Please help. I have a LG 55" 4K TV and Denon 1300 Receiver with some high end towers

MikeT12

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
After a full day, I've finally gotten the audio/video setup in my new home going.

I have the following setup. I own a 55" LG 4k TV. I have a Denon AVR-X1300W receiver. I have everything going though the receiver via HDMI. I have my mixer (turntables) output going into my receiver via RCAs.

Now my TV has an optical out and the saleman told me to connect this $100 cable from my 4k TV to my Denon Receiver. What exactly is this doing? I'm hearing sound through my towers when playing the TV already.

I can't find any real explanation. My TV is mounted to the wall already, but I believe it has 3HDMIs input and a single optical output. Is the HDMI (connected from TV to receiver) also sending audio to the receiver? I read something about if the connector is "ARC". I probably have "ARC". Is optical better? Please help.

What's this 4k passover talk about as well?

I've spent a good fortune to get some good audio for my music. If this $100 cord is going to make things better or more streamlined, I will use it for sure!

Solution
The insanely expensive optical audio cable is redundant.
If you are using ARC it performs the exact same function of getting audio from the TV into the Denon. It uses extra wires inside the HDMI cable you use to get the picture from the receiver to the TV. If you don't use the internal TV tuner or smart streaming apps in the TV you don't need either one.
If anything the ARC is superior to the optical but certainly not worse.
Sounds like you are good to go.
Sell you a $100 cable?

Most likely (if useful at all) is for the 4K video portion.

This $100 cable, I bet my lunch money, doesn't do anything to your audio.

If your Denon is 4k compatible, all you have to worry about is using HDMI 2.0 cables, again this is for video, does nothing for your audio.

The insanely expensive optical audio cable is redundant.
If you are using ARC it performs the exact same function of getting audio from the TV into the Denon. It uses extra wires inside the HDMI cable you use to get the picture from the receiver to the TV. If you don't use the internal TV tuner or smart streaming apps in the TV you don't need either one.
If anything the ARC is superior to the optical but certainly not worse.
Sounds like you are good to go.

Solution