Plugged in headphones but sound still comes out from speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoongioh

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
I have an ASUS laptop (about half a year old) with Windows 10. When I plug my headphones in, the sound still comes out from the speakers. I've already tried going into Sound to try to fix this by making sure the headphones are the default output for sound, but the headphones don't even show up in the list when they're plugged in (or not plugged in).

I've already tried restarting my laptop and I've even made sure that the list in Sound would show Disabled and Disconnected devices, but this doesn't work either.

Any solutions to this?

Updates to the two current possible solutions:
1.) No sound comes from them at all, but I'm not sure about the second part. My headphones were working just yesterday and even this morning, so it could possibly be something else.

2.) No, it isn't a USB headset.

Solution
Does sound come from the headphones at all?

What could be happening is that the laptop has a combo 3.5mm microphone and headphone port. You usually need an adapter for this as it's a 4-pole plug and plugging a 3-pole plug into won't trip the sensor to let it know that something is plugged in.

Could be wrong, but all new laptops I've encountered seem to have went this route.
Does sound come from the headphones at all?

What could be happening is that the laptop has a combo 3.5mm microphone and headphone port. You usually need an adapter for this as it's a 4-pole plug and plugging a 3-pole plug into won't trip the sensor to let it know that something is plugged in.

Could be wrong, but all new laptops I've encountered seem to have went this route.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.