Solved! Please help me with limited needs outdoor IP cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

artesian79

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
First let me say I've tried two and they havent worked out. I've used a Zomodo, which I really liked, and a Momentom that was sold to me as an outdoor cam but wasn't. The capability of these cameras met my needs , but they were not for use outside. I even started looking at trail cameras with remote viewing but these were costly and didn't necessarily provide me with live viewing.

I need a camera to set up at various locations depending where I am pet sitting. When the pet is an indoor/outdoor pet I need to determine the normal time of when it comes to the door to be let in and fed and/or when it comes to the door to be let in for the night. When using the Zomodo I was able to meet my needs if a window was near the door where the animal returns to. But in some cases this doesn't work and the camera needs to be set outside to monitor the area I need, My friend borrowed the camera and used it outside in a covered area but it stopped working after a light rain fell.

I want to also use the camera to determine what animal is eating my plants. So it's outside again and the trigger time needs to be fast. I used the Momentum to do this and found that an animal would trigger to motion activation, but by the time the recording started, the animal wasnt caught in the frame.

I also use the camera to watch over an area to see when a mama cat is returning to the nest so that I can identify when I might be able to trap her to get her and her kittens into a rescue . In this case I need to again be able to use it outside and need the notification to be quick so that I can login to count the kittens.

The Zomodo and Momentum were in the $25-$35 range. I was tempted by a $150 Spypoint Link Micro which used its own cell service which allowed me more freedom by running off a battery and not needing wireless LAN access from the homeowner. It is also more expensive than I felt I should need to spend.

I all cases my needs are short lived and don't require tons of storage. I do need to remotely view them vs going and grabbing an SD card to look at. I prefer a free cloud storage plan.

I'm hitting my head on the wall at this point. Can some more experienced people point me in theright direction?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Solution
First let me say I've tried two and they havent worked out. I've used a Zomodo, which I really liked, and a Momentom that was sold to me as an outdoor cam but wasn't. The capability of these cameras met my needs , but they were not for use outside. I even started looking at trail cameras with remote viewing but these were costly and didn't necessarily provide me with live viewing.

I need a camera to set up at various locations depending where I am pet sitting. When the pet is an indoor/outdoor pet I need to determine the normal time of when it comes to the door to be let in and fed and/or when it comes to the door to be let in for the night. When using the Zomodo I was able to meet my needs if a window was near the door where...
Sep 7, 2019

I need a camera to set up at various locations depending where I am pet sitting. When the pet is an indoor/outdoor pet I need to determine the normal time of when it comes to the door to be let in and fed and/or when it comes to the door to be let in for the night. When using the Zomodo on I was able to meet my needs if a window was near the door where the animal returns to. But in some cases this doesn't work and the camera needs to be set outside to monitor the area I need, My friend borrowed the camera and used it outside in a covered area but it stopped working after a light rain fell.

I want to also use the camera to determine what animal is eating my plants. So it's outside again and the trigger time needs to be fast. I used the Momentum to do this and found that an animal would trigger to motion activation, but by the time the recording started, the animal wasnt caught in the frame.

I also use the camera to watch over an area to see when a mama cat is returning to the nest so that I can identify when I might be able to trap her to get her and her kittens into a rescue . In this case I need to again be able to use it outside and need the notification to be quick so that I can login to count the kittens.

The Zomodo and Momentum were in the $25-$35 range. I was tempted by a $150 Spypoint Link Micro which used its own cell service which allowed me more freedom by running off a battery and not needing wireless LAN access from the homeowner. It is also more expensive than I felt I should need to spend.

I all cases my needs are short lived and don't require tons of storage. I do need to remotely view them vs going and grabbing an SD card to look at. I prefer a free cloud storage plan.

I'm hitting my head on the wall at this point. Can some more experienced people point me in theright direction?

Thanks so much!
Once you don't need remote viewing on mobile phones, tablets or computers, which means the recording video doesn't need to be sent over the network, you don't need Internet connection at all to use a wireless WiFi security camera or a wired IP camera.
And another flexible solution is, you can choose a 4G/3G LTE mobile network security camera that does not require a WiFi connection to work and to send remote live views and alerts (explained in the third part).

I need a camera to set up at various locations depending where I am pet sitting. When the pet is an indoor/outdoor pet I need to determine the normal time of when it comes to the door to be let in and fed and/or when it comes to the door to be let in for the night. When using the Zomodo I was able to meet my needs if a window was near the door where the animal returns to. But in some cases this doesn't work and the camera needs to be set outside to monitor the area I need, My friend borrowed the camera and used it outside in a covered area but it stopped working after a light rain fell.

Thanks so much!

Your solution is one you don't like, you need to spend money to get stuff. Outdoor, battery, wireless viewing, things are not cheap to be made to last outdoors. Something like this setup with two cameras is not bad for what it can do https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-...echargeable-wire-free-cameras/LWF1080B-62-1-p

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.