PLUGGED IN NOT CHARGING PROBLEM IN DELL

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drvinita

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015

terribleone12

Estimable
Jun 7, 2015
I have a Inspiron 5110. I had a plugged in not charging issue. Had replaced the charging port on the computer because it was visably broken, didn't fix it. Replaced the battery, didn't fix it. Ended up replacing the AC adapter with one on amazon. That fixed it

Chris Paul

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015

Battery is probably fine. I suspect the charger is at fault. Dell chargers are terrible, the cable near the jack gets bent over time and breaks the wires inside. This will allow your laptop to be powered by the charger but it will not charge your battery.

By the way $250 for a battery??? What is it made of? Spend no more than $50 for a decent battery.

graphsmith

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015
I have read a number of posts about this and I think there is more than one problem here. I have a new Dell battery in my L502 and, just as when I use the older battery, I was getting the "plugged in, not charging" warning intermittently. For the last month it has not gone into the charging mode at all. I opened up a page at the Dell website and found a program called, "System Checkup". I decided to try it, but I only paid for the single session (I think around $10). For the last two weeks the computer says, Fully charged for both my older and new battery. Try it or not as you wish. I'm not selling the program, but it did work for me when nothing else did.

Shan88

Estimable
Jul 13, 2015

THIS WORKS!!

I usually don't post on forums but my mind was just blown that this was all I needed to do. I did it and felt stupid thinking 'this will never work', and there in less then 10 seconds my laptop is charging again! So grateful, I was feeling really frustrated at the injustice that I would have to get a new charger after only buying this laptop 6 months ago.

JV431

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015
I found a simple 'solution':

I bought a secondhand Dell PR03X Docking Station for my Latitude E6500 at an auction for only €2 euros.
I seperated the docking part from the shelve part (easy) so I can keep it open and use the screen.
The adapter is now connected to the Docking Station, and the battery is charged through the connection underneath.

Problem solved, battery is charging, no more messages.

Hope this helps someone.

Kottie

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
Similar problem here, solved it by removing the battery and cleaning its connector and the receptacle in the bay (the camb like thingy).
Now it charges again.

fixit47

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015

hi
some of these dell chargers in the plug that goes in the laptop have a fine gold wire right in center they break off then you get this no charging problem also look at the connections in the socket as they get bent with time

Prashant_1

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015
my issue was that the battery was in 'unlock mode' i reseated the battery and locked it...voila..

heatherennis

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015
What is Dell Desktop Mode and how do I turn it off/on? I have the exact same problem you had - battery only charges when it's off.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Dell Desktop mode is a GOOD thing. Desktop-mode battery charge helps extend a laptop’s battery pack life cycle. When enabled, desktop mode monitors the charge status of the laptop battery, and if it spends most of the time at 100% charge while connected to the power adapter, desktop mode will automatically adjust the charge levels of the battery. The adjustments include regularly allowing the battery to discharge, even while plugged in. The benefits help slow the reduction of charge capacity over time and may even decrease the need to purchase a replacement battery during the life of your laptop.

NOTE: If desktop mode is enabled, users will see battery charge vary between 50%–100% while the power adapter is connected. To ensure batteries are charged to 100%, disconnect and reconnect the power adapter and the battery will charge to 100%.

gwljones

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015
I had the same problem, off to the workshop switched on the compressor and attached the dusting gun, removed the battery blew out the computer charging lead end and receiver point on the computer, blew out the battery connectors, the mounting point in the computer and everything else while I was at it, replaced the battery taped it securely in place and worked, good luck.

thebala

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
OMG THIS LEGITIMATELY WORKS
It says your computer is "plugged in, not charging" right? I thought this was a load of baloney but I tried it and immediately it said "plugged in, charging." Just blow in the charger and the slot and bam... And I spent all that time trying to figure this out when the solution was that easy.

vulpin85

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
Holy smokes! Got mine charging again FINALLY... After an entire week of trying literally EVERYTHING! I read every single forum on the internet and nothing worked for me, so here's what finally did it:

First, I went to 'Device manager' and clicked on 'Batteries', then disabled/enabled the ACPI. When it was enabled again, my laptop started charging again. However, after reading all of the threads recommending to update bios...I stupidly waited to get the 10% charge and then updated my bios. BIG MISTAKE! After updating bios, not only did the charge stop again...but I also lost my internet!
After a lot of research, I got my wifi back, but still no charge!

Then, finally I saw a post here saying to just turn the adapter plug clockwise/counter clockwise and WAHLAH! It's totally charging again!
Be careful with the bios suggestions. I tried EVERYTHING. New adapter, bios, the 10 step turn on/off, do the hokey pokey BS. Tried it ALL. Everything except buying a new battery. I refused to do that out of principle since I knew my battery was fine and this problem has affected TONS of people apparently, making dell hundreds of dollars in new, unnecessary battery purchases.

Try just turning the plug! Seriously. And a lot of prayer!

vulpin85

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
Holy smokes! Got mine charging again FINALLY... After an entire week of trying literally EVERYTHING! I read every single forum on the internet and nothing worked for me, so here's what finally did it:

First, I went to 'Device manager' and clicked on 'Batteries', then disabled/enabled the ACPI. When it was enabled again, my laptop started charging again. However, after reading all of the threads recommending to update bios...I stupidly waited to get the 10% charge and then updated my bios. BIG MISTAKE! After updating bios, not only did the charge stop again...but I also lost my internet!
After a lot of research, I got my wifi back, but still no charge!

Then, finally I saw a post here saying to just turn the adapter plug clockwise/counter clockwise and WAHLAH! It's totally charging again!
Be careful with the bios suggestions. I tried EVERYTHING. New adapter, bios, the 10 step turn on/off, do the hokey pokey BS. Tried it ALL. Everything except buying a new battery. I refused to do that out of principle since I knew my battery was fine and this problem has affected TONS of people apparently, making dell hundreds of dollars in new, unnecessary battery purchases.

Try just turning the plug! Seriously. And a lot of prayer!

Michael Frank

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016

Michael Frank

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
Thank you for telling me about this approach - I was pretty skeptical that it would work. I had bought brand new batteries (non-Dell) for my XPS 15 L502 and the battery charging stopped at 35%. I belew on the connections on the PC and on the battery and it DID START CHARGING! - on its way to 100%!!!

dkernan2

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
I've had this problem for a week. A few times, I was able to get it to charge when the laptop was off only. However, I just used compressed air in the AC adapter cord AND the computer power port and it started working!! I don't know if this is a permanent fix, but boy am I glad my computer is charging finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.