Please help. What kind of virus do I have and what should I do?

Dank_10

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
So yesterday I got a call in the middle of the night that my credit card has been locked due to suspicious activity. Someone made a $299 purchase at WalMart.com. It was not me. Earlier that day however I purchased some stuff from BodyBuilding.com

Now keep in mind BB.com already has my payment info saved. In the checkout screen it does however have you verify the 3 digit code on the back of the card, and on this same screen it has the full credit card number, expiration date and billing address. But keep in mind all I input was my 3 digit security code.

I don't think its a coincidence that my credit card info was stolen. It couldn't have been stolen physically because it has been in the same exact place for a week, and I only live with 1 person and they would not take it.

Now here's where things get interesting: I have Kaspersky Lab: Total security. This is all their packages put into 1. I have it running anytime my computer is on. It even came with a browser addon to make sure the sites I visit are safe and I don't download anything bad. And no it's not free I paid for the 1 year license....I think it was $69.99.

I did a scan right after(a full scan, not a quick scan), it took 30 min and then it said that there was no bad files found. Said computer was clean. This is not the first time I scanned, I scan at least once a week and on top of that the software has auto-scan when it does it in the background. I download all the updates whenever one is available, and I only do this in the Kaspersky Lab control center program, I do not go online and click any links.

However clearly it is safe to say I have a virus. Now I don't think it's a keylogger because the only thing I input was my 3 digit code. It was something that clearly captured the screen. What kind of virus is this? And more importantly what should I do? I keep a lot of sensitive data on this computer and routinely log into my PayPal, Bank, and other sites. I really really do not want to format hard drive..........what do you guys suggest? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

and112

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
In case it was a virus on the respective computer(maybe the info was stolen before you had Kaspersky or God knows)I suggest using the Kaspersky rescue disk and Bitdefender's one.
You should really replace your credit card so that the stolen info is invalid and won't be used for further purchases.

rickin432

Estimable
Jan 8, 2015
Kaspersky actually is the best out there. It is much more likely that your credit card "activity" was leaked.

When you shop online or pay bills, this activity can be tracked by commercial sites and sold to a variety of internet companies.
Some of these can be malicious in nature.

Directly ask your bank about this, and about securing your banking information.

and112

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015

Isn't selling or giving away credit card details like ccv ,credit card number etc. illegal .Personally I don't know of any responsable online shop that gives away this info.Again it may have been phishing or something else.
PS:Some banks have a system that also needs a code received on sms to authorize online purchases kind of what Google or steam do when checking your phone number.I suggest turning that on alongside sms notification of credit card payments.
Have a nice day ,

Rexer

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Doesn't sound like your computer's unsafe. It seems more like the site you went to has a hacker that accessed your information.
I'm not too worried about my computer. I worry about the sites that have products I need but seem obscure. Seldom do I purchase from suspected sites hackers hang around like Yahoo and Pay Pal. Only if I need to do I use them.
Speaking of health stuff, I tried a 'free to use' product over the internet not long ago (I'll call this product 'X'). X claimed all they wanted was shipping cost. So I obliged their request. I later looked up the blogs on X and many first time users of X said they found money charged to their account as part of a purchase plan they (supposedly) agreed with. So I called my bank the next day and said, "Can you cancel my card?" and they did. A month later, Product X sent an Email stating they could not access my card's account, that I owed them money for a heath plan.
Haw, haw. fat chance. I did no such thing.
Going back to anti-virus' to use, I think many of them are good and have great back logs of virus information they access. AVG, Avira, Avast!, BitDefender, Kaspersky, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc. I usually go to 'Major Geek' to use the tech guidelines of how to use and protect. They've got a lot of tools they recommend like Ccleaner, Malwarebytes and Spybot. Their pretty strict about threads but really try to get antivirus done correctly.
You might want to go to Bleeping Computer, too. They have tech stuff use like Rkill, RougeKiller, ComboFix, etc. Some of it is free to use. I like to download my stuff from there rather than Cnet to avoid their heavy advertising.

Toothless010

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015
"However clearly it is safe to say I have a virus."

You have no proof it is a virus. Cancel your CC and have a new one issued. This probably was already done when the CC called you.

When you transmit your CC information on a transaction, we dont know if the person at the other end takes additional steps to use your information illegally.

What you experienced happens to millions of people. Why did I have 5 charges in Germany one day? Why did someone charge gas in a different state? Nothing is secure, even places where you think you money is safe.

When these unauthorized charges happen, DISCOVER reissue's the exact same CC number and changes 1-CC expiration date and 2-three diget code. I keep the same CC number.

You either have a virus sitting on your computer or you dont. Since you have no proof of virus, something happened after your CC transaction took place. Something we will never know and will bug you of course :)

TRENDING THREADS