Please HELP ME choose between HP, Lenovo, or Dell Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkRoseC

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
I've never owned or purchased a laptop before, and now I finally have some money buy one. I'm a 30 something female that understands how technology works, and I'm a quick learner. I currently own and use a 2009 HP desktop, but I've been needing something smaller and portable if I need it to be.

I want to see if I could get your opinion on about 3 different brand of laptops that I have my eye on. I can't decide which will be the best choice when it comes to build quality, design, display, keyboard, speakers/sound quality. I've had tech reps suggest Asus, Lenovo, and HP to me. I won't be gaming, but I will be streaming music, downloading music, watching videos online, browsing the web with several tabs open, and editing photos with free programs like Gimp and PhotoScape, and creating new posts for my website by using WordPress software.

Specs that I want:
  • - i5 or i7 (5th or 6th generation Intel, but I prefer the newest 6th generation)
  • - 1080p Full HD 15.6" display
  • - good/great speakers with good/great sound quality
  • - touchscreen
  • - good/great build quality
  • - 8GB RAM or more
  • - HDD or SSD (however, SSD cost a lot more)
  • - price range $500 - $850
  • - NO optical drive! It's not needed at all, and I don't like the extra bulk.
  • - It doesn't have to be a 2-in-1 convertible, but I seem to like their functionality.

HP ENVY x360 15.6" Full HD IPS (2 choices)

Product Name: m6-w011dx
Product Number: M1V60UA
Microprocessor: 2.4GHz 5th generation Intel Core i7-5500U with turbo boost up to 3.0GHz Dual Core
Microprocessor Cache: 4MB L3 Cache
Memory: 8GB
Video Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 930M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory
Hard Drive: 1TB HDD

Product Name: m6-w103dx
Product Number: M1V66UA
Microprocessor: 2.3GHz 6th generation Intel Core i5-6200U with turbo boost up to 2.8GHz Dual Core
Microprocessor Cache: 3MB L3 Cache
Video Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 520 with up to 4172MB total graphics memory

Lenovo Flex 3 15.6" Full HD (2 choices)

Product Number: 80R4000DUS
Microprocessor: Intel Core i5-6200U Processor (2.30GHz 1600MHz 3MB)
Video Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 520
Hard Drive: 500GB HDD

Product Number: 80R4000JUS
Microprocessor: Intel Core i7-6500U Processor (2.50GHz 1600MHz 4MB)

Dell Inspiron 7000 Series 2-in-1 15.6" Full HD (2 choices)

Product Number: I7558-4012BLK
Microprocessor: Intel Core i5-5200U Processor (2 cores, 2.2 GHz, Turbo Boost up to 2.7 GHz,3 MB L3 cache)
Video Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5500

Product Number: I7568-2867T
Microprocessor: Intel Core i5-6200U Processor (2 cores, 2.2 GHz, Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz,3 MB L3 cache)

I'd appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Thanks! :)

Hyboria

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015
It's a shame they don't offer the 15.6'' HP with an SSD.

Out of the three options I would definitely recommend the HP. That metal body is fantastic and it has an excellent screen - these features for me put it ahead of the Dell or Lenovo.

Go for the i7 version of the HP as it has a dedicated GPU which will help out with your photo editing.

All are good laptop so I think it boils down to personal preferences.

The HP Envy x360 has the best specs overall, but there is one thing about HP laptops that has bothered me in the past couple / few years. That is the over-sized mousepad (or touchpad) which is about the size of an iPhone 6. To me that is bizarre especially since I am one of those people who rests their hands on the keyboard while typing. HP programs their mousepads to disabled themselves when you start type and after you finish typing there is a brief pause before they are enabled. The screen is glossy which most people like, but I prefer an anti-glare matte finish screen which does not reflect light like a mirror. The only information about the screen that I know of is that it uses IPS technology which generally means it potentially has better color accuracy (when calibrated) and wider viewing angles compared to LCD screens that uses TN technology and there is no information about color gamut that I can find.

The Lenovo is pretty decent, but unlike the other two laptops this one has a plastic chassis which makes it seem to be of lower quality. The 1080p screen has an anti-glare coating but it is still looks to be a bit reflective based on pictures that I have seen; it definitely does not have a matte finish screen. Based on a couple of reviews, the colors are stated to be bright and vibrant. But there is no information about color gamut. The display uses TN technology.

The Dell Inspiron 7000 has an IPS screen with relatively low brightness. From a review I have read it's brightness is only 209 nits which lower then the average 250 nit that most laptop screens have; if not higher. Color gamut is measured at only 62% of sRGB which basically means its color range is not as ideal for photo editing compared to laptops with color gamut of 98%, but those LCD screens are typically found in more expensive laptops. But at least there is information about the color gamut for this laptop unlike the other two.

72% sRGB is was once considered the standard but back around 2007 / 2008 (I think) there was the push for wide color gamut (98% sRGB). 72% sRGB is basically fine for images displayed on the screen. The push for wide color gamut was basically due to the color difference when comparing printed images (on high quality paper) to the source material on a computer screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.