Please help me clear out my junk

Jonathan Abbott

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014
I am no tech wizard, but I know my way around hidden files, but my problem I bring too you today, is that i am cleaning my HD and i need some expert pointers to what i dont need anymore.The more space the better. Any Tips help I am just worried about deleting important files so i thought id come here and ask for a hand.
xfnqk1.jpg

35bgk7m.jpg

23uq80w.jpg

Solution
Well I see you have bit torrent installed, if you downloaded games and movies with that, I would move them to an external hard drive.
+1 ccleaner, uninstall games you don't want to keep.

Also you might want to buy an ssd and transfer games there if your HD is too small
If you want a standard hard drive, get a Westen digital black 1tb - 2tb (5 years warranty)
you can move some stuff on them

BTW your java is outdated and this is the best way to get viruses, get rid of it or update to latest version.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Well I see you have bit torrent installed, if you downloaded games and movies with that, I would move them to an external hard drive.
+1 ccleaner, uninstall games you don't want to keep.

Also you might want to buy an ssd and transfer games there if your HD is too small
If you want a standard hard drive, get a Westen digital black 1tb - 2tb (5 years warranty)
you can move some stuff on them

BTW your java is outdated and this is the best way to get viruses, get rid of it or update to latest version.

Solution
Windows 8 comes with hibernation activated. This allows the laptop to go into hibernation mode when it is left alone for a very long time which allows you to quickly get back into Windows 8. It also allows the laptop to quickly boot up from a cold start; my laptop has a hybrid hard drive and I can boot into Windows in about 15 - 20 seconds. However, it the Hiberfil.sys file was taking about about 4GB of data. I decided to disable it when I was making an image of the C: drive for backup purposes which results in a smaller disk image. When disabled it takes about 50 seconds to boot into Windows.

To disable Hibernation copy and paste the following into a TXT file. Save it and then change the file extension to REG. Then double click the file. You will then get a window asking if you want to allow the program to make changes to your laptop; click Yes. I simply named the file "Win 8 - Hiberation-Disable.reg".

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power]
"HibernateEnabled"=dword:00000000

To re-enable hibernation, copy and paste the following into another TXT file and change it to REG. I named it "Win 8 - Hiberation-Enable.reg".

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power]
"HibernateEnabled"=dword:00000001

If you have not done so already, right click on your C: Drive and click "Properties". In the window that pops up click the "Disk Cleanup" button and it will start scanning your laptop, it will take some time. When a new window pops up informing you the amount of space you can save, click the "Clean up system files" button. This will scan your laptop for system update files that can be safely deleted. Again, it will take some time to scan. If you have already done this before, then you will likely not free up much space doing this again, but at least it is worth a try.