PlayStation Controller Gives Girl Sores

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I prefer a different term: "Dumbassatitis"

Seriously, while I'm not a fan of PS controller this has nothing to do with video games. I can get sores from hitting to many balls at the driving range. If you don't take care of your body bad things will happen. Wow that's a shock.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]I prefer a different term: "Dumbassatitis"Seriously, while I'm not a fan of PS controller this has nothing to do with video games. I can get sores from hitting to many balls at the driving range. If you don't take care of your body bad things will happen. Wow that's a shock.[/citation]
Exactly. She was gripping the controller to tightly. I've used a Dualshock controller on multiple 24+ gaming sessions, and never had any issues like that.

Although I did get some bad peeling in my hands when I was playing Budokai a few years back. But that has little to do with this.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"Her parents said she had been playing games on her PlayStation for several hours a day and continued to do so even after the sores developed."

So the parents knowingly allowed her to continue playing even after the sores developed? Am I reading this right. Sounds to me like 1. she needs to take better care of herself 2. Parents need to not allow her to play for as long and especially not after the sores developed.
What parent allows their child to continue in an activity once that activity produces sores? Once the sores are there they should have had her stop until the sores went away and not wait for a doctor to say so. Maybe I am wrong here, but just sounds like common sense and another case where the video games become the babysitter and as a result the video games get wrongfully blamed.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]"Her parents said she had been playing games on her PlayStation for several hours a day and continued to do so even after the sores developed."So the parents knowingly allowed her to continue playing even after the sores developed? Am I reading this right. Sounds to me like 1. she needs to take better care of herself 2. Parents need to not allow her to play for as long and especially not after the sores developed.What parent allows their child to continue in an activity once that activity produces sores? Once the sores are there they should have had her stop until the sores went away and not wait for a doctor to say so. Maybe I am wrong here, but just sounds like common sense and another case where the video games become the babysitter and as a result the video games get wrongfully blamed.[/citation]
The problem with your arguement is that most people in the world have lost all common sense.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Ok...I can relax. When I read the title I was immediately (and unfortunately) expecting to read about some ridiculous lawsuit against Sony because some girl is different or plays too many video games. Who knows...there is probably a lawyer reading this same story and trying to figure out a good frivolous lawsuit story.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Nothing worse than picking up a game controller encrusted in the sweat and grime of someone else. Need to keep alchohol wipes next to the the console, assuming she had any friends or siblings, which doesn't sound likely.

JumpKickJoe

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
This child is obviously really "Special". I have gamed hours on end with old Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega, N64, Even down to good ole' Atari. We all know that the game isn't going anywhere. If your hands are hurting, put down the controller! Anyone who sees sores on their hands after "beasting" video games, would realize " Let me stop paying for a while cause my hands are starting to get sore." Common sense is so UNcommon in people these days!

The parents should have never made a child in the first place cause apparently they don't know how to raise one with enough sense to use their own brain to realize if they are in pain, stop doing what you're doing to ease the pain!

Airrax

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
This is retarded. I have excessively sweaty hand (not the wrists the hands), and have hand many multi-hour/multi-day gaming sessions. I'm talking putting on 50 hours of game play on good old FFVII in a few days. With my excessive gaming and excessively sweaty hands, I have never, ever had this problem. EVER.

I'd say the only person dumber than the parents, for letting their daughter play to the point of "red, sore lumps on the palms of the hands," is the doctor for thinking that this is caused by gripping the controller too tightly. If anything, I'd blame this on the girl being allergic to the plastic from the controller. It makes more sense, and by running a few test it can easily be proven.

FrustratedRhino

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
So after the same controller design for years... magically this one idiot kid gets sores and the whole playstation is to blame. So lets see if I light off fireworks and keep my hand near them while they go off, is that the fault of the fireworks? perhaps the lighter? Oh wait this generation is the "it's not my fault" generation and we have to look for some THING to blame to rule out personal responsibility. These are the type of people that developed the twinky defense for murder, and similair stupidity.

It is times like these I wish evolution would have decided that common sense was required for survival.

CRH7386

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Wow, I bet they are going to waste all sorts of money testing out this theory so they can yet again link something completely ridiculous to playing video games. Maybe if I stick my hand in a pot of boiling water then the doctor will conclude that water is linked to causing third degree burns! What a joke.....

hurbt

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]and i thought my sores were from ...... I guess it was my playstation![/citation]

next comes hair growing on your palms, followed by blindness.... you better be careful, man!

All you guys calling the parents stupid are being a bit harsh. The skin disorder is very rare, which is why none of you get it, despite your "retarded" 24hr++ gaming sessions. I mean seriously, how can you call someone else retarded when you do the same thing? Also, the parents stopped the kid from playing for 10 days... which doesn't sound too stupid to me.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]hurbt[/nom]despite your "retarded" 24hr++ gaming sessions. I mean seriously, how can you call someone else retarded when you do the same thing?[/citation]
Since I said 24 hours gaming sessions, I guess you were talking to me. But I never called anyone retarded.

The skin irritation would make sense if she was tightly gripping the controller for extended periods.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I got bumps on my thumb once for playing a Sega Genesis game where the controller was failing and you had to press really hard to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.