Please help me choose between two Acer laptops, both have significant cons and pluses.

Blitzriu

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
Hello,

I have couple of days to make a decision on buying a laptop. I have been looking in to all possibilities and by doing my own research I have narrowed down my choice to two Acer laptops. However the choice is not simple because both laptops have significant pluses and cons. I would like to choose the laptop that has the best performance, and I need your help to understand which one is faster.

1# Laptop - Acer E5-574G (NX.G3HEL.002)
CPU : Intel i5-6200U
RAM : 4GB DDR3L 1600 MHz
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GT940M 2GB

2# Laptop -Acer E5-575G (NX.GDWEL.031)
CPU : i3-6100U
RAM : 6GB DDR4 2133 MHz
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2GB GDDR5

The rest is mostly the same, HDD being exactly the same. There are other minor differences, but nothing that would impact the performance.

The GPU seems to be significantly better on 2# laptop, however it has quite worse CPU unit. How would it affect overall performance?

Any answer, even a simple opinion on which would you choose, would matter a lot!

Solution
After researching a bit on CPUs of both the laptops, I came to know about a fact that there are only minor differences in the performance of both the CPUs. Both are dual core so no core differences here and both are skylake that is latest 6th gen cpu. Here are all benchmark comparison if you want to check - http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6500-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/3513vs3511

In my opinion going with the Acer E5 575G will be better but I would still like to ask you what are the things you are planning to do on your laptop?

Blitzriu

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

Anyone?

Blitzriu

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
A bit of an update,

Earlier I said that I have spare 8gb ram that I could install. Turns out it has wrong voltages and the MB does not support it. And SSD is also not a possibility because 128gb SSD's are quite useless for the data amount I work with.

I am still hoping for an answer on which of these laptops are better overall. The price difference is 50$. I5 version is the more expensive one.

Johnson Mike

Honorable
May 4, 2016
After researching a bit on CPUs of both the laptops, I came to know about a fact that there are only minor differences in the performance of both the CPUs. Both are dual core so no core differences here and both are skylake that is latest 6th gen cpu. Here are all benchmark comparison if you want to check - http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6500-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/3513vs3511

In my opinion going with the Acer E5 575G will be better but I would still like to ask you what are the things you are planning to do on your laptop?

Solution

Jason_157

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
Hi Blitzriu, although the CPU on the E5 575G is worse than the 574G, I think that you would find a better performance on the 575G. I don't know if you worry much about what the laptops look like, but I need to put this point out there. I personally think that the 575G also looks a lot better than the 574G. Overall, I think that you should get the 575G, as previously mentioned, it will perform better and also looks better. Hope I helped!

Cheers :)