Review PlayStation Portal review

Nov 15, 2023
Internet speed has nothing to do with how the PlayStation Portal will perform on your local network. If you want to give this thing a fair review you should at the very least switch your PS5 from it's default 2.4GHz to 5GHz or use ethernet. My PS5 sits right next to my fancy ROG Rapture router and it still gets half as good of a connection through 5G as it does through ethernet. I was really hoping Sony would use the screen on the Portal not only as a remote gaming device but also as an accessory to the default PS5 experience. Would have been cool to see it display the in-game map or your inventory.

Nov 16, 2023
A product in Sweden just launched which is a 4G Android 12 1080P projector (Estelle One) with built-in display. We have streamed games with XBox Game Pass and Shadow over it and works really well, especially directly from the 4G network in Sweden where we got the best latency vs Wifi from broadband. It also support LAN connection via USB C if you want best possible latency.

Nov 16, 2023
Something that should be noted, and all the consoles are going this way because of sheer greed, they've locked out hard of hearing hearing aids users and more should know (and criticize in articles please!) that when a company removes Bluetooth audio as an option, they lock out hearing aid users. This has to stop!

We can't just plug our hearing aids into a 3.5mm jack! We need Bluetooth! It's disgusting that both Microsoft and Sony are discriminating against the hard of hearing by removing all direct streaming audio options for hearing aid users.

What is a Portal to me if there's no way for me to hear what I'm playing? It's getting ridiculous!

Either these companies never even give a second's thought about hearing aids users when they plan their greed, thus indicating a lack of diversity, and disability awareness, or they know full well what they're doing. Neither makes them look good.

So no, I won't be buying this pretty useless to begin with product. I also won't be buying another console or anything from Sony since every available audio output has to be double processed to be able to get to my hearing aids. And I can't game with friends. Even though my hearing aids work as a headset, I can't use them on a PS5, and I cannot use a microphone headset with the hearing aids at the same time.

The solution to ALL these problems is to just include Bluetooth! If they have developed a better streaming method, package that with it. If it's better, prove it and people will use it. But I'll be frank, I consider it 100% greed at the expense of the disabled.

Reactions: StefanWes
Nov 20, 2023
I had plenty of latency and connection issues out of the box and at home. But I also noticed I was having these issues with remote play on my phone as well. I also could not use the portal with my phone’s hotspot or other public wifi networks, it just would not connect. I did some digging online and found that I needed to set up port forwarding on my home router. After I did that I’ve had zero issues using it anywhere at home. I even took out out to the backyard. Outside of the home it now connects easily with my phone’s hotspot and the public wifi that previously didn’t work. You will be at the mercy of your hotspot or public Wi-Fi’s speed, but the connectivity is there once you set up port forwarding. Try it out!