things, if the DS has showed us anything is that Innovation is a huge driving force for the imagination of developers and the enjoyment of gamers even if the PSP was the more graphically powerful hardware. You have to give whatever comes up a shot, give it a good look over, try to imagine the vision and don't just trash it because it doesn't YOUR preconceived ideas of what it should be. Try to see where things could go, what territory could we reach, especially with the popularity of streaming these days on Twitch.tv I'm excited about this possible "Share" button. Take a break from the specs a second and hopefully we may see something great! Here's Hoping!

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]gilgamex[/nom]Try to see where things could go, what territory could we reach, especially with the popularity of streaming these days on Twitch.tv I'm excited about this possible "Share" button. Take a break from the specs a second and hopefully we may see something great! Here's Hoping![/citation]

I would say Twitch.tv isn't a good example given their recent "Turbo" service.

Other than that, I agree that the mold needs to be broken and things need to be expanded on with hardware at least.

I will say that this "Share/like/thumbs up" stuff that is popping up on just about every site is starting to get on my nerves as it feels like every site is trying to be in the "in" crowd. If I wanted something like that I would use Facebook.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
As a PC gamer who realizes that the majority of games are built for consoles and then later ported to PC, this is somewhat disappointing.

But I'll also admit that this is a smart thing for Sony to do. Can't help but feel that I heard something very similar with PS3 though...

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
More gimmicks? Lol thats all consoles can do uh? Stupid worthless gimmicks to lure in gullible people go figure.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
.....so...it looks like I'll still be staying with my GODLIKE PS 2 after all...
...another 8 years.....sigh....Sony, what the fuck are you doing....

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
and slowly but surely the console morphs back into a PC

...all the while still wearing its "different" dress trying to convince people to buy cut back hardware at subsidised prices which will hold them back for Many Years all the while selling them overpriced games to help pay for the aging platform they got "cheap".

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
its not like it will change 1% off the play station. the ps3 got lunched on the same idea. and little changed from the hole gaming experience. but i don`t see the point of getting an expensive equipment on the simple idea of not letting you use a mouse for gaming, cuss at the heart of today's consoles it is the only real difference.

today's pc are simple to use, i dear to say simpler then consoles cuss if you get an error in a console you are so often fucked, But pc thx to google youll get a good idea of the problem and a solution. And seeing how pc got steam and programs like steam we are getting less problems and consoles in general more over time red ring of death for one but ps3 had some stuff i hated back in the day i owned one.

The cost for a gaming pc today is also low, and in Sweden pc games are quite allot cheaper for the same game from console to pc you get of around 10-20 dollars worth.

okey one more. i asked a kinda friend why he liked gaming on consoles over pc. and he told me that he could relax in the sofa only needing a controller. and if you don`t think you can do so with a pc you need to do some research cuss i take a pc powered home entertainment/gaming system 100% over a console.

kyzarvs

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
The drawback is that the PlayStation 3's non-gaming offering isn't quite as robust as the Xbox 360
huh???

As neither has any codec support worth a damn, I use PS3 media server on my Debian box to serve and transcode films to my PS3 and 360. As the PS3 has gigabit LAN and the 360 only has 10/100, the 360 is crap at streaming full-quality transcoded 1080p data. The PS3 handles everything very well and with the Blu-Ray remote, is a doddle.

Of course, if EITHER devices had decent codec support, transcoding into MPEG2 wouldn't be a requirement...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I'm almost willing to guarantee that the PlayStation 4 doesn't sell at a loss due to how good the hardware is in it Sony's going to sink is a company. The hard-core gamers never going to accept the console that's a gimmick again like Nintendo. Hell the only reason Nintendo sold so well and will sell so well on the we you as they have exclusives that no one else can really touch.

Sure Sony has a few exclusives but none of them are really compelling enough to completely by new system just for that and they really going to alternate gaming modes, I really think that PlayStation four is going to die.

Now if the 360 also pulls this crap, there's Sony might have a chance. And it's sad looking like the 360 is going to pull this crap.

Really always consoles need to do have the oculus rift as a primary source support it from day one, allow for 1080 P to be rendered at least 30 frames a second. And there you go you might have a compelling reason to upgrade console. Really the one thing that I want in these more than anything else is tessellation because with tessellation map you can have it set to a lower quality on the console yet the PC gets a far higher and better visual quality then they will, and that's really all I'm hoping for. In the rumored specs from any of the two consoles they have tessellation engine in the GPU at the very least, can anyone talk about the we you and tell me if it has tessellation engine.

whimseh

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
This is just like modern OSes turning towards touchscreens, this is NOT the future!! The Playstation is not a media hub, it's a video game system. This is just like good video game franchises going cheap by making MMOs. The downfall has begun.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Whats the point if your going to play the next gen of games why not have the top hardware available at the time of manufacture or are you trying to save a buck there Sony? My current PC already outshines those rumored specs, they can do better.[/citation]Amazingly enough, current consoles are STILL wowing people (consumers) with their ability to crank out new games that look pretty damn good for what's under the hood. To be honest, I could see the 360 and PS3 going another 5 years with the right software development. For some damn reason graphical ability seems to be driving the market and it's just not the case. A good game is a good game which is why we have emulators and millions of people playing them.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]whimseh[/nom]This is just like modern OSes turning towards touchscreens, this is NOT the future!! The Playstation is not a media hub, it's a video game system. This is just like good video game franchises going cheap by making MMOs. The downfall has begun.[/citation]Yeah, yeah, yeah.. and Windows XP sucked compared to 98SE... and Windows 7 sucked compared to XP and on and on and on and on...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]whimseh[/nom]This is just like modern OSes turning towards touchscreens, this is NOT the future!! The Playstation is not a media hub, it's a video game system. This is just like good video game franchises going cheap by making MMOs. The downfall has begun.[/citation]

*sorry if this dub posts, upload seamed to fail first time

no... as they get more and more powerful, i would be mad if they didnt become media hubs, able to stream my collection to where ever i set it up, or stream internet and such...

the problem is they are saying its not about power, but game play evolution... which is a MASSIVE mistake.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]consoles generally have the game software optimized for performance, so its pushed to the limit. the PC is a stronger system when it comes to part choices and availability but in the end, consoles decide the entry market and well, most of the gamers would not be in their place if they hadn't had a console for themselves.[/citation]all it takes is to have PC 1 generation ahead of the console to run everything console can. So the optimization isnt really making huge diff.

PS3 was out @ 2006 with a 7800GT GPU, a core 2 duo @ 2.8-3Ghz, 8800GTX was out at the same year. PS3 are running games like bf3 @ 720p @ 30fps @ much lower graphic detail with multiplayer only 24vs24 players.

I was able to use my weaker PC 3.2GHz Pentium Dual-core + 9800GT to run bf3 @ low quality setting @ 720p @ 30fps @ 32vs32 players server easily.

With the current spec of PS4 spec rumored to be on the low end side of our PC spec. I will not be any surprise that a quad core i5 with a decent GPU like GTX480/570/6900/7800 will be holding up the console ported game pretty well for many many years to come. So soldier2013's comment on his PC may not be wrong after all.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
So what are they taking the Apple approach now, make modest improvements every generation while telling people it's the latest and greatest?

The more I hear about the new consoles the less I care.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]I was able to use my weaker PC 3.2GHz Pentium Dual-core + 9800GT to run bf3 @ low quality setting @ 720p @ 30fps @ 32vs32 players server easily.[/citation]
I'm calling this claim into question. I had an old 2007 rig with 8800GTX and OCed core2, BF3 struggles at 720p and low detail, where the graphics become jarringly fugly. I could list 30fps for a big multiplayer map but that does not include random framerate dips as action gets heated.

Status
Not open for further replies.